No Weekend processing

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42845

No Weekend processing

Postby OldBaldGuy » 13 Sep 2018, 03:45

I'm in a protected game with 2 day moves but no processing on weekends. It is taking forever.

If all players finalize orders, would the game move forward over the weekend?
OldBaldGuy
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1317
All-game rating: 1319
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: No Weekend processing

Postby condude1 » 13 Sep 2018, 04:56

Yup! If everyone finalizes, the game progresses, but the next deadline still will avoid weekends:

Phase ends Thursday, deadline goes to Monday.
Everyone finalizes Friday morning.
The deadline for the next phase is still some time Monday, since two days from then is Sunday.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby OldBaldGuy » 13 Sep 2018, 05:54

But if everyone finalizes orders on Saturday, you are saying the game will not progress until Monday?
OldBaldGuy
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 13 Sep 2018, 07:31

OldBaldGuy wrote:But if everyone finalizes orders on Saturday, you are saying the game will not progress until Monday?

It WILL process, as condude said.

Perhaps it will help if I lay out how it works. When a turn processes, the new deadline is calculated (based on the game setup timings). The game is now checked for any exceptions. This could be no processing at weekends or on a specific day, or an agreed Pause set up through the in-game Pause mechanism. If an exception exists and the new deadline falls in it, the deadline is moved out of the 'exception' zone.

However, players in a game can finalize (provided it is not a fixed deadlines game). As you know, if all active players finalize, the game will process the turn immediately. There is NO CHECK at this stage for exceptions; the game will process whatever. But again, as condude said, when the next new deadline is calculated, the same check as above happens and if it lies in an exception it is THEN moved.

Make sense? They are two different processes. One happens at the end of a turn's processing (the check for the exception and subsequent move of time) and the other happens when the last player finalizes (triggering the end of turn processing).
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Postby super_dipsy » 13 Sep 2018, 07:33

I should have added, if all players agree, a Mod can always turn off the game exception for you if everyone is fed up with it. So for example a Mod could turn off 'no processing at weekends' and then everything would run normally at weekends.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Postby OldBaldGuy » 13 Sep 2018, 16:04

Thank you for your help. That clears it up
OldBaldGuy
Premium Member

Postby OldBaldGuy » 13 Sep 2018, 16:50

One last question -

If I have no orders(retreats or builds), do I need to Finalize Orders for the game to advance? Or does the game treat someone with no orders as finalized?
OldBaldGuy
Premium Member

Return to Rules Questions