Anonymous Players means what it says!

Noticed any suspicious activity? Report it here.

Moderators: Alman, gareth66

Forum rules
Cheaters
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. DO NOT POST BEFORE READING THIS: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54352
2. Any Post made to influence a game is cheating and may cause You to be removed from the game.
3. DO NOT put the names of the players involved in the TITLE of the post. They can be given in the post, if necessary.
If the game is Anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, send a Private Message to the Cheater-hunters group.

Anonymous Players means what it says!

Postby super_dipsy » 21 Dec 2018, 08:59

Earlier in the year we warned all players that Anonymous Players games are games where players must not know who else has joined. But some players continue to cheat by working together with friends in Anon Players games. So sadly we are going to have to get tougher.

Festages and NohaPontes have been suspended for creating and playing in two Anonymous Players games (as well as one other) with the express intent of working together to give them an advantage. They have refused to respond to either PMs or emails, and so are now suspended from the site. If they commit to following the rules, they may be allowed back, but for the moment they are gone.

Affected active games (sorry to all the players)

Hopefully you will get replacements quickly.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymous Players means what it says!

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 31 Dec 2018, 16:36

Out of interest, is it acceptable to reveal the names of (other) anonymous players in the PP?
Use me, don't abuse me.
If I have PMs, don't open them unless you expect to see them!
Dolph Shtoss

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby super_dipsy » 31 Dec 2018, 16:55

Dolph Shtoss wrote:Out of interest, is it acceptable to reveal the names of (other) anonymous players in the PP?

Players can say what they like - the key point being, noone can be absolutely certain they are telling the truth. So in a sense your question does not really make sense - since the player does not know who the other players are, all they could post in the PP is who they THINK is playing another country.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 31 Dec 2018, 17:16

Yes, although the identity of people you have met in previous game(s) is sometimes obvious. There are, shall we say, some distinctive personalities in this game.
Use me, don't abuse me.
If I have PMs, don't open them unless you expect to see them!
Dolph Shtoss

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby super_dipsy » 31 Dec 2018, 19:48

You miss the point. If you post that you recognize that Italy is Conq because you have played him before and you recognize his style, other players do not know if you are telling the truth or not. In Diplomacy it is sometimes permissible to lie :shock:. But if you knew Conq was in the game and you posted it, then you have already broken the rules because you know he is playing the game. Similarly, if you get messages from a country and you swear it is Conq, that does not mean you are right :) . I remember one player in the PDET making a huge fuss that he recognized a sub as a well known F2F Diplomacy player, but it wasn't...
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby Jack007 » 01 Jan 2019, 10:36

Yeah. In a recent game I could have sworn that one of the players was Groo, an I was absolutely sure about this, as I thought to have a prove, because he sometimes wrote UND instead of AND, so I concluded he was using a German spell checker, but no, it was Phleg, as it turned out at the end. :shock:
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1249
All-game rating: 1558
Timezone: GMT+1

Return to Cheaters