Tournament Game - GUINNESS - AARs

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TDs: Uncle Monty, Samarkand, Sheddy Winner: bitwise.

Re: Tournament Game - GUINNESS - AARs

Postby lotr_freak » 29 Mar 2009, 08:24

connect4 wrote:
Diplomat wrote:/Smacks :arrow: Bitwise for making statements about an ongoing game which might compromise the Anon nature of the game and its players... :x

Really? He seemed to be referring to this game, which isn't anonymous at all.

It finally happened.... Too bad I'm not really around anymore to be all that happy about it. :(
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Gold Member of Classicists
lotr_freak

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby jaredstoff » 30 Mar 2009, 21:08

Heineken AAR - Turkey

This game was a little bit ironic for me. I was blessed with the good fortune of drawing Austria twice in this tourney. In both instances, an early stab by Italy was the catalyst of my demise. The perpetrators? Radishes and chabz, both of who played in this game.

This year began with all three of my neighbors offering friendships/alliances. I pegged Italy as Radishes from the first message. He has his own unique way of breaking the ice, I guess. He suggested working together against Austria, and I agreed to that. Russia wanted to try to disguise a Jugger, and I thought that might work, so I offered to give it a go as well.

However, the moves told a different story. Italy promised to support Serbia into Trieste instead of bouncing, which caused me to bounce in Serbia. Austria supported Russia into Rumania. And Russia tried to pull a fast one on me by trying to sneak into Constantinople. It became very clear to me that an AIR alliance was in effect.

After some prying, both Russia and Austria more or less admitted that there was an agreement between the three of them, but it was Italy who gave me the ironclad admission that AIR was in effect, mostly as a preemptive response to a possible (though non-existent) WT. Considering that I was surrounded by a three-way alliance that would surely pick me apart if left alone, I did the only reasonable thing and started squealing like mad to the western powers that a triple was forming in the south. I even forwarded Italy's admission word-for-word, to quell any doubts.

Apparently, they didn't believe me. But I sowed enough seeds of doubt with Austria by telling him that the triple would fail, and he would be the first to go. I was able to convince him to defect by offering my support into Rumania.

I was feeling relieved at having dodged that bullet, when I was blindsided by a message from France accusing me of "mis-information." I guess that is the PC way to call someone a liar. Our correspondence turned public, with everyone witnessing France calling my pleas "false cries of help" followed by my public defense of my actions. Apparently, he was trying to cement his friendship with Italy. On the plus side, England congratulated me for my hard work.

I also successfully negotiated the destruction of Russia's fleet in the Black Sea. I promised him my friendship if he would do so, plus he was under fire from England in the north, so I wasn't surprised when he complied.

Up do this point, Italy had not been able to make any headway against Austria and I. Yorkshireman apparently expected him to take on both Austria and me, a tall order if you ask me, considering Russia was no longer an aggressor. I'm not sure exactly what Yorkshireman expected Radishes to do against A/I without any support.

Everything changed, though, when Dunam was replaced by chabz. I received total silence from Austria from that point, and suspected that Austria was going to attack me, so I reached out to Italy to work with me against Austria. He supported me into Greece, and as I suspected, Austria attacked Bulgaria.

I had suspected E/F for years, and was consantly preaching this to my neighbors, but Italy didn't believe me. France moved to North Africa in the same turn as Italy supported me into Greece, so it couldn't have been because Italy 'wasn't doing his job.' France made the move without any prior knowledge of the newfound friendship between Italy and me. I knew that E/F never intended to keep Italy on board, but the move to NAf was still not enough to convince Italy that E/F were about to turn on him.

As I suspected, E/F ordered to Pie/GoL/WES/Tun. Finally, I now had Italy completely on board, and along with Russia, we started to make a concerted effort to eliminate Austria as quickly as possible. This pretty much set the stage for the rest of the game: E/F vs I/T/R.

1905 - 1907

E/F pulled of a genius move to take Naples. After that, it was a bunch of Naples and Rome changing hands, and Italy and I were doing an excellent job of stalling them in the Mediterranean. Meanwhile, Russia was also doing an excellent job of stalling England in the north. Inexplicably, England refused to destroy Russia's fleet in Helgoland, which was holding up about four of England's units. I was happy with that, reaizing it was hampering them more than it was hampering us.

It was at the start of this year, or thereabouts, that I proposed a three-way draw to E/F. They rejected my offer. France tried to diminish my success by suggesting that I was only in such a good position because Italy was incompetent. I took exception to that. Whatever. It was apparent that E/F really thought that they had a shot at a two-way, but I was pretty sure I could stalemate them.

So I made one last-ditch offer to England, pointing out that his chances for a two-way were actually much better if he sided with me, and that otherwise I would stalemate him. He declined, saying, "France and I are as loyal to each other in this game as I've ever seen in a game. The chance of either of us turning on the other is practically zero." I thought it was really odd that two players would be so intensely loyal in an anonymous game, which made me suspicious. So I pried, insinuating that his loyalty was based on familiarity, at which point England started to back-pedal. He admitted to me that he had done extensive research, checking times of communication, posts in the forum, and so on, in an effort to determine who his ally was. Then he recanted on his statement that it was about loyalty, saying that it was really about points, and that he was sure France had less points than him, so that was the real reason for the rock-solid alliance.

I thought that was unfair. I was at a disadvantage in an anonymous game because I was not easily recognized by England, and therefore, he could not determine how many points I had. So basically, the only way I could get England to consider my offer would be to reveal who I was (illegal!), so that he could check my points status and consider whether I would be a viable ally. Ridiculous.

1909 - 1912

Since E/F were obviously not going to agree freely to the draw, I had no other choice than to force them. Italy and I pulled off genius move after genius move, taking back Naples from France, keeping Rome, and establishing the western part of the line. We were never really threatened in the north, and Russia was able to fall back nicely into the line.

Meanwhile, in anticipation of E/F trying to sow seeds of doubt among my smaller, more vulnerable allies, I told Italy and Russia in advance that I fully expected E/F to offer me a three-way, and that when they did, I wouldn't accept. I told them that while I was determined to see the stalemate through to 1915, I would yield my place in the draw to either/both of them if they so desired. (The fact that I knew Italy was Radishes had no bearing on this decision. I extended the same offer to Russia, but he declined.) Of course, Radishes, having a shot at the final table, accepted my offer. So when the draw offer finally came, I let Radishes take my place.

Conclusion:

Overall, this was a really satisfying, enjoyable game. I was able to dismantle a triple single-handedly, and I was able to force a powerful duo into accepting my demands for a three-way. And the competition was excellent. Under normal circumstances, I would have earned the draw, but I'm happy to see that Radishes has a shot at the final table, so I'll be rooting for him to make it.

The Players:

Dunam/chabz44 (Austria): Dunam, you were reasonable and communicative. This being the second game this round I played with you, in both instances you were very friendly and and a good ally. chabz, you have a habit of joining mid-game and automatically attacking your ally. It didn't serve you very well in either game. I don't want to read too much into it, as I've never played in a game where you actually started the game, rather than just being a replacement.

Yorkshireman (France): You were a formidable ally. Hopefully our in-game exchange was just that, in-game.

Master Radishes (Italy): Finally, we ended up on the same side! It was a bumpy ride at first, but I'll take it. I'm not sure I can say much else that hasn't been said before; you're obviously a great player, I'm just the next one in a long list to attest to that.

The Leader (Germany): We didn't talk at all.

bitwise (England): We apparently differ on the ethics of anonymous games.The fact that your unfamiliarity with me (in a supposedly anonymous game) basically disqualified me from being considered an option didn't sit well with me. This game could have ended in a two-way, if you had given me a chance. Oh well. You were a great opponent though, and we really only stalemated you two by the skin of our teeth.

Sheddy (Russia): I enjoyed playing with you as well. You were sneaky and conniving (you convinced me to yield Black Sea on the opening move!), but you were also reasonable, open to other opinions, trustworthy and trusting. All in all I'd say that makes you a very good player.
Last edited by jaredstoff on 31 Mar 2009, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
jaredstoff

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby lotr_freak » 31 Mar 2009, 00:02

jaredstoff wrote:Heineken AAR - Austria

Weren't you Turkey jared?
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

lotr_freak

Postby jaredstoff » 31 Mar 2009, 01:14

lotr_freak wrote:

Heh, yes I was. :oops:
jaredstoff

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby lotr_freak » 31 Mar 2009, 06:23

jaredstoff wrote:
lotr_freak wrote:

Heh, yes I was. :oops:

Haha just making sure there. You said Austria, but then your whole AAR was from the point of view of Turkey, so I figured you just made a mistake. lol.

lotr_freak

Postby bitwise » 31 Mar 2009, 06:45

jaredstoff wrote:bitwise (England): We apparently differ on the ethics of anonymous games.The fact that your unfamiliarity with me (in a supposedly anonymous game) basically disqualified me from being considered an option didn't sit well with me. This game could have ended in a two-way, if you had given me a chance. Oh well. You were a great opponent though, and we really only stalemated you two by the skin of our teeth.

Just one comment. By the time we had our conversation, some games had already finished and my other game was coming to an end too, so I was pratically sure that I outnumbered everybody in points including you. I knew that 3 or 4 points would take me to the final, and I was happy to sit out the rest of the game and get 4 points after '15 as I was in a position, where it was impossible for France to stab me. Whereas throwing all the pieces in the air with an E/T alliance offered the possibility of failure, which was the main reason why you were disqualified, but I couldn't tell you that ingame without making my identity obvious.
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)
Timezone: GMT+1

Previous

Return to PlayDip Grand Tournament FIN