Finalize Orders

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42845

Finalize Orders

Postby FreeOrDie » 10 May 2018, 19:26

I searched the forums and couldn't find the answer to full answer to this question, but I apologize in advance if I missed it.

As I understand it, I need to hit "finalize orders" prior to the end of the turn. However, can I change my orders once I finalize them? Essentially, I'm concerned I might forget to hit finalize prior to the end of the season and am pretty confident in my current orders, but I also don't want to lock in my orders without being able to change them if some last minute communications demand I change them.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
FreeOrDie
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 969
All-game rating: 969
Timezone: GMT

Re: Finalize Orders

Postby Damon Huntington » 10 May 2018, 19:28

Yes, you can change orders after you finalise them.

Do note that if you change orders after a finalisation, you'll need to finalise them again. Changing any order given cancels the "Finalise Order" command given in the past.
Damon Huntington

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1364
All-game rating: 1373
Timezone: GMT-3

Postby mhsmith0 » 10 May 2018, 19:32

You also don't have to hit finalize ever. If the turn expires and you haen't finalized, it'll process the orders you put in anyway. Finalize just allows players (if all agree) to process the orders before the original deadline.
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1269
All-game rating: 1439
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby FreeOrDie » 10 May 2018, 19:57

Thank you both!
FreeOrDie
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 969
All-game rating: 969
Timezone: GMT

Postby TTBen » 10 May 2018, 20:48

Because I don’t like the hold the whole game up unless I know I’m waiting for an answer I’ll often put in my expected order, hit finalize and see if the clock goes to zero, if so I was the last player to submit, if not I may change an order (even resubmit same order) so that it cancels the finalize and I can see if any more communications come.

Just another possibility for you.
TTBen
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1151
All-game rating: 1743
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby The SHIV » 11 May 2018, 00:07

Yep, put your orders in, finalize, and go to bed.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, SHIV of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1143
All-game rating: 1175
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 11 May 2018, 05:13

Finalizing is ALWAYS an option. If you input orders and don’t finalize, those orders will be processed just fine. If you finalize then go back later and decide to change an order, you’re free to do so.

Finalizing is purely an option in case everyone on a board is content to move to the next turn, and you should at no point feel pressured to finalize your orders if you feel you need more time.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Rules Questions