1812 Overture: Game Start And House Rules

A multi-continent game in which each player plays two countries in their attempt to win on a map centered on Europe and the North Atlantic set in 1812. Created by Nopunin10did, GMed by NanookTheEskimo

Moderator: Morg

1812 Overture: Game Start And House Rules

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 13 Apr 2018, 02:34

And we are off! Spring 1811 Orders are due by April 17, 3pm EDT/9pm CEST.

Aeschines: USA
GPD: French Empire
JegPeg: Cherokee and Austria
LBS: New Spain and Denmark-Norway
NoPunIn10Did: Shawnee and Russia
Wobbly: British Empire

Bids.GIF
Bids.GIF (25.98 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

First round: Aeschines/USA, Wobbly/British Empire, GPD/French Empire
Second Round: LBS/New Spain (Coin Flip), JegPeg (Cherokee), NoPunIn10Did (Shawnee)
Third Round: LBS/Denmark-Norway, NoPunIn10Did/Russia, JegPeg/Austria

Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 1812 Overture: Game Start And Power Allocation

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 13 Apr 2018, 02:42

1812 Overture House Rules

Orders
Title all orders clearly. Orders should be labeled as such: "1812 Overture --Country--Orders/Retreats/Builds Spring 01." If it's not exact that's ok, as long as the game name and correct phase are included. All orders should be sent in an individual PM--do not hit reply and think I will know what it is. Any orders that are mislabeled and I don't see are your responsibility, and any NMR resulting from it will stand. I will make every effort to find orders before adjudicating, but it is up to you to make sure they are properly labeled.

I will not be reading orders to check for accuracy, it is entirely up to you to make sure they're accurate. I'll accept any orders that are clear in meaning (i.e., not specifying a coast when only one is possible), but if it's at all unambiguous it will be counted as invalid and processed as a hold (i.e., entering a convoy order for a fleet but not ordering the army to move, or entering Nor as an abbreviation, will result in an invalid order). Any reasonable abbreviation is fine as long as it's clear and unambiguous.

If you find a mistake in my adjudication, please report is as soon as you see it. If it isn't reported before the next movement phase, it is final and will not be corrected.

If two or more orders for the same unit are entered, then I'll use the last one and ignore the others, except when too many build orders are entered, in which case the correct number from the beginning of the list will be accepted.

Other Messages
Please title any messages not containing orders something different, so I know which is which--otherwise I'll probably assume they're orders and not read them before the deadline! If you ask a rules question then if it's clear I'll answer it; if it's something not clearly covered by the game rules I'll do my best, but in the light of argument from other players I might change my mind after the adjudication. If you think I'm wrong, I expect you to say so loudly and with clear reasons; if you do, I'll listen and consider the arguments (and allow an extension whilst it's sorted out). If a question is asked privately then it will be answered privately.

Deadlines
Deadlines will be 4/1/1 from the time the new map is posted. I will send a PM at the same time I post the new phase, so there's no excuse for not noticing the phase has changed! If you subscribe to the sub-forum of the game, then you'll also receive emails whenever a new topic is posted. I also highly recommend sending in provisional orders as well, just in case.

For any phases longer than 24 hours, I'll usually give an approximately 24 hour warning to every player without orders entered. If at any time I fail to send an individual reminder without realizing it and post the phase with an NMR, it will stand. It is your responsibility to get orders in before the deadline. Reminders are not guaranteed.

Speed deadlines: unless orders are marked as provisional, I will process orders as soon as I've received orders from everyone. I encourage players to send in provisional orders, and you're welcome to update and change your orders as often as you like before the deadline. You may update provisional orders to finalized if you wish. There is no pressure at any time to finalize orders however, it's an option not a requirement.

Requests for delays: Reasonable requests for delays will be accepted. Last minute requests on a 4 day deadline because you don't have access will not be accepted, considering you've had the whole deadline to send in provisionals at the very least. Please give as much notice as possible if you need a delay--sometimes life happens, but if you know 6 months ahead that you're going on a 10 day vacation with no internet access and it falls during the game, don't wait until the day before you leave to ask for a pause!

If you need a substitute, it is your responsibility to find one.

Win Condition
18 SC total with 12 SC on one continent is a solo. Two powers reaching the solo requirements simultaneously results in a double win—not a solo but not a draw.

All draws must be voted through unanimously by all remaining players on the board, but they do not have to include all survivors. A draw can be proposed at any time, and will be canceled as soon as one veto is recorded or until a turn is processed, whichever is sooner. Draw votes can be submitted via PM or as a comment on the draw proposal post. Please note that votes left on the map post will not be counted. Players are limited to one draw proposal per turn.

NMRs
I usually aim to process the orders as close to the deadline as possible, though occasionally I'll make exceptions. If you get orders in a few minutes after the deadline I'll let it pass, but as soon as I start opening and adjudicating orders, it's too late. I may give extensions or grace periods at my discretion and dependent on my own schedule, but do not rely on them.

Two NMRs and you're out. Consecutive NMRs and you're out. NMR the first phase, and you're out. NMRs will be counted for order phases, and half to a full NMR for missed retreats and builds at my discretion. If an NMR leads to expulsion then there will be a pause while I try to replace them, and the new player gets a day minimum to talk and post orders. I reserve the right to place a country in Civil Disorder instead of finding a replacement. I reserve the right to eject a player before meeting all the NMR criteria, should their responsivity (or lack thereof) to my messages warrant it.

Errors in adjudication
I'm only human, so there's the possibility of mistakes. Please check the map after orders to be sure I have it right, especially if there's a particularly thorny situation in play. Any error not reported by the next movement or build phase is final*, so say something as soon as you see it.

*If there is an error in number of builds awarded, this will be corrected in the nearest builds phase from when it is noticed. This is the only exception to the error not caught by the next phase is final rule.

And of course, the GM's decision is final.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1812 Overture: Game Start And House Rules

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 13 Apr 2018, 02:51

(My bids for Austria and Russia got flipped, btw)
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 13 Apr 2018, 02:56

NoPunIn10Did wrote:(My bids for Austria and Russia got flipped, btw)

So they did. Update coming shortly.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 13 Apr 2018, 03:00

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:(My bids for Austria and Russia got flipped, btw)

So they did. Update coming shortly.

Fixed!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 13 Apr 2018, 03:27

I also propose that this session of 1812 Overture be dubbed “1812 Eskimoverture” in honor of our illustrious GM, who has so graciously taken the reIns so that I might get a chance to play my own game.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 13 Apr 2018, 03:31

NoPunIn10Did wrote:I also propose that this session of 1812 Overture be dubbed “1812 Eskimoverture” in honor of our illustrious GM, who has so graciously taken the reIns so that I might get a chance to play my own game.

This was too funny not to do :lol:
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 13 Apr 2018, 03:35

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:I also propose that this session of 1812 Overture be dubbed “1812 Eskimoverture” in honor of our illustrious GM, who has so graciously taken the reIns so that I might get a chance to play my own game.

YESSSSS

Also it will help me considerably in keeping this game straight from the one I’m GMing.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 13 Apr 2018, 03:36

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:

YESSSSS

Also it will help me considerably in keeping this game straight from the one I’m GMing.

It'll help us both!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 13 Apr 2018, 03:56

A few bits of trivia:

This is the seventh (ever) game of this variant.
This is the third time this game will be played here on the PD forum.
This is the second time that this specific set of Detached power pairings has been in play.
A game where Austria played New Spain while Russia drew Shawnee has still not happened yet.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Next

Return to 1812 Eskimoture [Game 3]