Divine Wind - Recruiting (3/7 players)

New games taking their initial sign-ups and active games needing replacements / reserves.

Moderator: Morg

Divine Wind - Recruiting (3/7 players)

Postby Caladin » 13 Aug 2019, 10:12

Context:

The year is 327 BC, and atop Mount Olympus, the Gods have grown bored. They send forth the Anemoi, to cause a divine wind that sweeps across all Europe and upsets the balance of power forever. Nations are destroyed, the survivors scattered across the continent with no memory of what came before.

They burn offerings to the Gods that caused this cataclysm, and pledge to conquer this new world in their name.

The Gods are amused by this, and send forth Hermes to relay messages across the vast distances, so as to increase the scale of any conflict and the resulting entertainment.

Players:
3/7
  • Strategus
  • EpicLim
  • marsman57

Rules:
This game is a combination of Escalation, Age of Empires, and Fog of War, intended to test whether the later two can be combined in a workable manner with the first.

Escalation Phase:
  1. All nations select the site of their starting city. At the same time, they are to select the colour and name of their nation.
  2. Should two or more nations select the same site, a bounce will occur, and that site will be unavailable to the players who bounced in it.
  3. Any player who bounced will have the opportunity to select a different city. They may change their colour and name should they wish to do so.
  4. Should any nation, on their second attempt, select a city that is already occupied, or select a city that another nation on their second attempt is selecting, then another bounce will occur.
  5. Any nations who bounced a second time will be randomly assigned an unselected city. They will not be assigned Portugal, Tunis, Smyrna or Liverpool.

Other rules:
  • The game is build anywhere.
  • You can only see inside provinces that are occupied by a unit you control, are bordering a unit you control, or are under your control.
  • Control of Supply Centers flip at the end of Fall; control of non-Supply centers flip when a unit moves into them.
  • CC me in on any communications. (Less a rule, and more of a "please do", so I can see how the game progresses - it makes things more interesting for me)

All other rules are standard.

Map:
The game will be played on the standard diplomacy map. You will not always recieve an updated map. In order to minimize my workload, you will only recieve a map when it contains new information.
  • After every Spring, Fall and Winter you will be PM'ed a personal map.
  • Should you have to retreat you will be PM'ed a map of the situation after the retreat.
  • Should you have vision on a unit that has to retreat, or vision on a unit that has just retreated, you will be PM'ed an updated map after the retreat. Should a retreat result in the change in control of a center previously under your control, you will also be PM'ed an updated map. Should you no longer have vision of the center, this will only show that you no longer control it, and not the unit or the player controlling the unit that has moved in.

Turn Limit:
You will have two days to from the release of each phases result to issue your orders. I will attempt to release results within twenty-four hours of the due time.

The first escalation phase will last three days.

Other Notes:
The game is likely to be hopelessly unbalanced, with some players ending up in a crowded region and others ending up in an isolated one. That's ok; it's your job to try to pick the region you feel will be best, based on your understanding of what the other players will be doing and your expectations of where players may concentrate.

Just have fun, and see what happens; should it go very badly, I may adjust the rules for a second run.

So far, I have limited the the provinces that you can be assigned in the final, random phase of the escalation by removing just four that I consider particularly unsuited to a successful game. Should you believe that there are others that should be added to the list, or believe that there are some on that list that should not be there, please discuss them here while waiting for the game to fill. I am happy to alter that section of the rules while waiting for the game to start.
Last edited by Caladin on 15 Aug 2019, 01:06, edited 4 times in total.
Caladin
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 973
All-game rating: 949
Timezone: GMT+10

Re: Divine Wind - Recruiting (0/7 players)

Postby Strategus » 13 Aug 2019, 11:00

Put me down
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1708
Timezone: GMT

Re: Divine Wind - Recruiting (1/7 players)

Postby EpicDim » 13 Aug 2019, 22:11

Sign me up.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Divine Wind - Recruiting (2/7 players)

Postby Caladin » 14 Aug 2019, 06:24

Added both
Caladin
Premium Member

Re: Divine Wind - Recruiting (2/7 players)

Postby marsman57 » 14 Aug 2019, 19:24

*cue entrance theme*

I'm back.

I'm in.

Let's do this.
marsman57

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1109
All-game rating: 1118
Timezone: GMT

Re: Divine Wind - Recruiting (3/7 players)

Postby EpicDim » 15 Aug 2019, 05:16

I highly recommend setting up a Discord server to run it.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Divine Wind - Recruiting (3/7 players)

Postby Caladin » 15 Aug 2019, 11:17

Probably a good idea, I'll look into it.
Caladin
Premium Member

Return to PbF Game Recruitment