Live games on the home page

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Live games on the home page

Postby Woolgie » 05 Apr 2019, 21:24

It is apparent that the home page can only support one live game at a time, although it does quote how many live games there are open and provide a link to view the full list.
That said it is inevitable that live games which are directly visible on the home page are more likely to garner interest than those which are not.

At present the game which appears on the home page is that which was created first.

Tonight a user has created four live unranked and unsolicited 2 player challenge games in quick succession. This prevents a prospective ranked 7 player game from appearing on the home page and gathering interest.

Can we discuss 1. The number of live games a person is able to create and 2. The algorithm for determining which single live game appears on the home page?

I propose that as a minimum ranked games are given priority. In addition 2 player challenge games are given absolute least precedence since these are likely to be created with both parties in mind and therefore advertisement is unnecessary.
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1083
All-game rating: 984
Timezone: GMT

Re: Live games on the home page

Postby sinnybee » 06 Apr 2019, 07:27

Woolgie wrote:I propose that as a minimum ranked games are given priority. In addition 2 player challenge games are given absolute least precedence since these are likely to be created with both parties in mind and therefore advertisement is unnecessary.

I agree.
I think that it's more important to deprioritize 2PC live games on the home page than it is to prioritize ranked live games on the home page. (Norank 7-player live can be a lot of fun, and it's relatively easy to find a 2PC partner on the chatbox.)
Although, I think it might be even more important to prioritize by how many players have signed up for the game.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby RcihardLion » 06 Apr 2019, 21:38

The first page on live games works perfectly well.

Woolgie should perhaps confirm when he has joined a live game before trying to hinder 2 player games on the live page.

There are 0 open live games!
Full list here. Check out Live news.
FEATURED LIVE GAME:
156241. SATURDAY NIGHT STABBERS
GAME CREATED
Apr 06 2019 20:04 (GMT)

JOINED USERS
brazil2018 - not confirmed
Woolgie - not confirmed
naruhito999 - not confirmed
PenelopePitstop - confirmed
phil.v - confirmed
Civility - confirmed
RcihardLion - confirmed

7 users

SETTINGS
Game type: Standard
Variants: Classic
Map Variant: Standard
Players: 7/7
Stats: ranked
Deadlines:
Orders:every 24 hours
Retreats: every 12 hours
Builds: every 12 hours
Live game for 2 hours
Time left to find players: min.
Time left for players to confirm: 16sec.
RcihardLion

Standard rating: 799
All-game rating: 679

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Apr 2019, 09:19

I don't think it is right to say any one type of game has precedence over any other. However, I do see that something may be needed to try to make it fair for everyone.

I think the best approach may be to make it so that if you already have a Live game active (waiting or playing in its live period), you cannot open another one. This does not prohibit someone trying to get a live game started, someone dropping out, the game failing and then wanting to have another try. But it does mean that you cannot queue live games up, and that you cannot play 2 live games at the same time (note this is only referring to the Live period, not once the game has gone to normal deadlines). This seems quite a sensible restriction because if you are trying to play TWO or more games live simultaneously you are never going to be able to give one game your full attention!

So to summarize,
- If you already have an open Live game, you cannot open another one
- If you are in the Live portion of a live game, you cannot open another one
- Once the live game moves to normal deadlines, it no longer counts as a block

Seem reasonable?
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Apr 2019, 17:12

thinking about it, I think this is a much better way of handling the Live games support. I am going to put this in place at least as a pilot. If people find it too restrictive, we can reconsider.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941

Return to Suggestions