Social Thread

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: bkbkbk, Zoomzip, Telleo, sjg11, condude1

Re: Social Thread

Postby Furycane » 02 Mar 2019, 23:35

Fatmo wrote:A strong-willed Padawan learner you are.

That's Jedi Master to you.
Queen of Meiltara in the Fantasy CYOC!

UFO Fever wrote:Furycane is Exhibit A of why the 3 quote limit is a thing.

Zoomzip wrote:I kinda thought it was an impressive tour de force of snarky bardism.
Furycane

Postby Telleo » 02 Mar 2019, 23:37

Furycane wrote:

A pretty young girl who's not dumb
But started to feel somewhat glum,
Did leave for a time,
Now comes back to rhyme,
And also to kill her some scum.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Bearer of the The Holy Whoopee Cushion of Memetic Sarcasm.
Telleo

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Furycane » 02 Mar 2019, 23:47

Telleo wrote:
Furycane wrote:

WHAT?

How can you do this? It's outrageous. It's unfair!
Queen of Meiltara in the Fantasy CYOC!

UFO Fever wrote:Furycane is Exhibit A of why the 3 quote limit is a thing.

Zoomzip wrote:I kinda thought it was an impressive tour de force of snarky bardism.
Furycane

Postby UFO Fever » 03 Mar 2019, 02:28

Something something twice the pride, double the fall.
Formerly Napoleon Hitler (but not in a pro-Nazi kind of way)
Silver Classicist.
Acting former bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Standard rating: (1157)
All-game rating: (1163)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sjg11 » 03 Mar 2019, 22:36

Furycane wrote:
All three of them get some well-deserved criticism. But all three have strong redeeming points, and many of the complaints levied against them miss the point of the movies. Discussion, for example, of the politics of the Phantom Menace recentralize the plot around those political discussions, when in reality they served more as a backdrop to Jedi kicking ass against a bunch of battle droids, giving us something we'd never seen before - the Jedi at the height of their power. Are the political discussions too long? Yes. Are they really the central plot point of the movie? No. They're the excuse for the plot. The plot is the spirit of cooperation between the Naboo and the Gungans, and the emergence of an enemy (Darth Maul and through him, the Sith) that poses a credible threat to the Jedi Order at the height of its power.

Ok, the political scenes first. I completely disagree that the political scenes are unimportant. Thematically, they're meant to be very important. The Republic is meant to be an empire which appears to be very powerful yet is, in reality, weak, corrupt and somewhat ineffective. It's meant to show that the glamorous image of the Jedi and the Republic which we receive in the Original Trilogy is deeply, deeply flawed. In that context the political scenes are important to the themes of the Prequels. The fact that they are so poorly executed significantly detracts from the film. For example, compare the political scenes in the Prequels to the political scenes in the early seasons of Game of Thrones. Obviously the latter is executed far more effectively. And the flaws of the Republic are supposed to be really important to the themes of the Prequels and the fact that they are executed dreadfully severely weakens the Trilogy. I mean it's a consistent flaw in the Trilogy that the Jedi and the Republic is flawed and the glorified image is flawed one moment and yet in the next moment we're expected to buy into the glorified image of the Republic for the films to work. If the Prequels wanted to create a morally ambiguous political thriller it could have been epic. Like imagine Game of Thrones set in the Star Wars universe (just PG 13 obviously). It would be amazing and it would add serious depth to Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and the Emperor as characters, three important players in the Original Trilogy. For instance, what if instead of being a simple villain, the Emperor actually has a point and logically views himself as a hero? That's interesting. But don't introduce political themes and then completely fail to follow through on them. Conversely if they wanted to go down the Jedi vs Sith fun space opera action thriller route, commit to that. Revenge of the Sith works in that way because at least there's more action to it and it works in that way even though the dialogue could be perfected etc. But as it stands it's like George Lucas thought about the political thriller and didn't follow through on it or execute it well which means that I don't care about it when it's meant to be important. If you want to introduce morally ambiguity, do that, do it properly and do it right. If you want a fun action thriller but with slightly simplistic villains, do that, do it properly and do it right. The Prequels make a half-hearted attempt to do both and end up doing neither.

Naboo and the Gungans- I care neither about Naboo nor the Gungans. The Prequels give me no reason to care about either of them. That theme falls flat.

Darth Maul is a good but not great villain and is the best thing about the Phantom Menace. He serves the function of being a legitimate threat that's fun to watch on screen. He provides the best scene in Phantom Menace. But there's no depth, complexity, backstory or motivation to him. A villain cannot be a great villain without those things.

Attack of the Clones is by far the weakest of the trilogy, but even that one has some redeeming qualities. The emergence of Dooku as a continuation of a threat thought by many to be finished after Maul's death, for example (or really, Christopher Lee in general). It gets (deserved) crap for Yoda's fight scene, but the artistry that goes into the Obi-Wan/Anakin v Dooku fight right before it is ignored. The creation of direct parallels to things we know and recognize in the future, like the clones/AT-TE's/Acclimators that are reminiscent of stormtroopers, AT-ATs, and Star Destroyers gets glossed over because people were upset that it included a love story. Was the love story garbage? Absolutely, but that's more a fault with the direction and dialogue writing than the plot writing.

Dooku is made into a competent villain by Lee's performance. But in his first scene they attempt to create a morally complex villain and, again, that attempt ends up being completely half-hearted and there is no follow through meaning that those scenes are just not particularly interesting set-up with no payoff.

The Clone stuff is fan servicing and, again, it fails to engage with me properly. Why is the creation of direct parallels a good thing?

There's an issue with direction and dialogue on the love story but that's execution and if something that is central the plotline is terribly executed it seriously drags the movie down. The Anakin-Padme storyline is meant to be a strong motivating force for Anakin so it being badly executed is a big deal.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)

Postby Telleo » 04 Mar 2019, 01:25

Did leave for a time,
Now comes back to rhyme,

Telleo

Postby mhsmith0 » 07 Mar 2019, 06:53

I’ve redeemed myself in webdip gunboat tourney by soloing as austria in the alternate finals
http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=232469
8-) :D
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby bkbkbk » 18 Mar 2019, 02:36

So having done that thing again that I keep saying I won't do (disappearing for months at a time)...

Hello again! How is everyone? Did I miss anything exciting?
Regards,
BK

Moderator of this shady corner of the forum. Come and pay us a visit!
bkbkbk

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby bkbkbk » 18 Mar 2019, 02:38

sjg11 wrote:
kimpossible wrote:Testing...

Yeah, nope. Doesn't exist for me.

Must be a mod-only thing. Cos sjg has it too. Cos bkbkbk is your Supreme Leader.

Did I do this? I don't remember doing this...
Regards,
BK

Moderator of this shady corner of the forum. Come and pay us a visit!
bkbkbk

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Telleo » 18 Mar 2019, 06:38

bkbkbk wrote:
sjg11 wrote:
kimpossible wrote:Testing...

Yeah, nope. Doesn't exist for me.

Must be a mod-only thing. Cos sjg has it too. Cos bkbkbk is your Supreme Leader.

Did I do this? I don't remember doing this...

I also don't remember doing that, but honestly it seems like something I would do, so I'm fine taking credit if no one else steps up.
Did leave for a time,
Now comes back to rhyme,

Telleo

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia