Rule Question

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42845

Rule Question

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 27 May 2018, 20:23

Since this matter relates to an ongoing anonymous game, I've decided to use this account to ask the question, and I've also changed the provinces involved (while keeping the spirit of the events).

Imagine that two powers enter the following orders:

Power A:
- Trieste to Budapest
- Vienna SUPPORTS Trieste to Budapest
(No other moves are done into Trieste.)

Power B:
- Serbia to Trieste
- Budapest SUPPORTS Serbia to Trieste
- Rumania SUPPORTS Budapest to HOLD

Power A, as a result, is unable to dislodge Budapest due to Rumania's support. For that reason, Budapest (which is supporting an attack on Trieste, the origin of the attack) does not have its support cut [Rule 13 - Support is cut if the unit giving support is attacked from any province, except the one where support is being given]. Consequentially, Serbia to Trieste is a two-power attack.

As a consequence, why isn't Trieste taken in the process? We cannot state that Trieste is also the place of a standoff, as Rule 3 states that equal strength units trying to occupy the same province cause all those units to remain in their original province. As far as I see, Vienna's support was given with the intent to take Budapest. As soon as this fails, this support does not apply anymore (and Trieste should be taken).

Am I missing something?
Use me, don't abuse me.
If I have PMs, don't open them unless you expect to see them!
Dolph Shtoss

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Rule Question

Postby Woolgie » 27 May 2018, 20:31

My opinion on reading this was no, you're not missing anything - Serbia gets Trieste as the support from Budapest is not cut.

The orders solver backs this up:

ITALY
Trieste MOVE Budapest -> Dislodged by 'a ser - tri'
Vienna SUPPORT Trieste to Budapest -> Supported unit has failed

AUSTRIA
Serbia MOVE Trieste -> resolved
Budapest SUPPORT Serbia to Trieste -> resolved
Rumania SUPPORT Budapest to HOLD -> resolved

Edit: Could Budapest have been hit, say from Galicia?
Dr. Nefario of the Despicables in TTT
Heptarchy XV GM - my first GMing
Trying to get my Star Wars variant off the ground
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1111
All-game rating: 1049

Re: Rule Question

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 27 May 2018, 20:34

Nevermind. I missed one element, the query is solved.

I thought that in the target event, the square affected was attacked by a 1-unit move from "Power A", but it was actually affected by a 2-unit move. Thus, the beleaguered garrison event applied, protecting the area.

Please close.
Use me, don't abuse me.
If I have PMs, don't open them unless you expect to see them!
Dolph Shtoss

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Return to Rules Questions