Bot?

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Re: Bot?

Postby WHSeward » 28 May 2013, 14:28

@Megan,

You may want to look at dipgame.org. That is a site built by AI researchers for testing bots against human players. I think they are trying something a bit beyond what you are describing, but they may have publications and other resources that are interesting/helpful to you.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Donclaus » 19 Jul 2013, 23:41

The program is usually only as strong as the programmer. I'm sure with enough time and/or programming friends that you will come up with an excellent program.
I don't know if I have a certain set of rules for gunboat. Would you actually get this to choose moves on the computer without you? I haven't seen that I can enter written moves for the game. Inputing moves will be the most difficult part.
Donclaus

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (998)
All-game rating: (1176)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Zack L1ghtman » 20 Jul 2013, 01:09

Donclaus wrote:The program is usually only as strong as the programmer. I'm sure with enough time and/or programming friends that you will come up with an excellent program.
I don't know if I have a certain set of rules for gunboat. Would you actually get this to choose moves on the computer without you? I haven't seen that I can enter written moves for the game. Inputing moves will be the most difficult part.

I believe Dipsy has got a drop-down box option for submitting orders in development which would make it a quadrillion times easier.

Penguin.
PlayDiplomacy Chrome Extension

Download NOW!

Or find out more.
Zack L1ghtman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (992)
All-game rating: (1062)
Timezone: GMT

Postby ajpaolello » 25 Aug 2013, 18:28

How do you make a bot?
ajpaolello

Standard rating: (786)
All-game rating: (786)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby VegaMan » 26 Aug 2013, 00:06

ajpaolello wrote:How do you make a bot?

You start by learning a programming language. Once you sufficiently learn a programming language you will automatically be able to figure out the rest.
"Nothing cheaper than something free"
VegaMan

Standard rating: (1212)
All-game rating: (1148)

Postby melty » 23 Nov 2013, 02:58

I personally would like to (and have started designing in my head) see a bot that solves diplomacy to Winter 2012, (because of the 2012 prediction, and no game will ever last that long). Then you could do different things to the AI to determine moves, (like # of Wins for Bot Country - # of Losses for Bot Country, pick the highest, or do the same thing, only weight it based on how often the move happens, ect) and get a good bot! Any ideas on what language this should be done in?
New to this game, but I read alot of strategy.

Generation 34 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)
melty

Standard rating: (955)
All-game rating: (957)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby sinnybee » 23 Nov 2013, 03:31

melty wrote:I personally would like to (and have started designing in my head) see a bot that solves diplomacy to Winter 2012, (because of the 2012 prediction, and no game will ever last that long). Then you could do different things to the AI to determine moves, (like # of Wins for Bot Country - # of Losses for Bot Country, pick the highest, or do the same thing, only weight it based on how often the move happens, ect) and get a good bot! Any ideas on what language this should be done in?

2012?
What difference does the year make?
After a year or two of game play, the board becomes fairly unique, meaning that the AI can't just rely on how the same game situation has been handled before.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 23 Nov 2013, 03:51

sinnybee wrote:
melty wrote:I personally would like to (and have started designing in my head) see a bot that solves diplomacy to Winter 2012, (because of the 2012 prediction, and no game will ever last that long). Then you could do different things to the AI to determine moves, (like # of Wins for Bot Country - # of Losses for Bot Country, pick the highest, or do the same thing, only weight it based on how often the move happens, ect) and get a good bot! Any ideas on what language this should be done in?

2012?
What difference does the year make?

In fairness to him, he clearly said his reason was because of that stupid-assed prediction in 2012.

However, there were 5 different dates predicted to be the end-of-the-world in 2012. May 27, June 20, and Dec 21, 23, and 31. So, based on those predictions in that single year, Winter does seem like the right phase to end in, as it contains the majority of the predicted end-of-all-things dates within that calendar year.

That said, it does seem rather daft to pick 2012 out of all the years of stupid-assed predictions about the end of the world. It's been happening since before christianity was invented, which is sort of ironic, considering how many of these predictions are based in the christian mythology.
Rolan A Doobie

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby sinnybee » 23 Nov 2013, 09:20

lmfao.
Rolan, I can always count on you for a laugh, specifically for pinning logic onto bul___it.
However, in Diplomacy, the Winter season is at the start of the year, before Spring, as in January/February, not December.
So, by your logic, the bot should solve Diplomacy to Fall 2012 or Winter 2013 just to be safe (though we all know that the world never made it to 2013).

Though... we of course aren't talking about the end of the world at all, but rather the end of a preemptive WWI...
for a moment, I thought he meant 1912 instead of 2012.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby melty » 23 Nov 2013, 21:12

Limiting it to winter2012 gives diplomacy a finite number of positions. I picked winter 2012 because of the prediction, and that no game would ever make it that far. If in analasis a game reaches there, then it would be considered a loss for all sides. In the first year, there are anywhere from 0 to 21 moves possible per season, so the first year would be the easiest to solve. The Winter building has 0-21 possible builds total, with different variations in location and A or F. Year two there are anywhere from 0-42 pieces, and I think it's in the third year (or maybe 4th) that the piece limit is conceivably reached.
New to this game, but I read alot of strategy.

Generation 34 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)
melty

Standard rating: (955)
All-game rating: (957)

PreviousNext

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use