Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes: Actively Recruiting

Variant-player game allowing for players to create (and destroy) their own nations in 1000 CE. GM'd by Aeschines (on Discord).

Moderator: Morg

Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes: Actively Recruiting

Postby Aeschines » 31 May 2019, 05:47

Hello al! We are moving into recruitment for DDP. To join please post here or PM me and also join the Discord server here: https://discord.gg/djyaDBa
The game will be run with a (fairly strict) 2/1/1/1 system (48 hours for spring/fall, 24 hours for builds, retreats, and "coronation" phases)

Dukes & Popes Diplomacy Master.png
Dukes & Popes Diplomacy Master.png (66.15 KiB) Viewed 501 times

Rules for Diplomacy of Dukes and Popes III v1.0
Synopsis
This variant is designed to allow greater roleplaying potential than in vanilla diplomacy. Rather than having the various powers and nations set at the beginning of the game, groups of players are allowed to form (and break and reform) their own powers. This changes the victory conditions (as there is not a set number of powers). The game also adds religions and religious elections to the standard game.

Map Notes
The game is played on a modified version of the Diplomacy of Castles and Vassals developed by William Gibson.
Canals - Constantinople and Roskilde operate just like Constantinople in regular diplomacy.
Island Roskilde - Roskilde, as an island, does not block the coasts of the adjacent spaces. Thus Jutland and Hamburg both have two coasts. However, Hamburg is not adjacent to Baltic Sea (BcS).
Venice - Venice is not an island and does block the adjacent coasts. Neither Lombardy or Graz have coasts or may be occupied by fleets.
Dual Coasts - Jutland, Hamburg, York, and Strathclyde all have two coasts (one east and one west), even though they are not so marked.
Unclaimed territory - Non-player SCs will begin the game with neutral armies that cannot move or retreat.

Game Start
First phase is Winter 1000 CE. Each player will start with 2 SCs (counties) determined by preference. Preferences should be submitted via discord without discussion with other players.

1- Vassal System
DDP adds a vassal system to the game, allowing players to form their own nations. Players are able to gain the following ranks: Count, Duke, King, Emperor, Pope. With the exception of Pope, a player must spend at least one year with a title to gain the next higher title.

1.1 - Coronation Phase - After fall retreats but before winter builds, DDP adds a new phase. This phase allows players to swear allegiance to other players, creating new nations. During this phase, players may also cast their elector votes for the heads of their religions or crown kings and emperors (discussed later). Coronation orders are resolved at the conclusion of the Coronation Phase.
    Coronation Phase orders look like this:
      "I swear allegiance to the current Duke of London. I accept the allegiance of the current count of Edinburgh. I cast 2 votes for Pope Aeschines, of Paris."
      If an order is invalid or ambiguous during the Coronation Phase, it is considered as if it had never been written.

1.2 - Allegiance Caps - No player may have the direct allegiance of more than 2 other players (regardless of their rank). Thus a Duke may have two Counts or a King may have a Count and a Duke. But a King may not have two Dukes and a Count under their direct allegiance. 3+ player nations may be formed, however, if a Duke (with two counts) swears allegiance to a King, so long as the King is owed allegiance by no more than two players.

1.3 - Standing Orders - Players' previous Coronation Phase orders are considered to stand for all future Coronation Phases, unless they are specifically changed by the player.
    Rejecting Allegiance - A player only accepts the allegiance of another player by explicitly ordering it in their Coronation Phase orders. A player may revoke their acceptance of another player's allegiance during any Coronation Phase.

1.4 - Counts & Dukes - Any player with at least one SC is a "count." Counts can become Dukes by accepting the allegiance of any other count. To become a Duke, a player must have spent one full year (a spring-fall) as a Count.

1.5 - Kings & Emperors - A Duke becomes a King (or a King an Emperor) if they... a) have been a Duke for a full year (spring-fall); b) accept the allegiance of a fellow Duke; c) is crowned by the head of their religion.

2 - Religions
There are four religions in the game, three of which have religions heads. The religions are Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Islam, and Paganism,

2.1 - Religious Electors - Each province in the game has a religion. The religions of the provinces are fixed, with the exception of Pagan provinces. For every province of a particular religion a player owns, they may cast one additional vote during each Coronation Phase to elect the leader of that religion.

2.2 - Voting for the Pope - During a Coronation Phase, each player may vote for one player to become the head of a religion. Players may not vote for the heads of two separate religions during the same Coronation Phase, but may "change religions" in subsequent Coronation Phases by casting different votes. Players receive one vote automatically and an additional vote for each province they own of that religion. (Thus the Duke of Edinburgh, who owns Edinburgh and Dublin gets three votes if voting for the Catholic Pope but only one vote if voting for the Islamic Caliph).

2.3 - Becoming the Pope - A player who wins a majority of the votes cast for a particular religion becomes the religion head (Pope, Patriarch, Caliph). That player then immediately (i.e. before the winter phase) gains control of Rome, Cordoba, or Constantinople (for Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and Islam respectively), taking it from whoever had control of the SC.

2.4 - Papal Powers - Religious heads immediately gain the power to crown Kings and Emperors. Religious heads may only crown Kings and Emperors who voted in that religion's election in the current Coronation Phase.
      Example: In the third Coronation Phase the Duke of Edinburgh casts one vote for the Jane as Caliph. Jane, during that same Coronation Phase, has issued the order "Crown Duke of Edinburgh as King". Jane wins the Caliphate election. --- This Phase resolves with the Duke of Edinburgh becoming a King and Jane becoming the Caliph.
      Example 2: In the third Coronation Phase the King of Bulgaria casts two votes for Kyle to be Patriarch. Jane the Caliph has issued the order "Crown King of Bulgaria as Emperor." Jane wins the Caliphate election. --- This Phase resolves with the King of Bulgaria failing to become Emperor. Caliph Jane could not crown him because he voted in the Orthodox election

3 - Converting the Pagans
The most northern provinces begin the game without an organized religion. Those provinces do not add to a player religious election vote for any religion."

3.1 - Conversion - Once a single player, owning a pagan province has voted in two subsequent religious elections (for the same religion), while owning the province, it converts to that religion. It can never be converted again.

4 - NMRs & Liege's Orders
To account for the size of the game, a special order rule allows liege-lords to issue provisional orders for their vassals.

4.1 - Liege's Orders - Each player, in addition to issuing orders to their own units, may issue orders during spring and fall phases to their vassals (only their direct vassals!). A liege's orders override an NMR but are overridden by any orders issued by the vassal. If a vassal issues any orders that phase the liege orders are entirely ignored (but will still be published). Players may not issue liege orders for the vassals of their vassals.

5 - Winning the Game
Based on their titles, each player is awarded points.

5.1 - Ending the Game - The game can end at any point with every surviving independent nation getting a veto (i.e. a count under a duke would not have veto power). The game may also be called early (but with at least a 2-year delay) by the GM.

5.2 - Winning the Game - At game end if the player with the most points has more points than the 2nd or 3rd place players combined, then the top player wins a solo victory. If that is not the case, then the seven players with the highest point totals share in a draw.

5.3 - Winning Points - Point totals are always public. Each player, at the end of the each year, gets 0.5 points per personally owned SC, 1 point per rank (i.e. Duke = 2, King = 3), and the Pope of each religion gets 0.5 points per player who voted in that religion's election.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1454
All-game rating: 1640
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes: Actively Recruiting

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 31 May 2019, 06:16

I'm interested!
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby StarkAdder » 31 May 2019, 15:10

Aeschines GMing another beautiful new variant, Don Juan of Austria already in the game, what's not to love?

Please count me in as well.

StarkAdder
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1196
All-game rating: 1054

Postby Aeschines » 31 May 2019, 19:25

Hooray!!!

Both of you, please join the Discord server and then type %apply to submit your starting SC/county preferences
Aeschines

Postby Matthias_013 » 01 Jun 2019, 04:38

I have never played a PbF game before, but this one looks quite interesting and I'd like to give it a try if you will have me.

Thanks,
Matthias
Matthias_013
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1199
All-game rating: 1200

Postby Aeschines » 02 Jun 2019, 04:50

Matthias_013 wrote:I have never played a PbF game before, but this one looks quite interesting and I'd like to give it a try if you will have me.

Thanks,
Matthias

You're welcome! Join through the Discord link at the top of the OP and then submit your preferences (instructions in the "announcements" channel).
Aeschines

Postby Matthias_013 » 03 Jun 2019, 00:29

All set, thanks!
Matthias_013
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador