Multiple Crime Families

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Multiple Crime Families

Postby Parabellum » 09 Dec 2017, 05:40

The Mafia Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)#cite_ref-79 references a variant wherein there are multiple crime families with separate victory conditions. Has anyone played a game like that? It sounds awesome!
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (969)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby shadowface » 09 Dec 2017, 10:50

Parabellum wrote:The Mafia Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)#cite_ref-79 references a variant wherein there are multiple crime families with separate victory conditions. Has anyone played a game like that? It sounds awesome!

:evil: Can we not go there?

I played a game like this, not here, but it was the most brutally unbalanced game I've played in my life. 4 town : 4 scum A : 4 scum B. No one, not even the scum, knew that there were 2 factions of scum, though. I was an innocent townie, and Day 1 I led a lynch on scum. Day 2 I led a lynch on scum. By this point I felt great and I thought I'd have the game practically won, but the next day the game was called because one scumteam had control. Basically instead of fighting each other, the scum had just killed the townies and the townies had accidentally killed one scumteam off instead of somehow knowing to spread it around :P

This was one of the only times I've actually been moderately pissed off after a game, because I was totally powerless as town and could have done nothing to win. Weird game - I'm sure this kind of game could be run properly but my experience with this hasn't been great so far. I think you'd have to incentivize the scumteams to kill each other, or at least tell them that they've got a rival!
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Strategus » 09 Dec 2017, 11:03

Sounds like that was just the way that game was designed. The overall principle sounds fun, if the GM can balance the game.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1692
Timezone: GMT

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 09 Dec 2017, 11:41

Sounds like there were way too many scum in that game in comparison to the number of town.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pootleflump » 09 Dec 2017, 13:28

We bought 'Ultimate Werewolf'' last Christmas. I think it's an evolution of Mafia. So much fun. We played it for days. It's easy, quick to play and there's a narrator app you can download as the gamesmaster which allows everyone to take part. It's better with more players, ideally 5 or more.

I'm on the look out for this year's boardgame, if anyone has any recommendations...... Terraforming Mars was also last year's purchase....

For other 'social interaction' games, Pandemic is fun (1hour-ish to play). So is Robinson Cruse, Adventures on Cursed Island (2-hours-ish).

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!! :D

PF (aka Board-Game-Geek)
But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1823
All-game rating: 1898

Postby Pootleflump » 09 Dec 2017, 13:45

But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1823
All-game rating: 1898

Postby mhsmith0 » 09 Dec 2017, 19:13

lol multiball
That is all
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby shadowface » 09 Dec 2017, 21:58

GPD wrote:Sounds like that was just the way that game was designed. The overall principle sounds fun, if the GM can balance the game.

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Sounds like there were way too many scum in that game in comparison to the number of town.

Agreed and agreed. That's what I get for hastily signing up for an 'experimental' game run by a new GM :D I think 2:2:8 might have been closer to balanced. And reveal the ratios before the game so the scum are trying to find each other - if the scum genuinely believe that someone is scum they might want to nightkill them. So then the scum are actually scumhunting, so they look less like scum, so it's going to be a really tough game to crack. That could be quite fun actually.

shadowface

Postby shadowface » 09 Dec 2017, 22:14

Pootleflump wrote:We bought 'Ultimate Werewolf'' last Christmas. I think it's an evolution of Mafia. So much fun. We played it for days. It's easy, quick to play and there's a narrator app you can download as the gamesmaster which allows everyone to take part. It's better with more players, ideally 5 or more.

I'm on the look out for this year's boardgame, if anyone has any recommendations...... Terraforming Mars was also last year's purchase....

For other 'social interaction' games, Pandemic is fun (1hour-ish to play). So is Robinson Cruse, Adventures on Cursed Island (2-hours-ish).

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!! :D

PF (aka Board-Game-Geek)

We play our own version of Spyfall sometimes, which is pretty fun. We don't have the actual game, but we just have one of the players come up with the setting by finding a picture of something online during a night phase. Choosing the place is actually everyone's favorite role.

You should try a forum game of Mafia with us here if you're into these games :)

shadowface

Postby condude1 » 09 Dec 2017, 23:54

I'm a fan of third party roles - very powerful lone wolves with unique VCs. Second scumteams add a whole world of hurt for balancing though.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)

Next

Return to Mafia