2018 Live Mafia

Does what it says on the tin.

Moderators: Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Nanook » 05 Mar 2018, 03:45

kimbyrle wrote:
UpsideDownChuck wrote:We should play with video chat so I can see what you goobers look like and how it matches my perception.

That seems like it would devolve into shouting reeeeeeally quickly.

It would take us at least 3 minutes. Probably.

But seriously...I think we're probably reasonably civil enough that we'd be able to manage it if we wanted to give this a go sometime. Which I am all in favor of because I think it'd be fun/funny.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby kimpossible » 05 Mar 2018, 03:59

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:
UpsideDownChuck wrote:We should play with video chat so I can see what you goobers look like and how it matches my perception.

That seems like it would devolve into shouting reeeeeeally quickly.

But seriously...I think we're probably reasonably civil enough that we'd be able to manage it if we wanted to give this a go sometime. Which I am all in favor of because I think it'd be fun/funny.

I'm not opposed in principle, actually! But it seems like the execution could get complicated.

1) Wolves would need separate chat for night phase, probably? Some kind of PM system.
2) In which case, we'd need to turn off cameras during night phases, otherwise it becomes suuuuper obvious who's busy typing to each other!
3) I don't know how to do video chats anywhere besides Google Hangouts. Are there other ways?
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Nanook » 05 Mar 2018, 04:04

kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:That seems like it would devolve into shouting reeeeeeally quickly.

I'm not opposed in principle, actually! But it seems like the execution could get complicated.

1) Wolves would need separate chat for night phase, probably? Some kind of PM system.
2) In which case, we'd need to turn off cameras during night phases, otherwise it becomes suuuuper obvious who's busy typing to each other!
3) I don't know how to do video chats anywhere besides Google Hangouts. Are there other ways?

1. Probably, unless the wolves didn't know who each other were (more chaos!)
2. Yeah, probably everyone except the GM turns their cameras off.
3. Google hangouts...Skype...Discord, I think, maybe? But I'm not sure about that one. Hangouts and skype are the main ones that I know of though. Probably Hangouts is easier, I'm guessing more people have a gmail than have a skype, but I could be wrong.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby condude1 » 05 Mar 2018, 04:19

kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:That seems like it would devolve into shouting reeeeeeally quickly.

1) PMs would have to be used in whatever program we chose. Otherwise two people ducking out of voice chat for a few minutes every night miiiiight get slightly suspicious.
2)Bingo.
3) Video chat shouldn't be necessary. Voice should be enough, and video chatting with 8 people at once seems weird. The only video chat I've used is FB (to talk to my GF) - for gaming it's always Discord/Hangouts voice chat. Video chat for live mafia adds an extra element of body language as well.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby condude1 » 05 Mar 2018, 04:20

nanooktheeskimo wrote:1. Probably, unless the wolves didn't know who each other were (more chaos!)

I ran that as the first game I ever GMed!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Nanook » 05 Mar 2018, 04:24

condude1 wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:It would take us at least 3 minutes. Probably.

1) PMs would have to be used in whatever program we chose. Otherwise two people ducking out of voice chat for a few minutes every night miiiiight get slightly suspicious.
2)Bingo.
3) Video chat shouldn't be necessary. Voice should be enough, and video chatting with 8 people at once seems weird. The only video chat I've used is FB (to talk to my GF) - for gaming it's always Discord/Hangouts voice chat. Video chat for live mafia adds an extra element of body language as well.

1. Agreed.
3. Necessary, no...and probably not for every game...but as a one off or occasional thing? I think that would be fun in a chaotic and slightly crazy kinda way. I'm not saying let's do it every live game...but one here and there I think would be fun. (and yeah, FB might be an option too, though I'm not sure if it has the ability for 3+ person calls)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby kimpossible » 05 Mar 2018, 04:26

condude1 wrote:3) Video chat shouldn't be necessary. Voice should be enough, and video chatting with 8 people at once seems weird. The only video chat I've used is FB (to talk to my GF) - for gaming it's always Discord/Hangouts voice chat. Video chat for live mafia adds an extra element of body language as well.

Valid point on the body language. Has anyone actually ever done Mafia via internet voice chat? The only live games I've played before were in-person and much more a party game than anything where we really tried to analyze behavior.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Parabellum » 05 Mar 2018, 04:29

I'd be interested, assuming I could make the time when we got it scheduled. FWIW, I'd rather do voice chat than video, as I agree with Condude that it seems weird to videochat with that many people. However, I'd be willing to play either way.

Edit: On second thought, we have extremely slow internet... like, I can barely load youtube videos. So I'm not sure if I have enough bandwidth to do video chat. I could give it a shot, but couldn't guarantee that it would work. Better chances with voice only.
Last edited by Parabellum on 05 Mar 2018, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Standard rating: 990
All-game rating: 978

Postby Nanook » 05 Mar 2018, 04:29

kimbyrle wrote:
condude1 wrote:3) Video chat shouldn't be necessary. Voice should be enough, and video chatting with 8 people at once seems weird. The only video chat I've used is FB (to talk to my GF) - for gaming it's always Discord/Hangouts voice chat. Video chat for live mafia adds an extra element of body language as well.

Valid point on the body language. Has anyone actually ever done Mafia via internet voice chat? The only live games I've played before were in-person and much more a party game than anything where we really tried to analyze behavior.

...why is this a bad thing? Wouldn't that be kinda part of the point?

condude1 wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:1. Probably, unless the wolves didn't know who each other were (more chaos!)

I ran that as the first game I ever GMed!

I am really glad I never had to play with Crunkus.

I think Fable 9 had a similar mechanic where the scum didn't know who each other were, but I'm not positive.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Nanook » 05 Mar 2018, 04:31

I mean obviously not every live game would be played over video chat...but as a novelty sort of thing, a one-off or only occasional, I think it'd be fun.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

PreviousNext

Return to Live Games