PlayDip Cup of Nations

Advertise new games, look for games to join, find subs or replacements. This subforum is reserved for games on www.playdiplomacy.com.
Please use Offsite Game Recruitment for games unaffiliated with either PlayDiplomacy or the PlayDiplomacy forums.

Moderator: NoPunIn10Did

Forum rules
To join a game listed here (unless it needs a password) just go to "Join Games" and input the information.
If you are advertising any game with Anonymous Players (including Gunboat and PPO) you should use the Dolph Shtoss account using the password anonymous. DO NOT CHANGE THIS PASSWORD.
When advertising for replacement players please make it clear whether permanent replacement or temporary substitute
- adverts should not tell a substitute what actions you want them to take (posts will be subject to editing);
- adverts MUST NOT offer an incentive to join the game (eg. a specific alliance) OR suggest certain actions when joining a game (posts will be subject to editing or removal and posters warned).
These are considered meta-gaming by using the Forum to influence a game.

PlayDip Cup of Nations

Postby rick.leeds » 06 May 2014, 00:10

It seems a very long time since we had a team tournament. I think it is time to try and get one going.

The idea behind the PlayDip Cup of Nations is that the teams are based on countries. There has been something like this before. I wanted to make it simpler this time.

I was originally contemplating 7 teams, representing 7 countries, each with 7 players. In other words, 7 games, with each country/team represented in each game, controlling a different power in each game.

Then I thought that there needn't be just 7 teams. 7 is the minimum but there doesn't need to be a maximum number of teams. For instance, if there were 8 teams, then there would be 8 games with each team missing one game. That would mean that teams would still play 7 games in total.

I guess there wouldn't need to be 7 players in each team. There is no reason why players couldn't play in more than one game. I would limit it to a minimum of 4 players per team, however, and players being limited to a maximum of 2 games. The games would run consecutively, as far as possible.

I haven't yet decided some of the finer points, such as scoring. For this tournament, the scoring would need to be fairly simple, though. I am thinking that it might be useful to have losing players score negatively ;) It may also be that some countries would run with more than one team representing them, depending upon how many teams we get going. Having said that, I would prefer a single, full team from a country, than two small teams... if we can get a minimum of 7 countries represented.

I'm not thinking of starting this straight away. I am really just putting the idea out there for now.

One thing I will say is that it would be limited to Premium members. ALL tournaments are Premium only; one of the perks.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: PlayDip Cup of Nations

Postby numberwang1 » 06 May 2014, 00:38

Im in! This sounds really cool!
Platinum Member of the Classicists
numberwang1

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1329)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby RolynTrotter » 06 May 2014, 02:42

This sounds neat, so I'll express interest.
Apparently I'm a Classicist. Huh. That's fun I guess
Prussia in Napoleonic: Empires and Coalitions -- Golly that was a long time ago
Short for Carolyn
RolynTrotter

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1004)
All-game rating: (1165)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby timg » 06 May 2014, 03:22

Sounds good to me . I am in.
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Gold member of the Classicists
Member of the Oldies
Cup of Nations Team USA
timg

Location: Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. .........We must be over the rainbow!
Standard rating: (1056)
All-game rating: (1194)

Postby jayahr » 06 May 2014, 03:32

Count me in.

Which team?

... I'm all outa gum.
jayahr

Standard rating: (1052)
All-game rating: (1608)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby fijikilo0 » 06 May 2014, 04:04

MUST... GO...PREMIUM...NOW!!!

Who wants to gift it to me? :cry:
Fee-G-Key-Low-(zero) Can ya pronounce it now?
Participant in Untitled/progressive story thread.
Indonesia in Far East Asia game A:Survivor with 1 SC
Peru in World Influence(First major power eliminated)
Before a backstab, be sure the blade can sever the tough spine.
Quitting (again)
fijikilo0

Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (951)

Postby numberwang1 » 06 May 2014, 05:00

fijikilo0 wrote:MUST... GO...PREMIUM...NOW!!!

Who wants to gift it to me? :cry:

If you have 5 or 10 dollars lying, its worth the investment. PlayDip charitably allows us poor folk to donate whatever we are able, although they recommend $25.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
numberwang1

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1329)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby bindlestiff » 06 May 2014, 05:01

I would love to be included, but I'm not available until the first of June. If you don't get it going until then, I'd be very interested in being selected.
-- bindlestiff
-- Platinum Classicist, Star Ambassador, card-carrying Oldie, and all-around prince of a guy

"La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée." (We were given speech to hide our thoughts.)
-- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
bindlestiff
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1270)
All-game rating: (1352)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sinnybee » 06 May 2014, 08:13

rick.leeds wrote:It may also be that some countries would run with more than one team representing them, depending upon how many teams we get going. Having said that, I would prefer a single, full team from a country, than two small teams... if we can get a minimum of 7 countries represented.

Last time, back in 2010 or so, I remember seeing that there was a US 1, US 2, Canada 1, and Canada 2.
We had a lot of active Canadian players on the forum back then.
If I may make a prediction, there will be enough sign-ups to fill 2 or 3 US teams, a Canadian team, and a UK team. We might get a few sign-ups each from the Netherlands and Australia. Other than that, a hard time getting more than one per country... maybe 2 sign-ups for Germany. Just my guess.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby rick.leeds » 06 May 2014, 08:17

Could be true, Sinny, we'll see. I hope players from other nationalities might be able to muster up some players. Which is why I posted here rather than in the Tournaments section.

As well as possibly tempting some interested people to perhaps go Premium to participate ;)

The reason it NEEDS to be Premium is that the games will be anonymous, by the way. Apart from site rules about all tournaments being Premium events.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Find A Game