4v4v2

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42845

4v4v2

Postby Mr Aedron » 22 Jun 2018, 16:44

Hello,

I have a question regarding rules. I am playing a versailles (anonymous) game & I just got a destroy I cannot understand.

I will do my best to describe the situation: my unit was attacking another center (Austria), supported 3 times. So 4 armies piling up. Now, that center was supported 3 times. So 4v4, I did not take it. But that very center supported another 5th unit against my attacking unit.

Here it is, clearer:
Order set player 1: Hungary to Austria, supported 3 times
Order set player 2: 3 units support Austria to hold
Order set player 2: Austria supports Croatia to Hungary

I was understanding that a unit doing a 4-army move could be destroyed only by a 5+ armies move. I thus struggle to understand by Hungary was destroyed.

Am I missing something?

Cheers
Mr Aedron
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1376
All-game rating: 1717
Timezone: GMT

Re: 4v4v2

Postby boldblade » 22 Jun 2018, 17:03

Mr Aedron wrote:
I was understanding that a unit doing a 4-army move could be destroyed only by a 5+ armies move. I thus struggle to understand by Hungary was destroyed.

This assumption is only true if the moves are going against each other meaning Austria is attacking Hungary and Hungary is attacking Austria. If Hungary is bounced a supported attack from somewhere else would still succeed.
boldblade
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1474
All-game rating: 1488

Postby boldblade » 22 Jun 2018, 17:05

Oh an further since you cannot cut support from the center that is being attacked I guess the Austrian support would be successful if they defended your attack.
boldblade
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1474
All-game rating: 1488

Postby NJLonghorn » 22 Jun 2018, 17:07

A 4-unit move can only be beaten head-on by a 5-unit move. But the moving unit is not supported to hold, so it can be defeated by a supported attack from the side.
Last edited by NJLonghorn on 22 Jun 2018, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1187
All-game rating: 1285
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby NJLonghorn » 22 Jun 2018, 17:13

Your situation is covered on page 11 of the Rulebook, under the heading "Dislodgement in Standoffs", illustrated in diagram #12.
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Postby NJLonghorn » 22 Jun 2018, 17:25

boldblade wrote: ... you cannot cut support from the center that is being attacked ...

That is almost accurate. To cut support from the center that is being attacked, you have to dislodge the supporting unit. Because Hungary didn't dislodge the army in Austria, Austria was still able to support an attack on Hungary. That's diagram 17 (compared with diagram 16) on page 12 of the Rulebook.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Postby boldblade » 22 Jun 2018, 17:33

Ok yes.
boldblade
Premium Member