Openings

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Openings

Postby Aurelia1 » 02 Sep 2018, 02:24

So many of the articles I read out there are about openings. In AARs I read, every power's 01 moves have some sort of name, memorized. How do you remember each opening? Maginot is easy enough to remember, but a Key Lepanto doesn't exactly fit on a Quizlet flashcard. (Side note: I searched on Quizlet and the only Dip-related thing I found was a set on the rules, sadly.) How do you guys memorize the openings?
Member of the Students.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” -Albus Dumbledore
“There’s a million things I haven’t done. Just you wait, just you wait.”-Hamilton
Aurelia1
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 971
All-game rating: 947
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Openings

Postby asudevil » 02 Sep 2018, 02:47

100 games...and google. And while there may be a TON of opening names...very few are actually referred to as that. KeyLepanto and Maginot are 2...SeaLion is a big one.
But like there are a ton of Austrian ones about hedgehog...southern hedgehog etc. But I dont need to know the name...and would never need to define it.

So play...google...and eventually you kinda start learning.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1383
All-game rating: 1543
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Pootleflump » 02 Sep 2018, 02:59

Some people read every word of an instruction manual before assembling Ikea furniture. Others just launch in, trust their gut and hope it all works out.

I trust my gut most of the time and hope it all works out.

You find out afterwards that things you did (because they made some kind of sense) had names. Not that I ever remember them. :D
But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1861
All-game rating: 1909
Timezone: GMT

Postby V » 02 Sep 2018, 10:15

It can be amusing to read what folks suggest as openings & why, but remember that’s pretty much all it is, amusing.

Diplomacy is about people & communication with those other 6 folks around the table. The moves should become apparent following from the diplomacy & resultant objectives decided upon (not some preset formula with a theoretical outcome).

A player I greatly respect said “Diplomacy is played in the heads of the participants, the board is merely the scorecard”.
I borrow that kind of stuff, cos soon enough it makes great sense.

Good luck & enjoy the Diplomacy.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1664
All-game rating: 1689
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby David E. Cohen » 02 Sep 2018, 14:03

The tactics of Diplomacy, which include openings, have a significant place in the game, but overall they are less determinative of victory than strategy, or the most important part of the game, which is communications/negotiation (small 'd' diplomacy). Diplomatic considerations often mean that the "best" order set from a tactical point of view would be a bad choice.

You see a ton of stuff about openings (and stalemate lines) out there because they are easy to discuss in concrete terms and it is easy to improve tactically. Always bear in mind that the best tacticians in the game lose regularly to average players. This is part of what makes Diplomacy the best board game in the world.
My Dip site: http://diplomiscellany.tripod.com/

The warrior's Way is the twofold Way of pen and sword.

Weep not, Alexander. There will always be another world to conquer.
David E. Cohen

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby jay65536 » 03 Sep 2018, 05:02

I don't make it a point to memorize the names of the openings. I just figure out what I want to do diplomatically and then figure out where my pieces should go.

I remember a few, but just from hearing them so many times.

It has happened before that someone gives an opening I play a name, and the connotation of the name is different from how and why I play the opening. So don't put too much stock in it.

As far as AARs go, I find the ones that focus on the opening to be boring. The opening is just to get you to the midgame, which is usually where the real game begins (if you make it that far).
jay65536

Standard rating: (1124)
All-game rating: (1130)

Postby voidoid » 12 Sep 2018, 09:25

One of the bits of the old DipPouch site that is not Tango Uniform is the openings library. No need to memorize them when you can look through the listings 'til you find something that fits your situation.

http://uk.diplom.org/pouch/Online/Openi ... ctive.html
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
--Oscar Wilde
voidoid

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1000
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 13 Sep 2018, 16:02

David E. Cohen wrote:The tactics of Diplomacy, which include openings, have a significant place in the game, but overall they are less determinative of victory than strategy, or the most important part of the game, which is communications/negotiation (small 'd' diplomacy). Diplomatic considerations often mean that the "best" order set from a tactical point of view would be a bad choice.

You see a ton of stuff about openings (and stalemate lines) out there because they are easy to discuss in concrete terms and it is easy to improve tactically. Always bear in mind that the best tacticians in the game lose regularly to average players. This is part of what makes Diplomacy the best board game in the world.

I would agree in part with David. Some rules of thumb for the standard map:

1. Tactics in the first two turns are largely moot because standard openings are so well-known and analyzed.
    • That doesn't mean that your opening doesn't matter.
    • It does mean that 90% of the time you should pick something boring-but-proven and instead focus your efforts on talking to your fellow players.
  2. As you approach the midgame, unit positioning and tactics matter more.
    • Spend time learning about stalemate lines.
    • If you want the solo, you need to make sure your units are already pushing past the line.
    • If you want to stop someone else's solo, you need to make sure your units are on the line (and that you tread carefully with other opponents holding that same line).
NoPunIn10Did
Organizer for the Classicist C-Diplo Series

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1358

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 13 Sep 2018, 17:49

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about opening names--there's a couple that'll stick with you, like Lepanto and SeaLion...but even those, there's different variations of them and whatnot, so the names aren't really necessary to remember. Most of the time, you're better off just figuring out what moves you want to make, and going from there. If someone knows a name for it, great, but the moves themselves are what's important, not if it's called the "Eastern facing southern hedgehog with a Julie Andrews twist" or whatever.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407

Postby Iggy » 14 Sep 2018, 14:37

I've played this game on and off for quite a while. At one point I was a huge junky and read a ridiculous number of articles while painfully waiting on turns to progress. All that in my past, and other than a few rare exceptions, I still have to google almost every time someone references a "named" set of moves to make sure I know what they are talking about.

And that's from a guy that can usually remember stuff pretty easy - for example, I can name you ever starting QB in the NFL after prepping for fantasy football drafts over the last couple months.
Iggy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1180
All-game rating: 1262

Return to Strategy