PDL 1, Round 3, Game 1. AAR

Postby Pootleflump » 03 Sep 2018, 11:37

ENGLAND GruGloG
FRANCE greggybear (2 way draw)
ITALY Verse 9
GERMANY mjparrett
AUSTRIA Charleroi (2 way draw)
TURKEY StarkAdder
RUSSIA the_discourses (GPD until Fall 1916)

DiploAAR.png
DiploAAR.png (42.12 KiB) Viewed 981 times

CONGRATULATIONS FRANCE AND AUSTRIA. Our last epic PDL game (and this WAS an epic one). Take centre stage. Let's hear what happened.
But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1823
All-game rating: 1898
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL 1, Round 3, Game 1. AAR

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 03 Sep 2018, 13:03

At first glace, it looks like a two player challenge...
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby StarkAdder » 03 Sep 2018, 13:44

For a long time it was a 6 vs 1 player challenge. Then it was 6 vs 2. I’ll let others explain....
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1208
All-game rating: 1063
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby V » 03 Sep 2018, 16:33

StarkAdder wrote:For a long time it was a 6 vs 1 player challenge. Then it was 6 vs 2. I’ll let others explain....

Can the 8th player present please provide that explanation :lol:
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Fatmo » 03 Sep 2018, 18:21

Just glanced at the final map for a second.

Why did France not take Munich for the solo? It was just sitting there for him to take in the next move without any chance of being countered. Unless I looked too quickly and missed something.

I'm not necessarily criticizing France for doing so. It's just obviously an odd way to end what looks like a long and well fought game.

Looks like it was probably a crazy game.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Strategus » 03 Sep 2018, 19:46

Fatmo wrote:Just glanced at the final map for a second.

Why did France not take Munich for the solo? It was just sitting there for him to take in the next move without any chance of being countered. Unless I looked too quickly and missed something.

+1
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1730

Postby jay65536 » 03 Sep 2018, 22:22

Fatmo wrote:Just glanced at the final map for a second.

You did not look too quickly. I've been following this game since all 7 powers were still alive. France openly passed on a forced solo.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1124
All-game rating: 1130
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mjparrett » 03 Sep 2018, 22:25

The game that broke me. Germany again (all 3 PDL games as my least favourite country?!), and GPDs shock surrender.

If you don't want to explain your reasons here I will respect that. The thing that annoyed me was not being told privately before hand and finding out with everyone else. Then before I can get a sub, someone joins a game that says "PDL members only" (even though he wasn't) and proceeds to throw the game.

Well played on the draw though guys. Greggy - congrats especially as it was there for the taking. Despite what you thought you never annoyed me in game, I just ignored you ;) And congrats Pootle as well (and thank you) for subbing in when 'bear was half blind and needed some help, and managing to break the ALA.

I won't give any game thoughts here, mainly because I played I horrible game (have I mentioned I don't like Germany?) and didn't overly influence the result.

Peace & Love
Mike
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1534
All-game rating: 1573

Postby Charleroi » 04 Sep 2018, 17:17

There will be, I'm sure, much longer explanations in the full AAR as everyone shares a view, but I can explain the resolution. France had some issues that required him to step away for a portion of the game. We were all pleased that he was able to return toward the end. He spoke with Mike to arrange a sub during his absence. Pootleflump filled in very ably. France returned just as GDP was quitting the game. A new Russia joined without invitation. New Russia began making what I viewed to be unreasonable demands about moving forward. When I declined to agree, he did his best to throw the game to France. France, recently returned after a long absence, told me that he was not comfortable taking the solo in these circumstances (his long absence combined with new Russia's destructive play). He offered to work toward a 2WD and I agreed. France certainly could have taken a solo victory, he just decided it wasn't how he wanted the game to end. This game took a long, twisted path. I'm not surprised it had an idiosyncratic conclusion.
Charleroi
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1577
All-game rating: 1648
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Fatmo » 04 Sep 2018, 19:43

Ahh ok well that at least makes some sense. I’ve played greggy before in another pretty intense and unique game, and I’m guessing he’d have taken the solo if he felt it was earned legitimately. Sometimes replacements can make things weird. Sounds like the Russia switch was kind of a paradigm shift.

Looking near the end of the shoutbox, seems none of the players were particularly upset at the outcome, even if the path there was odd. That’s the most important thing I guess. Lol you all shouldn’t care too much what some Monday morning quarterbacks think of the decisions you guys made in your game upon a quick glance.

Does look like an interesting story, which is mainly why I posted here in the first place. Marking this so I can easily see the AARs.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Next

Return to PDL AARs