Creating Games (FIXED)

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Creating Games (FIXED)

Postby Penelope Pitstop » 14 Aug 2019, 21:38

Every time I try to create a map variant game, the system turns it into a standard game. Please help.
Penelope Pitstop
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1474
All-game rating: 1700
Timezone: GMT

Re: Creating Games

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 14 Aug 2019, 23:38

Penelope Pitstop wrote:Every time I try to create a map variant game, the system turns it into a standard game. Please help.

We've occasionally seen a weird caching issue whereby certain browsers ignore the actual settings selected and instead submit old values. I'd start by deleting cache / cookies and restarting the browser.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1501
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby SelhurstPark » 15 Aug 2019, 00:32

Is this why for some considerable time I have been unable to find any games that match my quite modest search criteria? Every time I look for games I get the message that no games have been found although if I then scroll through all the pages of games awaiting players there are invariably games that I would have expected to have been 'offered'.
SelhurstPark
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1168
All-game rating: 1203

Postby WHSeward » 15 Aug 2019, 00:46

Unlikely. It would find more not fewer games if it was ignoring your search criteria. If you want to try, post (here or to me by PM) what you are searching for and I can try to replicate it.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby super_dipsy » 15 Aug 2019, 06:53

Hi Penelope, I have an idea.

Are you by any chance clicking on Create Game with the middle click button on a mouse?
super_dipsy
Premium Member

All-game rating: 941

Postby Penelope Pitstop » 15 Aug 2019, 11:02

I've cleared my cache completely. It didn't help. I'm using a MacBook and pressing create game by clicking the left mouse...

:-(
Penelope Pitstop
Premium Member

Postby Penelope Pitstop » 15 Aug 2019, 11:06

I've tried this on Chrome and Safari but each time it resets the game variant to standard/classic
Penelope Pitstop
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 15 Aug 2019, 16:26

Hmmm. Someone else complained of this I think.

OK, let's see if we can narrow it down.

1. On the Create game page, does it say your are Premium until xxxxxxx? In other words, the page knows you are Premium I assume? (if it didn't, it would say Go Premium instead)
2. Could you select all the game create options you want and then take a screen shot?
3. Could you then click Create Game and we will see what is created?

In the main code path, there are lots of places where it would tell you a combo doesn't work, but the only place it actually forces the game map choice is if you are non-premium. However, there is some verification stuff done first and I want to check that isn't screwing it up, which is why I would like to see the screen shot just BEFORE you hit Create
super_dipsy
Premium Member

All-game rating: 941

Return to Bugs