2018 Live Mafia

Does what it says on the tin.

Moderators: Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Parabellum » 05 Mar 2018, 04:33

We'd finally get to experience your famous New England accent/syntax/mannerisms. Until now, I've had to imagine you as M*A*S*H's Winchester (RIP).
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
User avatar
Parabellum
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: 25 May 2017, 18:46
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 969
All-game rating: 956
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Nanook » 05 Mar 2018, 04:34

Parabellum wrote:We'd finally get to experience your famous New England accent/syntax/mannerisms. Until now, I've had to imagine you as M*A*S*H's Winchester (RIP).

The accent comes and goes, but the light to medium condescension is there for life :lol:
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10703
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: East TN
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 05 Mar 2018, 04:40

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:
condude1 wrote:3) Video chat shouldn't be necessary. Voice should be enough, and video chatting with 8 people at once seems weird. The only video chat I've used is FB (to talk to my GF) - for gaming it's always Discord/Hangouts voice chat. Video chat for live mafia adds an extra element of body language as well.

Valid point on the body language. Has anyone actually ever done Mafia via internet voice chat? The only live games I've played before were in-person and much more a party game than anything where we really tried to analyze behavior.

...why is this a bad thing? Wouldn't that be kinda part of the point?

It would make it more like the in-person party game version.

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
condude1 wrote:
I ran that as the first game I ever GMed!

I am really glad I never had to play with Crunkus.

I've heard stories that make me echo this sentiment.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
User avatar
kimpossible
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 20:54
Location: Arlington, VA
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Nanook » 05 Mar 2018, 04:43

kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:Valid point on the body language. Has anyone actually ever done Mafia via internet voice chat? The only live games I've played before were in-person and much more a party game than anything where we really tried to analyze behavior.

...why is this a bad thing? Wouldn't that be kinda part of the point?

It would make it more like the in-person party game version.

Which is a bad thing because...? For a one-off or special occasion game, I don't see that as a bad thing--if it's every game, yeah, not fantastic, but if it's a one-off game between normal games here that is more for fun than for seriousness, as long as it's clear going in, that's fine :)

kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:
condude1 wrote:
I ran that as the first game I ever GMed!

I am really glad I never had to play with Crunkus.

I've heard stories that make me echo this sentiment.

I played a Diplomacy game with him one time, which was...interesting.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10703
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: East TN
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 05 Mar 2018, 04:46

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:It would make it more like the in-person party game version.

Which is a bad thing because...? For a one-off or special occasion game, I don't see that as a bad thing--if it's every game, yeah, not fantastic, but if it's a one-off game between normal games here that is more for fun than for seriousness, as long as it's clear going in, that's fine :)

I actually meant it wasn't a bad thing!
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
User avatar
kimpossible
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 20:54
Location: Arlington, VA
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Nanook » 05 Mar 2018, 04:51

kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:Which is a bad thing because...? For a one-off or special occasion game, I don't see that as a bad thing--if it's every game, yeah, not fantastic, but if it's a one-off game between normal games here that is more for fun than for seriousness, as long as it's clear going in, that's fine :)

I actually meant it wasn't a bad thing!

Oh! Ok, I got ya then. The way I look at it is...live mafia probably isn't going to be as "puzzle-oriented" as normal mafia with the shorter amount of time...so why not have some fun with it sometimes and make it full party-style with video once in awhile.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10703
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: East TN
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Parabellum » 05 Mar 2018, 04:58

If it's a party there better be bagel bites or wings or something.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
User avatar
Parabellum
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: 25 May 2017, 18:46
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 969
All-game rating: 956
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Nanook » 05 Mar 2018, 04:58

Parabellum wrote:If it's a party there better be bagel bites or wings or something.

BYOB--Bring Your Own Bagel.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10703
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: East TN
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 05 Mar 2018, 04:59

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:Which is a bad thing because...? For a one-off or special occasion game, I don't see that as a bad thing--if it's every game, yeah, not fantastic, but if it's a one-off game between normal games here that is more for fun than for seriousness, as long as it's clear going in, that's fine :)

I actually meant it wasn't a bad thing!

Oh! Ok, I got ya then. The way I look at it is...live mafia probably isn't going to be as "puzzle-oriented" as normal mafia with the shorter amount of time...so why not have some fun with it sometimes and make it full party-style with video once in awhile.

I would be game for it at some point if enough other people were interested. It would certainly be kinda interesting to put faces and voices to screen names.

PPE: Do pizza rolls count? Because I totally didn't had pizza rolls for dinner.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
User avatar
kimpossible
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 20:54
Location: Arlington, VA
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Nanook » 05 Mar 2018, 05:00

kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:I actually meant it wasn't a bad thing!

Oh! Ok, I got ya then. The way I look at it is...live mafia probably isn't going to be as "puzzle-oriented" as normal mafia with the shorter amount of time...so why not have some fun with it sometimes and make it full party-style with video once in awhile.

I would be game for it at some point if enough other people were interested. It would certainly be kinda interesting to put faces and voices to screen names.

PPE: Do Pizza Rolls count? Because I totally didn't had pizza rolls for dinner.

Pizza rolls definitely count.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10703
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: East TN
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to Live Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests