Social Thread

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Re: Social Thread

Postby kimpossible » 27 Apr 2018, 21:04

Keirador wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:Like last night, no kidding, I was on my way to meet ZZ at a restaurant, was texting him from a red light "I'm at the Mt. Vernon Glebe intersection."

Instead what came out was "I'm at the Mt Cabin Gorge intervention."

He was understandably confused.

Remember T9 predictive text, back when we were using number pads to write text messages? (I assume shadow and condude literally don't, which is harrumph.) Those were the BEST autocorrect monstrosities. One I will never forget; a friend of mine would consistently fat-finger "campus center" to. . . "abortion center." Leading to text messages like "I'm just grabbing a bite to eat at the abortion center" and "I met the cutest guy at the abortion center" and "bored, so I'm just heading to the abortion center for something to do."

Ironically, she ended up working in health as an advocate for women's reproductive rights. I frequently ask her how the war on babies is going.

Having one of those moments where I'm holding my nose so I don't laugh out loud at my desk.
Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Keirador » 27 Apr 2018, 21:39

Zoomzip wrote:To track back a bit: MY issue with the final book of The Broken Earth wasn't the social commentary (Which I thought was phenomenal throughout) but that having put her characters through so much hell, we reached a point where, quite understandably, they were utterly exhausted. And the prose reflected that. And as a reader, I too felt like "we're just barely making it, limping heavily, to the finish line" - compared to the first two books where there was so much plot momentum and wonderous moments that you were carried through some of the quite horrific stuff that was happening.

Huh. I totally get that, I just didn't regard it as a problem. I mean, when we first meet Essun she's quite, quite in the grips of PTSD and is barely making it.
I also thought the added perspective of Syl Anagist provided a nice break from the despair, even if it was just a different flavor of despair.

Zoomzip wrote:Also, I totally knew what word was missing by the end of book 1, and was so happy that I had figured it out (and I think I was supposed to, but I still felt like I got it before the book expected me to get it, and well before the ultimate reveal)

I, uh, spoiler-tag this for me?
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Zoomzip » 27 Apr 2018, 21:48

I rememeber reading this passage early in Book 1:

"People in the Stillness do not speak of other continents, either, though it is plausible to suspect they might exist elsewhere. No one has traveled around the world to see that there aren’t any; seafaring is dangerous enough with resupply in sight and tsunami waves that are only a hundred feet high rather than the legendary mountains of water said to ripple across the unfettered deep ocean. They simply take as given the bit of lore passed down from braver civilizations that says there’s nothing else. Likewise, no one speaks of celestial objects, though the skies are as crowded and busy here as anywhere else in the universe. This is largely because so much of the people’s attention is directed toward the ground, not the sky. They notice what’s there: stars and the sun and the occasional comet or falling star. They do not notice what’s missing. But then, how can they? Who misses what they have never, ever even imagined?"

Jemisin, N. K.. The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth Book 1) (pp. 150-151). Orbit. Kindle Edition.

And knowing immediately that what was missing was

The Moon

which I don't think is explicitly mentioned until the end of Book 1.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby Keirador » 27 Apr 2018, 22:04

Ah right. I may've already spoiled that.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby kimpossible » 30 Apr 2018, 21:31

Well now things have really gotten interesting in my "beginners" mentored Diplomacy game.

Edited to remove game details. I'm just in with a bunch of experienced players who took over surrendered slots.
Last edited by kimpossible on 30 Apr 2018, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby shadowface » 30 Apr 2018, 22:13

kimbyrle wrote:Edited to remove game details. I'm just in with a bunch of experienced players who took over surrendered slots.

Lol, kim, you don't fit very well. Because you're definitely not new at all at actively participating in a game on this site :P, but you're obviously new to diplomacy strategy. So you kind of fall between the experienced players and the inactive noobs.

I hope it goes well for you!
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Parabellum » 01 May 2018, 16:56

Whelp, just got out of my last undergrad lecture. Weird feeling. Still have finals, but not all that worried about them. Also, I found out that I passed those comprehensive exams from a couple of weeks ago, so that's a good feeling, too.

Now I just need to find a job. It's strange going into a world where I'm going to have a full-time job and nothing on the side. Haven't lived that way in 4 years.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (969)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby kimpossible » 01 May 2018, 17:22

Parabellum wrote:Whelp, just got out of my last undergrad lecture. Weird feeling. Still have finals, but not all that worried about them. Also, I found out that I passed those comprehensive exams from a couple of weeks ago, so that's a good feeling, too.

Now I just need to find a job. It's strange going into a world where I'm going to have a full-time job and nothing on the side. Haven't lived that way in 4 years.

WOOHOO! Congrats on passing!

Her?
kimpossible

Postby Parabellum » 01 May 2018, 17:43

kimbyrle wrote:
Parabellum wrote:Whelp, just got out of my last undergrad lecture. Weird feeling. Still have finals, but not all that worried about them. Also, I found out that I passed those comprehensive exams from a couple of weeks ago, so that's a good feeling, too.

WOOHOO! Congrats on passing!

Thanks! Expecting to hear back from that school in VA this week, and I've also had a final round interview with that one in AZ. That interview actually couldn't have gone better. Never knew my love of Dostoevsky could get me a job, but it just might have done that.

On the other hand, my wife and I are reconsidering relocating. My brother has a neurological illness that seems to be worsening. He lives with my parents near where we are now, and... if he lost the ability to communicate or something like that I would never forgive myself for moving away while he had that ability. So... yeah, big decision coming up.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Postby Parabellum » 01 May 2018, 17:58

Actually, I remembered something that happened when I was growing up. I grew up in Albuquerque, and my parents were looking for jobs out-of-state. My dad was offered a job in Louisville, where we have family. The company didn't offer him as much money as he wanted, though, so he told us that he had turned them down, and that we'd be moving to one of three other places where we didn't have family. Little Para naively asked, "Isn't family more important than money?". My dad chuckled, and explained why he was choosing to move us somewhere else (an explanation I've entirely forgotten).

Anyway, this whole process has me asking myself the same question. Out of the mouths of babes.
Parabellum

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia