FAQs Intro

A work in progress. You won't be able to post anything here!

PLAYING A GAME - No Orders

Postby rick.leeds » 24 Jun 2013, 00:33

What happens if a player doesn't enter orders?
No orders results in an NMR (No Moves Received). The player's units all HOLD in place. If it happens in a Retreats phase, any units needing to retreat will be disbanded instead. If it happens in a Build phase, no builds will be ordered; if units need to be destroyed, then they will be destroyed using the following order:
1. Units furthest away from a home supply centre; if two or more units are tied, then
2. Fleets are destroyed before armies splits the tie where possible; if two or more units are tied, then
3. Alphabetical order splits the tie.
If the game is a build anywhere variant, then units will be destroyed using the following order:
1. Units not in a supply centre before units in a supply centre; if two or more unites are tied, then
2. Fleets are destroyed before armies splits the tie where possible; if two or more units are tied, then
3. Alphabetical order splits the tie.

Is a player who doesn't enter orders removed from a game?
No, not on the first occasion with only one exception: if the game has been set up with Spring 1901 NMR protection, any player who fails to enter orders in Spring 1901 will be immediately removed from the game. In all other situations a player needs to miss two consecutive ORDER/MOVEMENT phases to be removed. Retreat phases and Build phases are not counted.

Why doesn't the site count retreats and builds as NMRs?
There reason is that retreats and builds are not separate turns. The game rules state that there are two turns - Spring and Fall (or Autumn; always Fall on site). Retreats and Builds are "phases" within each turn. So a Spring turn may contain an Orders phase and a Retreats phase, and a Fall turn may contain an Orders phase, a Retreats phase and a Builds phase. Not every player will need to retreat and, in some turns, NO player will need to retreat; similarly not every player will need to build or disband units in a Build phase, and players may not choose to order a build. Retreats and Builds, then, do not count as NMRs.

If I don't have any orders to enter, what do I do?
If you don't need to enter orders, for instance if you have no retreats to make or no units to build or destroy, you don't need to do anything. You can finalize (in games that allow finalization) and that may make the phase progress more quickly. It may also be that you choose not to enter any orders; you may wish to have all your units HOLD, or you may wish to not build units. In this case, if you finalize, you will be given a warning that you have not entered any orders and asking for confirmation that you want to finalize. In this situation, you will not receive an NMR.

It says a player has surrendered, what happens now?
The game will automatically be advertised on the site for a replacement player, unless the game is a SCHOOLS or FRIENDS game (in which replacements are not advertised). If a new player takes over the position, you will be told in the game's Public Press box. As far as the player's power is concerned, the units will all hold and will not be given any orders until someone new takes over.
There is one occasion where a player may surrender from the game and the power's units move. In this case, the player entered orders before surrendering; the final orders of the government were followed through!

Why have the units of a surrendered player moved?
This may be because, before the player surrendered, orders were placed for the player's units. These orders are always followed. The other time this may happen is when a new player has entered the game and placed orders; you need to track the Public Press announcements in case this happens.

Why is there someone new in my game?
This happens when someone surrenders and a new player takes over the position. This can't happen in a FRIENDS game or a SCHOOLS game, unless someone in the game gives out the password. However, it CAN happen in a RANKED or NO RANK game which was set up with a password. In these games, the password only prevents people joining the game at the start; once the game has started, the password no longer prevents someone taking over. This is to prevent games being unbalanced by a surrender, if possible; it is better for a new player to come into the game and play.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

PLAYING A GAME - In-game Statistics

Postby rick.leeds » 26 Jun 2013, 15:55

How do I propose a draw?
There are two ways to propose a draw, based on the two different draw systems the game may use:
- DIAS games require that anyone who has survived in the game when you propose a draw will be automatically included (DIAS stands for Draws Include All Survivors). In a DIAS game, all you need to do is open the Stats menu, scroll down to the bottom of the tab, and hit "Propose Draw". This is because everyone who has survived is automatically selected (you will see the boxes next to their names are already checked).
- Non-DIAS games are different. For these games you will find that, when you open the Stats menu, there is only one box checked - your own. For these games you will need to check the boxes of the players you want to propose share a draw. It doesn't have to be all the players remaining in the game. You can, if you want, uncheck your own name, which would mean you propose the draw but are not part of the draw. When you propose a draw this way, there must be a minimum of 2 players involved in the draw.

How do draws work?
Whether the draw is in a DIAS game or a non-DIAS game (see above) a draw will only be passed by the system if every player who has survived accepts it, whether they are part of the draw proposal in a non-DIAS game or not. If one player doesn't accept the draw then it will not go through. When you propose a draw, it will be posted in the game's Public Press box and the Stats menu option of the other surviving players will be highlighted to draw their attention to the proposal. Other players can then accept the proposal, reject it or do nothing about it. If a player accepts the draw, that will be posted in Public Press and recorded in the Stats menu; in this case the draw will remain open until the proposal is resolved. If a player rejects the draw, that will also be posted in Public Press and recorded in the Stats menu but the draw will be automatically removed from the game system; one rejection will always kill the draw. If a player decides not to respond to the draw, then the proposal will stay live until it "runs out"; when a proposal is made you will notice it will only stay live until a certain phase - when this phase is resolved, if the draw has not been accepted then it is killed.

Why is there more than one draw proposal on offer?
It is possible for one player to propose one draw, and for another player to propose another draw. If this happens, the first proposal to gain unanimous acceptance will be passed; the other proposal will be killed.

What happens if I hit "Surrender"?
The first thing that happens is that you will receive a warning that you are about to leave the game and you will be asked to confirm. If you really want to leave, then you will need to confirm this. You will immediately be removed from the game; your power will be placed in Civil Disorder and the position will be advertised for someone else to join the game in your place. If the game is a RANKED game, you will lose ratings points as if you had lost the game; also, your Ratings Shield will be drained (see RATINGS questions]. If the game is a NO RANK, FRIENDS or SCHOOLS game, you will lose nothing. However, you will find that if you surrender regularly, you will build a reputation as a quitter and people will begin to avoid playing with you. When you enter a game, you are agreeing to play with everyone else in the game; surrendering - unless it is for an unavoidable situation - is never going to be popular.

Can I re-join a game if I surrender from it?
If the game is a FRIENDS or a SCHOOLS game, then you will be able to re-enter the game as long as you do so as the same power you played before surrendering and as long as that position is still available. In every other situation you cannot re-enter the game. In a RANKED and NO RANK game, you will not be able to enter the game at all; in a FRIENDS and SCHOOLS game you will not be able to enter the game as a different power.

Why can't I re-enter a game?
The system automatically prevents an account entering the same game twice (with the exception for FRIENDS and SCHOOLS games mentioned above). This is to prevent players surrendering from a game, joining it again, then surrendering again. This simply messes every other player in the game round. Players are also not allowed to enter a game as another power because this would give them an advantage, seeing messages that were not meant for them, and it would make it possible for a player to surrender a losing position only to re-join the game under a stronger position.

Can I re-enter a game I have surrendered from with another account?
Technically, yes you COULD do this... but it will see your accounts banned from the site! We do not allow players to have more than one account; operating two accounts in the same game is multi-accounting and will earn an immediate ban and all accounts involved being disabled.

What is the "Ignore" button?
You will only see this button if you have been eliminated from an active game. When this happens, the game remains on your active games list; if you don't want it there, you can open the in-game Stats menu option and you will see the "Surrender" button has been replaced by the "Ignore" button. All this does is remove the game from your active games list to your finished games list.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

PLAYING A GAME - Problems

Postby rick.leeds » 26 Jun 2013, 16:17

My game had started but it has disappeared, what happened to it?
There are a number of possibilities:
1. If the game had Spring 1901 NMR protections activated, then it might be that someone has failed to enter orders in Spring 1901 and has therefore been removed from the game. The game will now be on your Pending games list, waiting for someone new to join the game. You will still be in the game as the same power you were before; the messages will still be there for you to see (when the game starts again) and the orders you entered will still be listed, although they will not be finalised.
2. The game may have finished! If this is the case, it will have been moved to your Finished games list. You should still be able to enter the game as, when a game has just finished, there is a Post-Game Chat period when you can still send messages and post in Public Press.
3. The game may have entered a processing stage. Occasionally, if the automated judge is busy, a game may enter processing (when a deadline has ended) and might disappear from your active games list for a short time. This most often occurs when a game has finished and the judge is finalising the details; in this case it will appear on your Finished games list shortly. Occasionally, though, this may happen whilst a game is active. Give the system some time to sort this out and it should process normally; if the game is still missing after a day, post in the Bugs Forum.
4. You may have surrendered or been surrendered. We do get players who surrender from games without meaning to. However, this means that they have clicked on the "Surrender" button under the in-game Stats tab, and they have also confirmed that they wish to do this. We will not replace players who claim they didn't mean to surrender. It may be that you missed entering orders on two consecutive movement phases. This means you are automatically removed from the game by the system.

Where did my game go?
Check the different Games tabs. Is it under the Pending games tab? This happens if the game needs to re-start for some reason. Is it under your Finished games tab? It may be that the game has finished; if it finished recently, it will be at the top of the list in the Post-game Chat phase. If it doesn't appear to be anywhere, check again in an hour or so under Active, Pending or Finished. Games don't disappear as a rule; if it isn't appearing ask in the Bugs Forum.

If I am eliminated from my game, does it count towards my three game limit?
If you are a non-Premium member, you are only allowed to be signed-up to or active in 3 games at any one time; one of the benefits of Premium membership is that you can play as many games as you can cope with! For a non-Premium player, any game on your Pending games list counts towards your limit, and any game you are active in. If you are eliminated from a game before it ends, the game remains on your active list (the game, after all, is still an active game and you remain registered to it). However, because you are no longer active in the game, it doesn't count towards your three game limit.

I want to keep notes about my game, my alliances, etc; how can I do this?
You can keep these notes off site if you want, or you can use the in-game system. If you scroll down to the bottom of the map, you will see, on the right side of the screen, "Your game notes". If you want to make notes, you can simply open this section and enter your thoughts.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to FAQs