Orders Failed to Register (no bug)

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Orders Failed to Register (no bug)

Postby smithw » 18 May 2020, 19:35

https://www.playdiplomacy.com/games.php

Game #: 173387 "Part 2 - Final Version"

In the most recent turn, Russia's orders were not registered by the system. He has submitted orders throughout the game and was active on the game last night and this morning before the turn processed. However, the game registered his orders as all "HOLDS" for the turn. This resulted in a drastic swing in power between him and Austria.

To be clear, Russia claims that he entered and finalized orders before the deadline but the game did not register them. This resulted in HOLDS for all of his pieces. If possible, we would appreciate it if the game history could be adjusted to account for his orders.

Last Turn Processed: Fall 1905
Current Turn: Retreat Fall 1905
Next Deadline: May 19th 2020 18:00 (GMT)

Please feel free to message me with any questions. Thanks for looking into this and please let me know any options we have to correct this.
smithw

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1024)
All-game rating: (1032)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Orders Failed to Register

Postby The Red Sphinx » 19 May 2020, 05:09

I’ll be staggered if the system screwed up the orders.

Either Russia screwed up, or his lying and wanted to hold everything. Given holding is the default order when nothing is submitted, it is likely the former.

Always double check the orders tab to male sure they reflect what you entered (or toggle the arrows on the map on). This is especially the case if you are on a phone or dodgy wifi.
The Red Sphinx

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1292
All-game rating: 1287
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby smithw » 19 May 2020, 18:00

Thanks for the response. I should've mentioned this above but this is a group of friends playing and while sometimes people obviously miss their orders we have pretty good reason to assume that Russia submitted them.

I agree that it is unlikely that the system messed everything up, rather I think that the orders failed to be registered in the first place. As your tip points out, the system sometimes "glitches" when entering the orders and I'm sure this is what occurred. This is part of the game and unfortunate but it really swings the tide and throws off the balance of the game. Also, it is highly unlikely that he entered these orders on purpose, unanimous Holds for all of his units make no sense given his position without any supports entered.

I've spoken with the other players and we are in agreement that we would prefer to correct the mistake. Do you or anyone else know if it's possible for the mods/admin to go into a game and either reset the turn or manually override the board position to correct this. Our preference would be to continue the game with the current position reflecting Russia's intended orders.
smithw

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1024)
All-game rating: (1032)

Postby ColonelApricot » 20 May 2020, 09:08

Everyone could just enter Holds for all orders while Russia enters the missing orders. You'd be out of cycle by a season but you then could all hold for one more, then you'd be good to go with Russia in the same position as if he had not missed his orders.

NB to check if your orders have been accepted you can use the Refresh button that restores currently recorded orders from the database.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1400

Return to Bugs