THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - Finished

Team tournament using pairs of players in a game. TD: Pedros. Winners: We slept with all your mothers.

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - All games now started

Postby QueenOfHearts » 24 Jun 2010, 20:59

FLTeacher wrote:
Stander wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:Anyway, I DIDN'T think it was possible to finish as a solo france. I couldn't see how that was possible, otherwise I didn't think I would have accepted the draw.

I agree. I can't see that there was any safe way of France being able to take all of the Germany centres without letting me and Russia through the stalemate line.
You could get 18 as a pair no problem, but just couldn't get 18 for one of you only. Hence the 4 way draw.

I have only briefly looked at the game, but I think France could have broken through Ionian to win the game. Rome and Naples could have been taken by France because of the Italian civil disorder. At that point, France would have had 3 ships focused on the Ionian and there was only 2 ships defending from the Turks/Russians. Maybe I am wrong, but from a quick glance I think Turkey and Russia are very lucky to get out alive -- especially with the opening moves of England/Austria.

But for that to have any impact, he would have had to take my SC for the solo. While he was doing that, it would have been virtually impossible for me to hold back T/R wile i slowly diminished
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´QoH`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨Always played, never won!˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´

Thanks to SidneyKidney for my sexy avatar. It has a copyright on it.
QueenOfHearts
Sponsor
Sponsor

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Stander » 25 Jun 2010, 00:59

FLTeacher wrote:
Stander wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:Anyway, I DIDN'T think it was possible to finish as a solo france. I couldn't see how that was possible, otherwise I didn't think I would have accepted the draw.

I agree. I can't see that there was any safe way of France being able to take all of the Germany centres without letting me and Russia through the stalemate line.
You could get 18 as a pair no problem, but just couldn't get 18 for one of you only. Hence the 4 way draw.

I have only briefly looked at the game, but I think France could have broken through Ionian to win the game. Rome and Naples could have been taken by France because of the Italian civil disorder. At that point, France would have had 3 ships focused on the Ionian and there was only 2 ships defending from the Turks/Russians. Maybe I am wrong, but from a quick glance I think Turkey and Russia are very lucky to get out alive -- especially with the opening moves of England/Austria.

You are wrong.
France could not take Naples.
Greece was supporting ION to hold so TYS/Tun no go there and Apu was supporting Naples to hold.
Venice was supported from elsewhere, so he could have taken Rome, but not Naples.
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.
Class: Diplomat
Timezone: GMT

Re: THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE GENERATIONS - 2 of 3 games finished

Postby WarSmith » 25 Jun 2010, 05:34

Big Orange wrote:Here's why the Jugg didn't solo: we were fighting 4 opponents from the start. The ENG/AUS team refused to attack FRA/GER until way too late in the game. They hardly engaged in any Diplomacy at all until with us they were doomed.

Not from the start - only after we'd worked out that you were a jugger, at the point that you both doublecrossed me (Austria) - it took you a while to finally make it obvious.. as you might remember (Credit for that)... And as to the claim of 'no diplomacy'. there was no point in further interest in the game for me after I discovered that I was just making a futile defence against you two - aside, that is from trying to drive a 4 way alliance against you to ensure that a bore-draw was the result and that you all got minimum amount of points. I can't see any point after you two had started wiping me out in continuing to communicate iwth you (or anyone really) - I just started off the 4 way alliance and went quiet.
As for france soloing - yes, I think he could have punched through...
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1754
All-game rating: 1632
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby FLTeacher » 25 Jun 2010, 13:20

Stander wrote:
FLTeacher wrote:I have only briefly looked at the game, but I think France could have broken through Ionian to win the game. Rome and Naples could have been taken by France because of the Italian civil disorder. At that point, France would have had 3 ships focused on the Ionian and there was only 2 ships defending from the Turks/Russians. Maybe I am wrong, but from a quick glance I think Turkey and Russia are very lucky to get out alive -- especially with the opening moves of England/Austria.

You are wrong.
France could not take Naples.
Greece was supporting ION to hold so TYS/Tun no go there and Apu was supporting Naples to hold.
Venice was supported from elsewhere, so he could have taken Rome, but not Naples.

you're right. but if taken slower, i know there is way that Germany could have given France the solo.
FLTeacher

Postby Big Orange » 25 Jun 2010, 18:46

I propose someone set up a game with the ending positions when it was drawn. FLTeacher and I take the FRA/GER side and Stander on Queeny take the TUR/RUS side. I bet we win. Each member of team that loses the bet agrees to send in an extra $10 each to support the site.
Big Orange
Sponsor
Sponsor

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby FLTeacher » 25 Jun 2010, 21:32

Big Orange wrote:I propose someone set up a game with the ending positions when it was drawn. FLTeacher and I take the FRA/GER side and Stander on Queeny take the TUR/RUS side. I bet we win. Each member of team that loses the bet agrees to send in an extra $10 each to support the site.

lol, why? I already played in the generations game ... as France ... and won with England as my partner.
FLTeacher

Postby Big Orange » 25 Jun 2010, 22:13

Why? To prove your point (that I agree with) that germ could have given france the solo in the game under discussion.
Big Orange
Sponsor
Sponsor

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby FLTeacher » 25 Jun 2010, 22:47

Big Orange wrote:Why? To prove your point (that I agree with) that germ could have given france the solo in the game under discussion.

well, the game will never work out the way that game has. but a game is always good.

what is happening in game 3?
FLTeacher

Postby Pedros » 25 Jun 2010, 23:00

Big Orange wrote:I propose someone set up a game with the ending positions when it was drawn. FLTeacher and I take the FRA/GER side and Stander on Queeny take the TUR/RUS side. I bet we win. Each member of team that loses the bet agrees to send in an extra $10 each to support the site.

I'll happily GM a rerun on the Forum syarting from the game finishing position, provided nobody thinks I'd be taking sides in the Challenge!!!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby Stander » 25 Jun 2010, 23:05

Why not just set the game up as it was for the draw and I take one side and you take the other?
I still don't think that you can get all 18 centres into French hands without letting A/T over the stalemate line.
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.

PreviousNext

Return to Battle Between Generations FIN