Near desert city states (NPCs)

This subforum contains the currently active CYOC Variant

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

Near desert city states (NPCs)

Postby jpstreetman » 18 Mar 2019, 18:23

Hi all, I am adding 6 city states/minor civs around the borders of Urak as minor players, and a way to boost my pop closer to starting maximum. Culturally and technologically speaking they are an nearly the same place as Urak.

So to the northwest is Aserii pop 30,000 with a small minority of sky elves, to the straight west is Babili pop 50,000 with renowned marble quarries. to the south is Jeru pop 40,000 whose people are adapted to the desert.
Southeast is Elama pop 60,000 with a dwarven minority
East is Persii pop 20,000 they have suffered much at the hands of orcs, and Northeast is Scythii pop 50,000whose tradition of archery is very strong.
jpstreetman

Re: Near desert city states (NPCs)

Postby jpstreetman » 18 Mar 2019, 18:25

The family of the Mardukan is married into the Families of the rulers of Scythii and Jeru, and Urak is in Persii with an army defending from orcs.
jpstreetman

Postby Telleo » 18 Mar 2019, 22:29

Where, exactly, are these cities? It sounds like at least two of them (Aserii and Scythii) are being placed right on my borders, and two (Scythii and Persii) have been dropped into the lands the orcs are already moving through. Seems a bit late for adding things like that to an area currently experiencing player activity.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Keirador » 18 Mar 2019, 23:47

jpstreetman wrote:East is Persii pop 20,000 they have suffered much at the hands of orcs,

. . .and Urak is in Persii with an army defending from orcs.

Yeah, I have a problem with this having already happened. The Orcs I've been playing with have been doing stuff and being involved in the world, and it isn't this. Like, did the Urak/Orc combat just not happen anymore, or happen differently? Urak had prepared that specific battle field and there wasn't a city there at the time, and the Orcs lost that battle, so how'd they then go on to make Persii suffer? Were those different Orcs, so now there are just a lot more Orcs in the area than I'd thought? What are they trying to accomplish in making Persii suffer, and shouldn't a judge determine the extent to which they have been successful?
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Furycane » 19 Mar 2019, 01:53

Telleo wrote:my borders

Lol. Bitch, you thought.
Queen of Meiltara in the Fantasy CYOC!

UFO Fever wrote:Furycane is Exhibit A of why the 3 quote limit is a thing.

Zoomzip wrote:I kinda thought it was an impressive tour de force of snarky bardism.
Furycane

Postby Furycane » 19 Mar 2019, 01:54

But yes to the sentiment here. This is placing cities in events already happening.
Queen of Meiltara in the Fantasy CYOC!

UFO Fever wrote:Furycane is Exhibit A of why the 3 quote limit is a thing.

Zoomzip wrote:I kinda thought it was an impressive tour de force of snarky bardism.
Furycane

Postby jpstreetman » 19 Mar 2019, 03:04

I mean, SJG approved this like a week ago but if you guys have huge objections I was just assuming that the unclaimed land around me was free.
jpstreetman

Postby Keirador » 19 Mar 2019, 04:20

It's not a huge objection, just like. . . how would you answer my questions above? How do we deal with retroactive worldbuilding?
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby sjg11 » 19 Mar 2019, 20:01

jpstreetman wrote:I mean, SJG approved this like a week ago but if you guys have huge objections I was just assuming that the unclaimed land around me was free.

I greenlighted the idea to create NPCs around your territory, I didn't greenlight the specifics. For the record I'm fine with everything bar the Persii as that's interfering with the Orc Migration event. So yeah remove the Persii as there's conflict going on there between the Urak and the Orcs which would need to be rewritten if the Persii exist but I'm happy with the rest of it. On the Scythii no Orcs are there currently so nothing needs to be rewritten as a result so that's fine. Being near the Orcs and on top of the Orcs are different things and as this was suggested before the Orc Migration kicked off I'm satisfied that this is not just being done to provide a convenient buffer between Urak and the Orcs which would be my fear if this had come out of nowhere.

As for the two cities bordering Tarach territory, the Tarach have a large border and still have a lot of room to expand into while Urak has a lower population than some nations so I'm ok with it as it doesn't hit the Tarachi unduly and it helps to give a boost to Urak, currently one of the weaker nations here.

Any objections?
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby mat.gopack » 19 Mar 2019, 20:34

I think even Persii isn't *necessarily* a problem to exist, it's just that declaring it being ravaged by the orcs may not be appropriate. Keir is coordinating what the orcs are doing for a reason - so that everyone doesn't just decree what is happening. Obviously we know there'd be people living in that area anyways, though a large city-state is *slightly* different.

On the whole I think they're fine inclusions, just need to make sure everyone agrees that it's reasonable-ish.
.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.mat.gopack.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.
Mattopia of the Mattibean Union in CYOC. You should join ;)

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (929)
All-game rating: (929)

Next

Return to Current Variant