Multiple Crime Families

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby RedSun » 10 Dec 2017, 17:58

I have a suggestion:

11 players with 4 scum
7 townies
2 red scum
2 blue scum

The red and blue scum know who are in the rival crime organization but they can't kill each other.

They want to influence the town to NK the other crime organization. When one crime organization is wiped out then the one alive unlocks an NK ability which neither organization has at the beginning.

Would this work?

No NK prevents a mass slaughter of townies and the crime organizations need to push for the other organizations death without revealing that they know who the other team is because then they reveal themselves as a crime group.

If we had more than 11 players we'd just add townies
Groups:
The Holy State of Asteria in CYOC
RedSun
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: 10 Jun 2017, 00:21
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby condude1 » 13 Dec 2017, 06:42

RedSun wrote:I have a suggestion:

11 players with 4 scum
7 townies
2 red scum
2 blue scum

The red and blue scum know who are in the rival crime organization but they can't kill each other.

They want to influence the town to NK the other crime organization. When one crime organization is wiped out then the one alive unlocks an NK ability which neither organization has at the beginning.

Would this work?

No NK prevents a mass slaughter of townies and the crime organizations need to push for the other organizations death without revealing that they know who the other team is because then they reveal themselves as a crime group.

If we had more than 11 players we'd just add townies


This opens up a whole can of worms with the game being spoiled though. Say I'm the last one in my faction, and about to be lynched. I just reveal that I'm the last red mafioso, and start bargaining for my life in exchange for outting the blue mafiosi.

There could be a rule that they can't reveal, but I hate gag orders like that, and personally would never run that, just because it's too hard to enforce.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.


Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
User avatar
condude1
 
Posts: 7157
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 03:41
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby RedSun » 14 Dec 2017, 01:20

condude1 wrote:
RedSun wrote:I have a suggestion:

11 players with 4 scum
7 townies
2 red scum
2 blue scum

The red and blue scum know who are in the rival crime organization but they can't kill each other.

They want to influence the town to NK the other crime organization. When one crime organization is wiped out then the one alive unlocks an NK ability which neither organization has at the beginning.

Would this work?

No NK prevents a mass slaughter of townies and the crime organizations need to push for the other organizations death without revealing that they know who the other team is because then they reveal themselves as a crime group.

If we had more than 11 players we'd just add townies


This opens up a whole can of worms with the game being spoiled though. Say I'm the last one in my faction, and about to be lynched. I just reveal that I'm the last red mafioso, and start bargaining for my life in exchange for outting the blue mafiosi.

There could be a rule that they can't reveal, but I hate gag orders like that, and personally would never run that, just because it's too hard to enforce.


If there were 3 teams Town, Red and Blue and only 1 team could win that means Town can't spare the lives of any mafia so bargaining for your life wouldn't work.
Also in the case of no town being left and both mafia teams are alive with the same number of players (if 1 team has 2 and the other 1 then the 2 person team wins) then it's a 3 way loss as draws will be prohibited.
That'll incentivize the mafia to try to push the town to execute the other mafia team instead of just staying alive.

Any other can of worms you can point out I should look into?
Groups:
The Holy State of Asteria in CYOC
RedSun
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: 10 Jun 2017, 00:21
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby mhsmith0 » 14 Dec 2017, 01:54

There's a substantial risk of kingmaking in that setup since wolves know each other.

There's also a substantial risk of town losing due to night kills almost alone...

7/2/2
redscum lynch -> 7/1/2
two townies are shot -> 5/1/2

bluescum lynch -> 7/1/1
two townies are shot -> 3/1/1

redscum lynch -> 3/0/1
townie shot -> 2/0/1 -> 3 man lylo

So town can just BARELY guarantee a win given perfect lynching, which seems kind of mechanically rough.

So basically you have the anti-wolf ability to throw the game to the town because you need other faction dead
And you have the anti-town numbers distribution

idk, I don't really think that setup really works that well *shrugs*
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
User avatar
mhsmith0
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3593
Joined: 11 Dec 2015, 06:55
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby Parabellum » 14 Dec 2017, 01:54

RedSun wrote:
condude1 wrote:
RedSun wrote:I have a suggestion:

11 players with 4 scum
7 townies
2 red scum
2 blue scum

The red and blue scum know who are in the rival crime organization but they can't kill each other.

They want to influence the town to NK the other crime organization. When one crime organization is wiped out then the one alive unlocks an NK ability which neither organization has at the beginning.

Would this work?

No NK prevents a mass slaughter of townies and the crime organizations need to push for the other organizations death without revealing that they know who the other team is because then they reveal themselves as a crime group.

If we had more than 11 players we'd just add townies


This opens up a whole can of worms with the game being spoiled though. Say I'm the last one in my faction, and about to be lynched. I just reveal that I'm the last red mafioso, and start bargaining for my life in exchange for outting the blue mafiosi.

There could be a rule that they can't reveal, but I hate gag orders like that, and personally would never run that, just because it's too hard to enforce.


If there were 3 teams Town, Red and Blue and only 1 team could win that means Town can't spare the lives of any mafia so bargaining for your life wouldn't work.
Also in the case of no town being left and both mafia teams are alive with the same number of players (if 1 team has 2 and the other 1 then the 2 person team wins) then it's a 3 way loss as draws will be prohibited.
That'll incentivize the mafia to try to push the town to execute the other mafia team instead of just staying alive.

Any other can of worms you can point out I should look into?


Yeah, Condude, how does that bargain work? It would just hand the game to town, it wouldn't help the last remaining team member win. I don't really see how that breaks the game, it just seems like kingmaking. Just part of the game.

?
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
User avatar
Parabellum
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: 25 May 2017, 18:46
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (969)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby Parabellum » 14 Dec 2017, 01:55

mhsmith0 wrote:There's a substantial risk of kingmaking in that setup since wolves know each other.

There's also a substantial risk of town losing due to night kills almost alone...

7/2/2
redscum lynch -> 7/1/2
two townies are shot -> 5/1/2

bluescum lynch -> 7/1/1
two townies are shot -> 3/1/1

redscum lynch -> 3/0/1
townie shot -> 2/0/1 -> 3 man lylo

So town can just BARELY guarantee a win given perfect lynching, which seems kind of mechanically rough.

So basically you have the anti-wolf ability to throw the game to the town because you need other faction dead
And you have the anti-town numbers distribution

idk, I don't really think that setup really works that well *shrugs*


Part of Red's idea was that there is no night-kill until one of the families is eliminated.

What if the mafiosi don't know who's on the other team?
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
User avatar
Parabellum
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: 25 May 2017, 18:46
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (969)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby mhsmith0 » 14 Dec 2017, 01:57

I'll note, as a point of comparison, that fire and ice mafia (or positive/negative, effectively the same thing) on MS is ballpark balanced:

9/2/2
8 vanilla townies
1 doctor

2 fire mafia
2 ice mafia

if fire and ice mafia target same slot, then there is no kill

I suspect that outside MS you can probably nerf town a bit to hit proper balance, but you can make a pretty decently balanced setup like that where you have reasonable risk of cross-kills (one of the inherently anti-swing aspect of multiball, as scum factions are somewhat incentivized to shoot at the faction that's winning), as well as a setup that still guarantees that perfect lynching always = town win, and usually with some amount of room to spare.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
User avatar
mhsmith0
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3593
Joined: 11 Dec 2015, 06:55
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby RedSun » 14 Dec 2017, 01:58

mhsmith0 wrote:There's a substantial risk of kingmaking in that setup since wolves know each other.

There's also a substantial risk of town losing due to night kills almost alone...

7/2/2
redscum lynch -> 7/1/2
two townies are shot -> 5/1/2

bluescum lynch -> 7/1/1
two townies are shot -> 3/1/1

redscum lynch -> 3/0/1
townie shot -> 2/0/1 -> 3 man lylo

So town can just BARELY guarantee a win given perfect lynching, which seems kind of mechanically rough.

So basically you have the anti-wolf ability to throw the game to the town because you need other faction dead
And you have the anti-town numbers distribution

idk, I don't really think that setup really works that well *shrugs*


I realized that, thats why I said there is no NK until one scum team is eliminated.
That puts more power in the town's hands.
Groups:
The Holy State of Asteria in CYOC
RedSun
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: 10 Jun 2017, 00:21
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby mhsmith0 » 14 Dec 2017, 02:02

Ok I'd missed that. That might almost make it too tiwnsided as you're guaranteed first night skipped and almost always skip at least night 2
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
User avatar
mhsmith0
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3593
Joined: 11 Dec 2015, 06:55
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby RedSun » 14 Dec 2017, 02:05

Parabellum wrote:
mhsmith0 wrote:There's a substantial risk of kingmaking in that setup since wolves know each other.

There's also a substantial risk of town losing due to night kills almost alone...

7/2/2
redscum lynch -> 7/1/2
two townies are shot -> 5/1/2

bluescum lynch -> 7/1/1
two townies are shot -> 3/1/1

redscum lynch -> 3/0/1
townie shot -> 2/0/1 -> 3 man lylo

So town can just BARELY guarantee a win given perfect lynching, which seems kind of mechanically rough.

So basically you have the anti-wolf ability to throw the game to the town because you need other faction dead
And you have the anti-town numbers distribution

idk, I don't really think that setup really works that well *shrugs*


Part of Red's idea was that there is no night-kill until one of the families is eliminated.

What if the mafiosi don't know who's on the other team?


Maybe I could have it so both scum teams have a leader and a follower. The leader can investigate one other player each night to find out if they are opposing scum or town. If the leader dies the follower assumes his position. This prevents a scum team to reveal one member and out both of their enemies as they won't have all the info at the beginning
Groups:
The Holy State of Asteria in CYOC
RedSun
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: 10 Jun 2017, 00:21
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests