stalemate

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42845

stalemate

Postby Oh Cheese » 26 Jun 2018, 12:18

if a game is stalemated - i.e. nobody is gaining any more SCs, alliances are holding firm, etc. - can a game be forced to draw by a mod?
Oh Cheese

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1183
All-game rating: 1193
Timezone: GMT+6

Re: stalemate

Postby Josey Wales » 26 Jun 2018, 12:35

Technically a MOD (i.e. Super_Dipsy) can do anything including force a draw but in practice probably wouldn't. If a game is truly in a stalemate position, then one of the parties may be hoping for an NMR which will break the stalemate - a cheesy way to play but still a valid strategy. I was in a game many, many moons ago where a player on the other side of the stalemate line said exactly that "you [me] will eventually NMR and we will win".

Or perhaps after 15 rounds of butting heads one of the minor powers (assuming 2 smaller ones are holding back a larger 3rd) may be persuaded to stab the other and off to the solo the larger one goes - another valid strategy.

Generally, respectable players would realize a true stalemate has occurred and then concede a draw.
If you are gonna fight, then fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark … and brother, it just started to rain

Aspiring Classicist, Aspiring SPAM ABASSADOR
Josey Wales
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1155
All-game rating: 1139
Timezone: GMT

Postby asudevil » 26 Jun 2018, 13:53

Yes, any mod can force a draw.

viewtopic.php?f=659&t=48796#p817373

Those are the rules to have it happen.

If you have met the requirements then let a mod know and we can take care of it for you.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1383
All-game rating: 1543
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 26 Jun 2018, 13:56

There are deadlocked game procedures in place. I believe the requirements are minimum three years without an SC changing hands across alliances and no shift in alliances, as well as two DIAS draw proposals in those three years. If the game fits that criteria, PM the Mods group with the details.

Here's a link to the deadlock procedure: viewtopic.php?f=659&t=48796#p817373

And the most relevant bit:
1. The game must be a Ranked or No Rank game and must not be a short-handed game.
2. The game must have been deadlocked for at least 3 game years. To qualify, within the last 3 years:
- there has been no change in alliance structure;
- there has been no change in SC ownership across opposing factions;
- at least 2 draw proposals including all surviving players, whether the game is set-up as a DIAS game or not, have been unsuccessful, and
- there is evidence that negotiations to end the game have been seriously tried and failed (NOT APPLICABLE IN GUNBOAT GAMES).
3. There are no live draw proposals in place.

Edit: Beaten to the punch!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Josey Wales » 26 Jun 2018, 14:04

nanooktheeskimo wrote:There are deadlocked game procedures in place.

Well, well, learn something new every day.
If you are gonna fight, then fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark … and brother, it just started to rain

Aspiring Classicist, Aspiring SPAM ABASSADOR
Josey Wales
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1155
All-game rating: 1139
Timezone: GMT

Return to Rules Questions