Pandemic Diplomacy: Exploration Variant Seeking Players

5-player Exploration variant created and GM'd by Aeschines

Moderator: Morg

Pandemic Diplomacy: Exploration Variant Seeking Players

Postby Aeschines » 06 Dec 2018, 00:02

Hello one & all! With my two forum games coming a close, the time has come to start recruiting for Pandemic Diplomacy!

Pandemic Diplomacy is an exploration variant. I will be running the game through Discord and will have five spots available for players. Additionally, thanks to the magic of Discord, non-players are welcome to join me in the International Space Station to watch the game unfold from above (however, anyone who gets access to the ISS will not be allowed to replace a player nor share any secret information with the players). Finally, I will be looking for one person to act as a Second Eyes GM, to make sure I don't make any errors in my adjudications (since much of that work will not be player-verifiable).

Exploration variants are diplomacy games where players will have to explore the map and provinces are only revealed once adjacent to the player's units. Each player gets their own map that only they can see. Additionally, there are will be rules that are only revealed to players after certain spaces have been discovered (spaces marked with "?" indicate something to discover).

The year is 2022. A new pandemic has smashed through the Continent of Europe. Much of the western world has succumbed to the vagaries of the plague but no region has been more devastated than Eurasia. With a survival rate of less than 0.1%, the nations of Europe have collapsed leaving nothing but plague-ridden wasteland and hordes of the "surviving" infected to roam the once-fertile landscape. However, despite the horrors five groups stand ready to seize the opportunity. As the rest of the world is distracted by internal squabbling and chaos, the Republic of Tunisia, the Berbers of the Atlas Mountains, a flotilla of Liberian Freedom-Seekers, the State of Israel, and the Roma people of Turkey are prepared to brave the dangerous of the new hostile landscape. Finding a cure to the disease will be essential. But can they work together long enough to achieve that dream? Or will the politics of resources doom them as it doomed the nations of Europe?

Publicly Available Rules for Pandemic Diplomacy (rules will be updated as more things become revealed)
Victory-
    Solo victory is achieved by having ½ the SCs on the board, rounded down (starts at 20 SCs) OR
    By being the first player to cure the pandemic. Simultaneous cures earn those players a draw
    Draw proposals and votes are not allowed
    If achieving a cure/conquering half the SCs becomes impossible for all players, all players will lose

Research-
    Units who begin their turn in a Research Center SC may be ordered to take the research action
    If successful, the cure is researched and that player wins a solo victory
    If a failure, that unit turns into a plague unit and the game continues
    A “research” action (done instead of a move during a spring or fall turn) will be successful if all players collectively have earned at least [...] Science points (earned through discoveries)
    The player who does the research does not have to be the player(s) who earned the Science Points, on a successful cure action the researching player wins a solo

Science-
    Collecting more science unlocks additional features for that player

Units-
    Army : as in vanilla
    Navy : as in vanilla, except costs 2 SCs to build and maintain (a power with a destroy may remove a 2SC fleet and replace it with a 1SC army in the same winter phase)
    Plague Unit : not controlled by players, movement determined by orders of adjacent units

Plague Units-
    Cannot be destroyed, moves as an army
    Any unit that dislodges or would be dislodged by a plague unit is instead converted into a plague unit at the resolution of that turn
    Any unit that bounces with or bounces out a plague unit is converted into a plague unit at the resolution of that turn
    A fleet unit that convoys a plague unit is destroyed at the resolution of that turn
    Plague units do not capture SCs but return them to “unowned” status by ending a fall turn there
Plague Unit movement preference is as follows:

GM House Rules:
1.0: Deadlines will be run with 3 days (roughly 72 hours) for spring/fall and 1 day for retreat/builds (roughly 24 hours).
    1.1: All deadlines will be at 9:00pm New York Time, unless otherwise stated
    1.2: I will endeavor to send out a 24hr warning to all players during movement phases - but this is not a guarantee, do not rely on this warning
    1.3: I will use speed deadlines as much as possible
    1.3.1: Unless marked PRELIMINARY in the subject line or at the top of the message, all orders will assumed to be finalized
    1.3.2: If I have received a full set of non-preliminary (i.e. finalized) orders I will process them before the deadline

2.0: Orders must be submitted to me by PM or by Discord post. If submitted by PM their subject lines must include "Pandemic: [YEAR/SEASON] [Power]" in some reasonable order. I will accept orders until I begin processing the turn
    2.1: All order sets must be complete - I will only look at the last orders message you send to determine all of your orders for that turn; on order set that merely says "change ABC - XYZ to ABC S DEF - XYZ" will result in all units, other than ABC holding
    2.2: I will accept any order syntax/spelling as long as it is unambiguous (I will include context in this analysis, i.e. Irish Sea M LIV, would be allowed). However, I greatly prefer that you write out the full name of each province (especially when province names do not have assigned shorthand).
    2.3: Ambiguity will result in a HOLD order being given to the unit(s) (including, for example, giving one unit two orders in the same set)
    2.4: If I cannot find your order(s) because they have an incorrect subject line you may NMR, though it will not count against your total for the purposes of 3.0

3.0: NMRs; two NMRS will result in the player being replaced
      3.1: NMRs for builds/retreats will be considered NMRs for purposes of 3.0
      3.2: A first-turn NMR will result in the player being replaced
      3.3: If a player leaves the game for any reason, I will pause the game and attempt to find a replacement
      3.4: I will give extensions, on request to avoid NMRs
      3.5: In the event of an NMR I will give an automatic 24 hour extension, however, this NMR will still count against the player for the purposes of 3.0

Irrelevant in this variant. 4.0: Draws can be proposed at any time. They must be proposed via group message and in the thread and voted on publicly in the thread
      4.1: Draws need not include all survivors
      4.2: Draws must have the assent of all players with SCs on the board to be approved
      4.3: Any veto instantly cancels a proposed draw
      4.4: Draws expire after I have processed two spring/fall turns after they've been proposed

5.0: Errors in Adjudication must be identified before the subsequent turn is processed
      5.1: Errors identified in time will be corrected when identified and an extension will be given such that each player gets a full turns worth of time with an accurate map
      5.2: Any error that goes unidentified after the subsequent turn is processed will stand

6.0: Other messages should have a subject other than that used for orders in 2.0

7.0: GM's Decisions are final
      7.1: To arrive at decisions in unclear situations I will confer with other playdip GMs

Interested Players
BoldBlad
Groo
NoPunin10did
Condude1
varkenskop
Gooderian

Interested Observers
Don Juan of Austria
DrillBit
Gooderian
Last edited by Aeschines on 02 Jan 2019, 22:41, edited 11 times in total.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1454
All-game rating: 1687
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Pandemic Diplomacy: Exploration Variant Seeking Players

Postby Groo » 06 Dec 2018, 01:09

Interested!

Sounds absolutely crazy.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo

Standard rating: 1575
All-game rating: 1659
Timezone: GMT

Postby GhostEcho » 06 Dec 2018, 04:19

I am interested in the astronomical opportunities.

EDIT: To be clear ("International Space Station"), I'm interested in observing only, unless there's a real deficit of interested players which doesn't look like the case.
Last edited by GhostEcho on 07 Dec 2018, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1008
All-game rating: 969

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 06 Dec 2018, 04:20

I would love to give this a shot. Your exploration games tend to be pretty great.
NoPunIn10Did
Moderator (Forums only)

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1416
Timezone: GMT

Postby condude1 » 06 Dec 2018, 05:10

I really, really want to. When would this run?
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Aeschines » 06 Dec 2018, 05:40

I'm planning to run it after either Diplomacy of Ice & Fire III or Greek City States IV finishes! If that's in the next little bit maaaaybe we'd start before Christmas. But if they run a little longer, I won't start it until after the holiday probably (unless the players were down for that).

Hooray!
Aeschines
Premium Member

Postby condude1 » 06 Dec 2018, 05:47

Aeschines wrote:I'm planning to run it after either Diplomacy of Ice & Fire III or Greek City States IV finishes! If that's in the next little bit maaaaybe we'd start before Christmas. But if they run a little longer, I won't start it until after the holiday probably (unless the players were down for that).

Hooray!

This works well for me! After the holidays is better for me because I'm doing stuff with family during the holidays.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

condude1

Postby Aeschines » 06 Dec 2018, 05:47

Awesome! I'll put you down, then!
Aeschines
Premium Member

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 06 Dec 2018, 06:39

You guys are in for a treat!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389

Postby condude1 » 06 Dec 2018, 07:24

Just to confirm, plaguechanged units are easily identified, right?

condude1

Next

Return to Pandemic Diplomacy