Social Thread

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Social Thread

Postby kimpossible » 01 May 2018, 18:07

Parabellum wrote:Actually, I remembered something that happened when I was growing up. I grew up in Albuquerque, and my parents were looking for jobs out-of-state. My dad was offered a job in Louisville, where we have family. The company didn't offer him as much money as he wanted, though, so he told us that he had turned them down, and that we'd be moving to one of three other places where we didn't have family. Little Para naively asked, "Isn't family more important than money?". My dad chuckled, and explained why he was choosing to move us somewhere else (an explanation I've entirely forgotten).

Anyway, this whole process has me asking myself the same question. Out of the mouths of babes.

Yeah, tough decision. Is it a question of "Leave, have job" or "Stay, no job"? Because that seems a clearer choice...
Aspiring Member of the Classicists!
Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness

Her?
kimpossible
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Parabellum » 01 May 2018, 18:14

kimbyrle wrote:
Parabellum wrote:Actually, I remembered something that happened when I was growing up. I grew up in Albuquerque, and my parents were looking for jobs out-of-state. My dad was offered a job in Louisville, where we have family. The company didn't offer him as much money as he wanted, though, so he told us that he had turned them down, and that we'd be moving to one of three other places where we didn't have family. Little Para naively asked, "Isn't family more important than money?". My dad chuckled, and explained why he was choosing to move us somewhere else (an explanation I've entirely forgotten).

Anyway, this whole process has me asking myself the same question. Out of the mouths of babes.

Yeah, tough decision. Is it a question of "Leave, have job" or "Stay, no job"? Because that seems a clearer choice...

No, it's more a question of what kind of job I have. Leaving would get me into teaching, which is what I want to do with my life. I have experience in offices and also in manual labor, so finding a job has never been a problem for me, and I'm already working some. My area has no shortage of jobs, and I'm not worried about being able to provide for my family. It's finding a teaching job that is more difficult.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (969)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby sjg11 » 01 May 2018, 19:30

Honestly, my advice would generally be to take the teaching job. You’re young, if there’s a time to move away and chase something like that this is it
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby shadowface » 01 May 2018, 22:06

Parabellum wrote:Whelp, just got out of my last undergrad lecture. Weird feeling. Still have finals, but not all that worried about them. Also, I found out that I passed those comprehensive exams from a couple of weeks ago, so that's a good feeling, too.

Now I just need to find a job. It's strange going into a world where I'm going to have a full-time job and nothing on the side. Haven't lived that way in 4 years.

Congratulations!
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1 (before brilliantly betting her name away).

Also the Mafia forum's resident scum. If you're looking for someone to lynch, I'm statistically your best choice.

The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Parabellum » 01 May 2018, 23:21

sjg11 wrote:Honestly, my advice would generally be to take the teaching job. You’re young, if there’s a time to move away and chase something like that this is it

Yeah, been there, done that. That was a different venture before I was married (I'm 28). My thoughts on relocating have evolved since my son was born two years ago. Now there are few things that I consider important enough to leave family... even this impending relocation was only supposed to be a temporary thing, but, the problem is, the kinds of schools I'm applying to just aren't everywhere. If we moved away, there's still a very low chance that I'd be able to find work in my field near home. So, yeah.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Postby Parabellum » 01 May 2018, 23:31

Guess I should add that I've never thought what a person did in their life (specifically, what career they pursue) was as important as the person they became, and that the latter necessarily involves their relationship with their family. So that's pretty much been my modus operandi... forever. If I didn't believe that I would never have studied philosophy.

Of course this isn't to say that a person who does not have a good relationship with their family can't be a good person, they definitely can be, especially if that bad relationship is not their fault. But I do think familial relationships are one of the most important aspects of who a person is, so I feel kind of like I'm amputating a limb if I choose to move away.
Parabellum

Postby Keirador » 02 May 2018, 21:12

I hear you Para. Tough decisions. We're moving back east to be closer to family and I'm really gonna miss all I'm giving up out here.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Keirador » 02 May 2018, 21:12

Unrelatedly, happy birthday kim!(?)
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Postby kimpossible » 02 May 2018, 21:15

Keirador wrote:Unrelatedly, happy birthday kim!(?)

Erm? My birthday was Feb 5th.
Aspiring Member of the Classicists!
Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness

Her?
kimpossible
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Keirador » 02 May 2018, 21:18

Ha, seems to be a US/Euro confusion then. The board thinks it's 5/2, not 2/5, and is auto-congratulating you on it. Hence the question mark there.
Keirador

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia