Interest in a Long Game [Non-classicists Game Started]

An informal group of proven reliable players attempting to avoid games spoiled by missed orders.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille, Fatmo

Interest in a Long Game [Non-classicists Game Started]

Postby mem101 » 19 Jul 2017, 14:44

I recently set up a game with standard rules and map with 7/2/2 deadlines and advertised in the forum. Game 132699.

Are there any classicists who might be interested in a game with long deadlines? Would there be more interest here if I made it a classicists' game?
Last edited by mem101 on 30 Jul 2017, 22:28, edited 2 times in total.
Silver member of The Classicists.
mem101

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1603)
All-game rating: (1623)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Interest in a Long Game

Postby The SHIV » 19 Jul 2017, 17:00

Why so unbearably long?

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1116
All-game rating: 1156
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Eleusinian » 19 Jul 2017, 17:23

I'm already in a long game (even longer! 7/7/7), or I'd join. It's actually quite nice. Sometimes I'm tired and don't even pay attention to the game for a day or two, and there's still plenty of time to communicate.
Eleusinian

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (984)
All-game rating: (981)

Postby mem101 » 19 Jul 2017, 17:56

The SHIV wrote:Why so unbearably long?

The SHIV

Mainly because my free time comes at a premium these days. I need to know that if I can't log in for a few days it won't be a major problem. If there was more interest in a 5/2/2 I might consider it.
mem101

Postby WHSeward » 19 Jul 2017, 20:55

I'm not looking to add a game right now, but I'd make a pitch for 5/1/1 no weekends. (I think those were the deadlines we played each under, weren't they Mem?) That ends up being one turn a week, orders executed on Mondays, which is a real nice pace and always gives you the weekend for orders. My two cents.

Oh, and anyone that wants to learn something about Diplomacy should get in a game with Mem. He is the best.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby mem101 » 19 Jul 2017, 21:11

WHSeward wrote:I'm not looking to add a game right now, but I'd make a pitch for 5/1/1 no weekends. (I think those were the deadlines we played each under, weren't they Mem?) That ends up being one turn a week, orders executed on Mondays, which is a real nice pace and always gives you the weekend for orders. My two cents.

Oh, and anyone that wants to learn something about Diplomacy should get in a game with Mem. He is the best.

Not quite the best... I seem to remember you soloing in both our games!

Speaking of which, I notice you never got around to finishing the AAR on the Florida Challenge game, which is a shame. I read through it the other day. It was a great game, but the answers to many of the questions you put forward about what was happening in the west are now lost! I don't remember everything that happened and the messages are no longer available.

5/1/1 no weekends would work for me, if there's a preference for that.
mem101

Postby WHSeward » 19 Jul 2017, 21:33

I hit my own bit of Dip burn out coupled with the work running PDET and everything sort of fell apart. I do have some AARs written up somewhere on my hard drive. I have to go dig them out and finish them.

Florida Challenge was a simply awesome game because of the quality of the players. And if I recall correctly, I named you that game's MVP. Watching you work your magic in the west was just a marvel.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby secondsecretary » 23 Jul 2017, 19:20

I'd join a 5/1/1 game.
secondsecretary
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1392
All-game rating: 1419
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby DirtyHarry » 24 Jul 2017, 02:39

I would join the game if you need players.
DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1368
All-game rating: 1388
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mem101 » 24 Jul 2017, 08:34

The game I referenced in the OP has a full compliment and is confirming. If and when I start another or if we need a replacement, I will PM DirtyHarry and secondsecretary. Thanks all.
mem101

Next

Return to Classicists