Transylvanian Republic

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

Re: Transylvanian Republic

Postby jonisilk » 16 Apr 2019, 05:38

OOC: Yeah, probably best not to try expanding into other players allies. People tend to not like that :)

Generally, newbies get free reign to flex their muscles a bit, but only really into territory that is white on the map (white being unclaimed land - the problem being that the map isn't always up-to-date, so confusion can arise)
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Subotai45 » 16 Apr 2019, 15:20

Sorry to do this Red considering your slow drift leftward, but I calls it like I sees it, and you haven't been unabashedly Commie enough for me to give you the pass.

@JP, as I see it, you are, mechanically, completely allowed to annex any land you want. Red is also, mechanically, allowed to contest any of these annexations, no matter how unreasonable you might think that is, and take any actions up to and including invading you over it. Generally, white space, like Jonisilk said, gets a pass and you can usually invade that without too much issue, but sometimes, even if it is white, it's inhabited by the NPC allies of a player. One really good example is the Turkestani Communes, which is part of the IWA. It's white space, but if you invade, you're going to provoke a response. Similarly, Musashi has networks of allies in SEA, so if you invade Burma, ruled by a cadet branch of his royal family, you're going to open a can of worms.

So, does Italy fall into this category of "we all know it's an ally of ____, so attacking it is attacking them?" I would argue no. Alliances with NPCs need judge action, IMO: you can't just say "I have an alliance with Turkey" without a judge confirming that Turkey considers the alliance to exist. When it's an ex-player, like Meditia (Italy) is, I do consider, to a certain extent, past statements to be a fair marker of whether an alliance exists. Eg, if MK left the game, and we began to treat West Africa as an NPC, even after it entered "NPC/white space status", the UMC would probably be considered an ally for a long while. Meditia has no documented relationships of this nature with Asteria. The only agreement on record is a moderate trade deal. There's no judged actions confirming that Meditia has an alliance with Asteria. Further, Meditia was around so briefly and so long ago without judge reference that it's a bit questionable if it even exists at all.

I, therefore, don't think that the alliance exists. Red can drop a one-sided guarantee or negotiate with whatever NPCs exist in Italy, but I (IC) think that's slightly overstepping his bounds.

That being said, if he goes more commie, I'd let him step over whatever bounds he wants (IC as the VSFSR, OOC I'm still pretty blunt).
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Subotai45 » 16 Apr 2019, 16:55

Also @JP just to make sure, the Transylvanian Republic includes the following modern-day countries:
- Hungary
- Romania
- Serbia (but not Kosovo or Montenegro)
- Republic of North Macedonia (but not Macedonia in Greece)
- Bulgaria
- Bosnia
- Croatia
Subotai45

Postby jonisilk » 16 Apr 2019, 21:06

Meditia was around so briefly and so long ago without judge reference that it's a bit questionable if it even exists at all.

True, Meditia was here today, gone tomorrow.

While I was involved in some minor tourism there, it was still a very young nation in which I had no political involvement, or any other such agreements/pacts, and we're not keen on involving ourselves in a conflict half-way across the world, so IC the PCG would just take it off our Terran Tourism circuit and wait to see how things unfold (though if things got especially bad - mass genocide/ethnic cleansing, that sort of thing - then we'd probably appeal to the League of Cairo to get involved).
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

jonisilk

Postby jpstreetman » 17 Apr 2019, 02:04

Subotai45 wrote:Also @JP just to make sure, the Transylvanian Republic includes the following modern-day countries:
- Hungary
- Romania
- Serbia (but not Kosovo or Montenegro)
- Republic of North Macedonia (but not Macedonia in Greece)
- Bulgaria
- Bosnia
- Croatia

Along with a puppet government in Greece, I invaded them too.

As to Italy, i'm just exerting a sphere of influence in southern Europe and the med. I believe that it's not unreasonable that a newly in power paranoid Nationalist parliment would try and macho themselves to those around them that they thought they could intimidate.
jpstreetman

Postby jonisilk » 17 Apr 2019, 03:15

Greece was part of the tourism thing as well (Was, but no more by the looks of it)

jonisilk

Postby Subotai45 » 17 Apr 2019, 17:13

Ah, thank you, I figured I had forgot something somewhere.

I mean, in Italy I don't think (OOC) it's unreasonable. Perfectly reasonable OOC. IC, I don't love nationalists expanding but it's also not like I'll do anything about it (due to OOC not wanting to stop an NP)
Subotai45

Postby RedSun » 19 Apr 2019, 07:07

I mean I have a pacifist Government right now. So unlikely to do anything until my next election cycle but economic ties to the region would make us frown on any military aggression done in the region. Not saying it’s unreasonable for you to expand there I’m just saying that the Asterian Government would frown upon that behavior.
Groups:
Asteria Republic in CYOC
Silver Classicist
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Previous

Return to Create Your Own Country