Should I play diplomacy?

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Should I play diplomacy?

Postby PristoMiky » 09 May 2021, 09:48

After listening to the recent 'This American Life' podcast I really want to play diplomacy, however I don't know if I'll ever be able to find time for it. I always hear people say Game Of Thrones is like Diplomacy in half the time, and it sounds brilliant, but I was wondering, do you REALLY get the diplomacy experience in GoT or any other game, or are they just a bit similar?
PristoMiky

Re: Should I play diplomacy?

Postby DylanOwen » 09 May 2021, 10:27

PristoMiky wrote:After listening to the recent 'This American Life' podcast I really want to play diplomacy, however I don't know if I'll ever be able to find time for it. I always hear people say Game Of Thrones is like Diplomacy in half the time, and it sounds brilliant, bappvalley tutuapp tweakbox
ut I was wondering, do you REALLY get the diplomacy experience in GoT or any other game, or are they just a bit similar?

yup i know
DylanOwen

Postby Custer » 09 May 2021, 14:21

If you have to ask then the answer is no.

:twisted:

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1004
All-game rating: 1323
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby David E. Cohen » 09 May 2021, 19:05

Custer, that's a nice paraphrasing of Louis Armstrong. :)
The Academy of Creative Destruction is looking for new members. Please contact me if you have questions or are interested in joining the ACD.
David E. Cohen

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Custer » 09 May 2021, 22:50

LOL......what is the Academy all about?

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1004
All-game rating: 1323
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby David E. Cohen » 11 May 2021, 04:02

Custer wrote:LOL......what is the Academy all about?

Custer

The Academy of Creative Destruction is over 30 years old (it began as a friendly "back room" of the old Cat23 forum). Games are old-school, play by email and human-adjudicated, although GMs are welcome to use software to assist them. We have had both FTF and online world champions as ACD members and the overall level of play is very good. The stronger your level of play the better, but what is much more important to us your reliability and dedication to the game. Some more specifics:

Almost all games are full press and not anonymous.

No scoring or rating systems. Members acquire reputations (see point 1), but each game stands on its own.

Deadlines are usually on the longer side, typically in the 3-7 day range for movement turns and somewhat shorter for retreats and adjustments.

We are serious about reliability and dedication. Multiple failures to submit orders or an abandonment, without cause, and the offending player will be booted from the ACD.

Many games are interesting variants, including playtests of new variants.

PM me if you are interested.
The Academy of Creative Destruction is looking for new members. Please contact me if you have questions or are interested in joining the ACD.
David E. Cohen

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby senorita21 » 22 Aug 2021, 23:48

Diplomacy is emotionally draining.

Also, the skills needed to become proficient at it take time to acquire.

There is no denying that winning is emotionally rewarding.
senorita21

Standard rating: (1194)
All-game rating: (1204)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Strategy