The Versailles Tournament Rules & Sign-ups

TD: sinnybee; Assistant TD: mr bump

Moderator: sinnybee

The Versailles Tournament Rules & Sign-ups

Postby sinnybee » 13 Feb 2014, 02:03

I am pleased to announce the Versailles Tournament which I am directing.
More players than any other tournament in the over six year history of playdiplomacy.com!

Interested in taking a peek on how the tournament games are going? Look here.

The PlayDip Versailles Tournament sub-forum thread listing

As reference: Versailles rules

Tournament game settings
  • The Versailles Tournament will consist of only PureDip games, since in my opinion, the awesome major/minor powers concept of Versailles is already unique enough without adding other variants to the game.
  • For all tournament games, players will be randomly assigned a major power that they have not previously been assigned in the tournament.
    Minor powers are always distributed randomly, meaning that some players will get a minor power in more than one tournament game.
  • All tournament games will not use the DIAS setting, as I believe fits in well with the scoring system (explained at the bottom of this post), and as this setting is more accommodating in concluding games that are ready to finish, in my opinion.
  • All tournament games will have the finalize option.
  • All tournament games will be rated games, as the main reason to desire norank tournament games in the past is no longer around (players not being rewarded enough for playing against highly ranked players), and more importantly, because that was the PM setting preferences voting result.
  • All tournament games will not have 1st turn NMR protection (which would have only been enabled in Phase 1 games, but was voted down here).
Any spot that is vacated by surrender or withdrawal from the tournament, I will immediately try to get filled by a reserve or a volunteer who meets my terms of recent lack of ranked surrenders.

I plan on seeding players based on their PureDip rating (Site rating used as a tie-breaker) at the time the tournament starts. The reason for this is that I don't want to risk the chance of having players who may be better or more experienced play against each other in the Phase 1 games, resulting in some of them being cut to not play in Phase 2 Semifinals because of being up against what might be better competition.

This tournament started with 77 competitors.

Phase 1/Qualifiers
All 77 players play in 2 simultaneous games:

Game A (11 games times 7 players each)
Players are playing against those who have previously started the same or about the same amount of new on-site Versailles games (at least for the 67 who were sorted this way and who also joined their Game A with-in ~48 hours). Secondary sorting has players not play against those they are playing against in their Game B and also attempts games to have as close as possible to the same sum of PureDip rating of the 7 players.

For example, if there are 10 players who have not yet started a Versailles site game by the start of the tournament, 7 of them will likely play in the same game, and 3 will likely play in another game along with 4 who have started one Versailles site game prior to the start of the tournament. The 10 players (along with all others) will also be sorted in such a way to minimize the difference in the PureDip rating sum of the 7 players (in other words, each game will be of approximately the same caliber or of approximately the same level of competition difficulty).

Game B (11 games times 7 players each)
Players will play against players of their same deadline preference while also attempting to have players play against as few as possible player(s) that they're playing against in Game A. Secondary sorting will attempt to have each game with as close as possible to the same sum of PureDip rating of the 7 players.
We had a median vote of 5 days desired between Game A and Game B. However, as already stated, I will try to allow for extra time between games for at least some of those who want it.
One Game B (2/2/2) started before all other games (including all ten or eleven 2/1/1 Game A games).

When I checked in early February, the four most popular deadline settings for Versailles games were:
8 Versailles games with 2/1/1 deadlines,
22 Versailles games with 1/1/1 deadlines,
7 Versailles games with 24/12/12 deadlines,
and 9 Versailles games with 12/12/12 deadlines.

(2 Versailles games with 2/2/2 deadlines,
0 Versailles games with 3/1/1 deadlines,
and 0 Versailles games with 3/2/2 deadlines.)

With that in mind, I chose 2/1/1 deadlines for Game A games, on the high end, since players will be playing 2 simultaneous games. Most players also chose 2/1/1 deadlines for Game B.

We had 8 votes for Normal Phase 1 games, 11 votes for Anonymous Countries Phase 1 games, and 19 votes for Anonymous Players Phase 1 games. Even though I'd rather go with one of the first two options, to allow me an easier time keeping an eye on what's going on, and to allow spectators the same, the vote was be honored, with all Phase 1 games being Anonymous Players.

:arrow: When all but one of the Phase 1 games are complete (21 of 22), I will immediately score the remaining game as a DIAS draw along with scoring the current supply center ownership and prepare the set-up of the Phase 2 games. When I'm done preparing the set-up of the Phase 2 games, I will check to see if the remaining game is 1) in Fall orders or Fall retreats AND 2) has a possibility of being about to change who makes it into Phase 2. If conditions 1) & 2) are met, I'll wait until Fall orders are resolved (or after Fall retreats, if qualification can change). If both 1) & 2) are not met, or after waiting, I will re-score the last game if the score has changed, and we will then proceed to Phase 2.
However, the last Phase 1 game will still continue, even if it overlaps into Phase 2. The final results of the last Phase 1 game will be used in the Site and PureDip rating adjustments and also later for the qualification calculation from Phase 2 into Phase 3.

After all Phase 1 games are complete (2 games per player), the 28 highest scoring players (with Game A and Game B equally contributing to player scores, as explained at the bottom of this post) advance to:

Phase 2/Semifinals
All 28 players play in 2 simultaneous games:
(4 games times 7 players each for Game C, and the same for Game D) The 28 qualifying players will be sorted into the 4 Game C games and the 4 Game D games first by an effort to have players play against as few as possible players that they've already played against in earlier tournament games or that they will already be playing against in their other Phase 2 game. Secondary sorting will be by tournament seeding (keeping each game with about the same mean tournament results). So, if we have a 56 player tournament and 8 of the 16 Phase 1 games end in a solo, with no one getting two of the solos, then we'd likely end up with each Phase 2 game having two tournament soloing players each.
These games will probably also have 2/1/1 deadlines.

When all but one of the Phase 2 games are complete (7 of 8), I will check to see if the remaining game has a possibility of being about to change who makes it into the final game during the current year. If so, I'll wait until Fall orders are resolved (or after Fall retreats, if qualification can change). If not, or after waiting, I will then score the remaining game as a DIAS draw along with scoring the current supply center ownership and we will then proceed to the final game.
However, the last Phase 2 game will still continue, even if it overlaps into the final game. The final results of the last Phase 2 game will be used in the Site and PureDip rating adjustments and also later for the final standing calculation after the final game is over.

After Phase 2 games are complete (2 game per player), the 7 highest scoring players advance to:

Phase 3/Final
(1 game times 7 players each) This game will probably also have 2/1/1 deadlines (though I will ask the 7 what they want).

If the final game ends in a solo victory, that solo victor wins the tournament (since a majority of the final standing sorting of the 7 players depends on the final game). If the final game ends in a draw, then the winner of the tournament will be the player with the highest score (with Game C counting as 15%, Game D also counting as 15%, and the Final contributing 70% to the final standing, if this ends up being a 56 player tournament, as explained below).

Tournament scoring
(an alteration of the Mille System, supplemented by end-game supply center count)
Solo = 110 points
2-way draw = (100 pts); 50 pts each
3-way draw = (90 pts); 30 pts each
4-way draw = (80 pts); 20 pts each
5-way draw = (70 pts); 14 pts each
6-way draw = (60 pts); 10 pts each
7-way draw = (49 pts); 7 pts each
+
End-game supply center count = 43 pts; 1 pt each

Tie-breakers
1) Whoever has more solo/draw points (meaning less supply center points) will be given the advantage.
2) If still a tie, the advantage will be given to whoever would score more under Mean Tournament Scoring / MTS.
In other words, the advantage will be given to the player who has played major powers who have done relatively poorly in the tournament.
So, if just one of the tied players has played major powers that have never soloed in the tournament, they will probably end up with the advantage.

Explanation of the table below (I haven't had a chance to adjust this explanation for the higher number of players participating).
An Amount of Half Eliminating (AoHE) of 1 means that half of the tournament players are eliminated. As you can see below, this would occur if we end up with a 56 player tournament when qualifying 4*7=28 of the 8*7=56 players from Phase 1 to Phase 2.
With a 63 player tournament, there is an AoHE of 1.125 between Phases 1 and 2, since we would be eliminating a greater percentage of players--63 / (2*1.125) = 28.
Between Phases 2 and 3, there is an AoHE of 2, since the players will be halved twice--28 / (2*2) = 7.
In my opinion, coming up with final standings from a final board of 7 players is about 20% more significant than eliminating half of the players, thus my indication of 1.2 AoHE.
Total AoHE is split equally among all five tournament games.
For example, for a 56 player tournament, Game A accounts for 50% of the determination of who gets into Phase 2. 50% * 1 AoHE = 0.5. For Game A to fulfill its full share of 0.84 AoHE, there is 0.84-0.5=0.34 left. 0.34 / 2 AoHE = 17%. Therefore, Game A contributes 17% of the determination of qualifying players into Phase 3 / the Final Game.

Example
Therefore, if a player named ilikeversailles takes part in a 3-way draw in Game A with a final SC count of 4, they would be awarded 34 pts (30+4).
If ilikeversailles then takes part in a 4-way draw in Game B with a final SC count of 12, they would be awarded 32 pts (20+12).
(34 * 50%) + (32 * 50%) = 33. The post Phase 1 score of ilikeversailles is 33. If 33 is good enough for 28th place of better (it may or may not be), then ilikeversailles will qualify for Phase 2 / Semifinals, to play in Game C and Game D.
If ilikeversailles survives / is not eliminated in Game C but accepts a draw that does not include them (players are never required to accept a draw) and ends up with 2 supply centers, they will receive a score of 2 points for the game.
If ilikeversailles is eliminated in Game D, they will receive 0 points for the game.
If this is a 56 player tournament, we'll now look at the next line of that section.
(34 * 17%) + (32 * 17%) + (2 * 33%) + (0 * 33%) = 11.88. 11.88 will not be a high enough score to get into Phase 3 / the final game, but it's all good, because ilikeversailles likes the Versailles variant and enjoyed playing in the tournament :D.

Please post if you're interested in playing. I'm still taking sign-ups or at least reserves if this ends up being a 70 player tournament.
I do reserve myself the right to let into the tournament whomever I will.

(This post was last edited on 29 June.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sinnybee on 30 Jun 2014, 03:54, edited 13 times in total.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: The Versailles Tournament

Postby sinnybee » 13 Feb 2014, 02:21

Players that have confirmed their participation in the tournament are shown in green font.

1. 14Amstamper
  2. alvin1912
  3. asudevil
  4. Bokkiwi
  5. BruceSurfcoast
  6. charliepayne007
  7. Cheeseman4780
  8. ColesD
  9. CrnaZemlja
  10. cxb1342
  11. DJDave1979
  12. eliwhitney
  13. entoz
  14. FDRjr
  15. GENPershing
  16. ggriou
  17. GhostEcho
  18. gislason
  19. glacier777
  20. jakofipa
  21. jimmygrimble
  22. Joll_Dizz
  23. JonathanSwaim
  24. jqz1212jc
  25. kdwyer796
  26. kickinitlegit
  27. kingswifty
  28. mambam14
  29. Maucat
  30. McGiles
  31. MikePole
  32. Mozzarella
  33. NamelessNate
  34. numberwang1
  35. Palin
  36. pelagius
  37. PriestProphetKing
  38. PurpleSector
  39. Qwerty365
  40. Ricechrisp
  41. Ricgraz
  42. SaltySailor
  43. SilverSpleen
  44. simblanco
  45. sisyphus216
  46. sjg11
  47. spudboy
  48. th14jkjoe
  49. Thorntonian Empire
  50. Thumpington
  51. tomspencer87
  52. tourdefeu1
  53. twcchurchill
  54. valent
  55. Wagner
  56. White_Wolf
  57. WhoRunTheWorld
  58. xavier77
  59. Xorg
    The 59 above players responded to the PM sent by myself on the 6th of March.

New additions:
  60. Posa
  61. Buachaille
  62. Tarakashka
  63. simoncarr
  64. YohanTM
  65. Antigonos
  66. drfaustus72
  67. poorfool
  68. mikecampbell1
  69. Major B
  70. Icarus

The current plan is that I will go down the list of six players below one at a time, sending the password to a Game A game in which not all 7 players assigned to the game have joined with-in ~48 hours, or in which not all 7 players confirmed, at which time it will be musical chairs of sorts for who gets into the game. Those who get into a Game A will have a Game B to join and those who don't get into a Game A will likely be moved to the top of the reserves list.
  71. Pb10gon
  72. deltanu148
  73. Sparrowhawk
  74. MisterBigBug
  75. AlmanMEin
  76. Stigits
  77. juangrisart
  78. Leo73
Most of the 78 above players have a terrific record of consistency, with a few having an acceptable record. I paid the most attention to the ranked game surrender rate.

In regards to the following list, these players will probably not be able to participate in the tournament unless needed as fillers.
If needed, I will likely take from the top.

1. tbuchman
  2. joe92
  3. Wumbo
  4. jkosiba123
  5. Clem756
  6. geo9788
  7. TheMalgewyn
  8. Philthy413
  9. siddersvc
  10. bigjoe2003
  11. cheesefaceman1
  12. LordErichIX
  13. WhiteCaneStabber
  14. Nail60
  15. Isaacmayo
Willing to fill a game if needed (or to be a reserve):
clindseysmith

Reserves:
  1. LordGumption will be available and possibly willing to reserve starting in early April.
  2. countdamoney
  3. diploguy
  4. Globetrotter
  5. VegaMan "as long as I'm not replacing mid game"
  6. Radical Pumpkin not available mid-May through early June
  7. solo1805 not available from 24 May to 7 June
  8. YoYoDyne will be on international travel some of April
(This post was lasted edited on 31 March.)
Last edited by sinnybee on 07 Mar 2014, 20:10, edited 23 times in total.
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Postby Thumpington » 13 Feb 2014, 02:40

Sign me up sinny!
Fortune Favours The Flexible.
Thumpington

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1650)
All-game rating: (1796)
Timezone: GMT

Postby JonathanSwaim » 13 Feb 2014, 02:54

I would be interested in joining the tournament circuit.
Apparently I'm a Classicist. Huh. That's fun I guess.
Prussia in Napoleonic: Empires and Coalitions -- Golly that was a long time ago.
JonathanSwaim
Premium Member

Standard rating: 976
All-game rating: 1169
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby norlight » 13 Feb 2014, 02:56

Please sign me in.
norlight

Standard rating: 2122
All-game rating: 2230
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Uffington Horse » 13 Feb 2014, 03:06

Sign me up please
Uffington Horse
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1056
All-game rating: 1342
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby valent » 13 Feb 2014, 03:07

Ha! Sign me up and spank me!
Trust breeds trust. Mistrust breeds mistrust.
valent

Standard rating: (1569)
All-game rating: (1673)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby sinnybee » 13 Feb 2014, 03:34

valent wrote:Ha! Sign me up and spank me!

ha...
okaaaaay...

*SPANK*

...kinda funny that you should mention that, when I was just thinking ahead about making a post tomorrow (games forum) ending with something like:
Not premium?
Hurry up and spank a premium membership onto your butt so that you can join The Versailles Tournament!
sinnybee

Postby GhostEcho » 13 Feb 2014, 03:56

I'd like to play. Maybe I should try a game of Versailles at all first!
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 957
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Justini12 » 13 Feb 2014, 04:07

I love the Versailles variant. It was the main reason I got premium membership. Sign me up!
Justini12

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (932)
All-game rating: (859)
Timezone: GMT-6

Next

Return to PlayDip Versailles Tournament