Shift Right to the Main Site?

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Shift Right to the Main Site?

Postby diplomat42 » 31 May 2013, 01:56

So...there's been talk about a new variant for the main site, but it hasn't panned out due to Craw's absence. So I was thinking--what about Shift Right/Left? No new map is needed, but rather just some (simple?) code changes to reflect countries moving around.

It seems rather interesting to me, and it could perhaps eventually be expanded to 1900, Milan, or AM?

Rules here: http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/s/shift.htm
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Shift Right to the Main Site?

Postby asudevil » 31 May 2013, 02:40

I liked the test that was run on this...but it may just have been me.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1437
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby jkid » 31 May 2013, 03:34

asudevil wrote:I liked the test that was run on this...but it may just have been me.

That test run was tons of fun.
Member of the Swag Bagels.
jkid

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1034)
All-game rating: (988)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 31 May 2013, 05:20

Great idea!
A new way to play Diplomacy without giving dipsy and Craw/a new photoshopper a lot of work!
I've never played this, but it does sound fun!

For Ancient Med., the countries could go in a star pattern:
Rome -> Egypt
Egypt -> Greece
Greece -> Carthage
Carthage -> Persia
Persia -> Rome
(or some other way, I didn't look at the map to see if that's the fairest way)
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby Blackfish » 31 May 2013, 05:38

Shift Right? Why not Shift Left? What's wrong with Shift Left? Or even Shift Around, for that matter.
"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." - Plutarch

Game History
Blackfish

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby matty8883 » 31 May 2013, 06:24

Woah that is a crazy variant! How long does it usually take before someone can actually build?
matty8883

Standard rating: (1715)
All-game rating: (1708)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby super_dipsy » 31 May 2013, 07:17

Yes, it would not actually be too hard to do. It is only the initial setup that would have to change, and then the rest of the game plays in exactly the same way. I vaguely remember what zaps I had to make to get the trial game set up, so it could be done. But I am hopeful we are making progress on a map-making replacement so don't give up on new variants! Of course, we need the 'new variant voter' process to run again that Pedros runs so I know which one is next.

However Shift Right/Left would not be too bad. It would have to be an option like Stuff or Fog, and then it could apply to any game....oh, except for non-standard start games like Chaos. Not sure Chaos Shift Right makes a lot of sense! I guess the question becomes whether we want to add what is likely to be a relatively rare option and take up another possible 'options' slot :) . The issue with options is that every time we add one, we make things more confusing for players wanting to join a game because there are more things they have to check.

I'll tell you what I had though of at one time. Not sure how much sense it makes, but anyway. After the first Shift Right game, a number of players said they would love to play another one some time. I wondered if rare 'tweaks' like this might be something that could happen on an occasional basis - so for example every now and then I could create a Shift Right or Shift Left or Shuffle game and advertise it on the forum with a password for people to join. Then we don't have to add new and possibly confusing new options but people get a chance to get a fix on something a bit different now and then.

Anyway, as far as the original suggestion is concerned, if people think Shift Right is a good priority and a good use of limited options, it can certainly be done. Where it lands on the priority list will depend on how much support the idea gets
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pedros » 31 May 2013, 07:25

Shift Left would be just as easy (it's a recognised variant with just the countries going in the reverse direction) and both could be offered. The DVFG game (NOT a test run!) was thoroughly enjoyable, it's true.

But one huge problem and one big doubt.

1. Turkey is, literally, a no-hoper. Starting in Germany (in both variants) his only way home is through either Bulgaria/Constantinople or Sevastapol/Armenia. If ever there's a game when he makes it I'd be stunned! You wouldn't want to allow anything but a random start for this one!

2. And as long as there are a handful of reasonable players in the game it could be a 99% draw. One game wasn't enough to test it out, but it took to around 1910 for people to start getting home. Until then they've maybe gained a couple of centres but no units. The alternative would be a game which kind of started again, more like a Regular game, in 1911-ish.

If it's even to be considered then we ought to play a few more trial runs. It isn't difficult (I think!) for dipsy to set the game up so if somebody would like to organise it we can at least ask him. If I remember rightly I advertised both in Games and DVFGs - and, of course, premiums only. But make sure dipsy's on board first!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby Pedros » 31 May 2013, 07:29

My last post crossed with dipsy's (and we'll probably do it again this time!)

Clearly we shouldn't have too much trouble persuading him to give it a go by one means or another. The 'occasional' idea is interesting - depends what takes more work. For the previous run it only involved dipsy altering the starting positions manually when we were ready to go.

If it was an alternative variant to my mind it's clear it's an extra one on the Fleet Rome etc list, not an option like Fog. It's a starting position variant (and could be played Fog. Grief!) In fact I think that Fleet Rome is such a rubbish alternative that its slot could be used for Shift so as not to create another option on the Join list.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby sinnybee » 31 May 2013, 07:47

I don't think we have too many options yet, and I don't think we have to scrap Fleet Rome, but given the choice, I would certainly rather have the Shift option over the Fleet Rome option.

Pedros is correct that it would be on the "Game Variants" list of creating a game, along with Build Anywhere, Winter 1900, etc.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Next

Return to Suggestions