Game 159553 - Pre-arranged Alliances

Noticed any suspicious activity? Report it here.

Moderators: Alman, gareth66

Forum rules
Cheaters
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. DO NOT POST BEFORE READING THIS: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54352
2. Any Post made to influence a game is cheating and may cause You to be removed from the game.
3. DO NOT put the names of the players involved in the TITLE of the post. They can be given in the post, if necessary.
If the game is Anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, send a Private Message to the Cheater-hunters group.

Game 159553 - Pre-arranged Alliances

Postby marsman57 » 14 Aug 2019, 05:20

I recently joined 159553. Jurassic Park - Part 2/6 pretty randomly. After joining, I discovered that the creator of the game has been attempting to run a tournament where each game would have some sort of predetermined alliance structure that he expects all players to adhere to. From the best I can tell, it doesn't look like anyone in the current game was in the first game.

I would be somewhat okay with rolling with the punches and playing along since the alliances are structured across countries and not people, but I don't think it is appropriate for the game to be ranked. The primary reason I feel this way is that I am not actually certain that all the players are into the concept, and where am I at if my "static" allies then backstab me in 1901?

Completed game 158044. Jurassic Park 1/6 should probably also be unranked for the same reason.
marsman57

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1109
All-game rating: 1118
Timezone: GMT

Re: Game 159553 - Pre-arranged Alliances

Postby super_dipsy » 14 Aug 2019, 17:08

Yes, it was no doubt an oversight on the part of the creator. I have reminded him to make future games in the tournament Friends games, and made the finished and active games Friends games also.

Just as a reminder to everyone, if you want to play with preset alliances or to play a sequence of games with your own scoring system that influences play, the games should always be Friends. One good reason is that non-Friends games lose their password if there is a surrender, allowing some innocent bystander to join the game without any knowledge of what is going on. Another is that preset alliances and scoring systems can mess up our own rating system.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941

Re: Game 159553 - Pre-arranged Alliances

Postby marsman57 » 14 Aug 2019, 19:39

Yes, I don't know if you read through the entire PP box, but it was determined in the end that the tournament organizer was not even in the game anymore, and only one person from the tournament was still involved in the game. It seems that this game had started, hit an NMR protection restart, and then missed confirmation a couple times dropping further players. Brutal.

I think we are in the end going to play it out as a standard game of Diplomacy, but I think initial negotiations were poisoned by the confusion. So not being ranked is definitely appropriate.
marsman57

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1109
All-game rating: 1118

Return to Cheaters