Supporting an empty region to hold?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42845

Supporting an empty region to hold?

Postby NeroTheGreat » 21 May 2018, 15:28

In my game, Rumania is empty but under my control. Can I support a hold there from Galicia without moving there?
NeroTheGreat

Re: Supporting an empty region to hold?

Postby ccloughley » 21 May 2018, 15:39

No.

;)
A deal is a deal is a deal until a better deal comes along...

Smile. Smile. Smile. Kill. Smile.
ccloughley

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1030
All-game rating: 1051
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Damon Huntington » 21 May 2018, 18:29

NeroTheGreat wrote:In my game, Rumania is empty but under my control. Can I support a hold there from Galicia without moving there?

As stated previously, no. What you can do, however, is to cause a self-standoff.

Assume you have an unit in Galicia, and another in Sevastopol. You can input the following orders, if so you wish:

- Galicia to Rumania
- Sevastopol to Rumania

That involves a 1 vs. 1, which causes a standoff. Neither unit advances, but the region is protected against a 1-strength attack (which also bounces against the other attacks). This is a way to ensure that you defend your territories without running the risk to advance unnecessarily.
Damon Huntington

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1364
All-game rating: 1373
Timezone: GMT-3

Postby NJLonghorn » 21 May 2018, 18:46

Damon Huntington wrote:Assume you have an unit in Galicia, and another in Sevastopol. You can input the following orders, if so you wish:

- Galicia to Rumania
- Sevastopol to Rumania

That involves a 1 vs. 1, which causes a standoff. Neither unit advances, but the region is protected against a 1-strength attack (which also bounces against the other attacks). This is a way to ensure that you defend your territories without running the risk to advance unnecessarily.

Yes, but be careful of the "unwanted support" trick. In the above scenario, suppose Turkey has an army in Bulgaria and a fleet in the Black Sea. The army in Bulgaria can support your move from Sevastopol to Rumania, making that 2 vs. 1 and Sevastopol moves to Rumaina. That leaves Sevastopol open for the Black Sea fleet to waltz in.
Classicists, Silver Gold Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1200
All-game rating: 1359
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Rules Questions