A question about learning to play Diplomacy...

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

A question about learning to play Diplomacy...

Postby YoukimKudoh » 13 May 2021, 04:56

Is there a guide or video posted somewhere that does a good job explaining the game? I just glanced over the manual, and am going to peruse it in a bit, but my first impression is that it will be difficult to learn, teach, and get right on the first go. I'm excited to play the game thanks to some stellar feedback from some people here, I just want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks.
YoukimKudoh

Re: A question about learning to play Diplomacy...

Postby WHSeward » 13 May 2021, 05:42

Go to the Guides tab on the home page and click through each page. Specific to your question, on the bottom of the first page are links to a few videos that walk through the rules.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby admiralspunky » 13 May 2021, 17:29

YoukimKudoh wrote:but my first impression is that it will be difficult to learn
Nah, I doubt it. You move your units. If a greater number of units fights a smaller force, the larger force wins. Sure, there's other stuff going on, but that's a significant chunk of the rules right there.
admiralspunky

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1006)
All-game rating: (962)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby kookaburra » 14 May 2021, 20:33

YoukimKudoh wrote:Is there a guide or video posted somewhere that does a good job explaining the game? I just glanced over the manual, and am going to peruse it in a bit, but my first impression is that it will be difficult to learn, teach, and get right on the first go. I'm excited to play the game thanks to some stellar feedback from some people here, I just want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks.

I've participated in numerous draws and solo'd once, and I don't think I've ever read the whole manual. Just jump in, do your best, and make some really painful mistakes that haunt your nightmares. You'll master the mechanics in no time.
kookabura sits in the jolly gum tree... which is why you never see him coming.
kookaburra

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (996)
All-game rating: (996)
Timezone: GMT-6

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions