NMR retreats : How is destination determined

Some questions come up a lot... look here for simple explanations of the rules.

NMR retreats : How is destination determined

Postby Von Ubercastel » 07 Mar 2018, 23:57

I know that for powers that are in civil disorder, a retreat results in a unit being disbanded, or destroyed. However for a power that is active but did not enter Retreat orders, is the unit retreated or destroyed? And if it's retreated how is the destination of the retreat determined if there are multiple options?
Von Ubercastel
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1713
All-game rating: 1934
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: NMR retreats : How is destination determined

Postby mjparrett » 08 Mar 2018, 00:02

It is destroyed...
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1534
All-game rating: 1573
Timezone: GMT

Postby Von Ubercastel » 08 Mar 2018, 00:46

Are you sure? I only push this because I have seen several times where players entered no orders in the spring just hold hold hold hold they had a unit that was dislodged and retreated somewhere then all their moves in the fall where again hold hold hold hold they had to dislodge it retreated somewhere, and then at the end of the year they were declared Auto surrendered because of no move received. That meant that their retreats happened during a no move received phase.
Von Ubercastel
Premium Member

Postby gareth66 » 08 Mar 2018, 00:54

mjparrett wrote:It is destroyed...

Yep. Absolutely. And quite right too. Why should a player who does not enter orders have the system enter orders for him?! Doesn't work that way. If you don't enter orders, no orders are executed.

The only time (ONLY time) the system has an algorithm for deciding what should happen is in the event of disband orders not entered in a Build phase. (Either by an active player or in civil disorder). And in that situation, the algorithm follows the rules of the game to the letter.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby gareth66 » 08 Mar 2018, 00:58

Von Ubercastel wrote:Are you sure? I only push this because I have seen several times where players entered no orders in the spring just hold hold hold hold they had a unit that was dislodged and retreated somewhere then all their moves in the fall where again hold hold hold hold they had to dislodge it retreated somewhere, and then at the end of the year they were declared Auto surrendered because of no move received. That meant that their retreats happened during a no move received phase.

He is absolutely right. The only circumstance under which a unit will retreat somewhere is if it is ordered to do so.

It might be useful if you could post references to the games you describe. What you are describing is essentially impossible on the site.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby Von Ubercastel » 08 Mar 2018, 02:01

I apologize, on closer inspection it seems the situation I was referring to was slightly different. The player had all Hold orders, then retreated, then had 2 more all hold orders, then was auto surrendered. So I guess what happened was the player was NMR, came back and ordered his retreat, then went 2 more NMR, then was auto surrendered.

Thanks to both of you for your answers!
Von Ubercastel
Premium Member

Return to Regular Rules Issues Explained