PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

Postby Woolgie » 17 Dec 2020, 12:30

From what I understand, it’s about not having an impact on the player’s thought processes. A comment like ‘wow, nice move by England there, very daring’ would be ok wouldn’t it? But a comment like ‘I think England will move to Gascony and not take Portugal’ is off limits.
I ran Play Diplomacy League for a time and then I set it free
Redesigning my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
WDC 2020 38th place
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 929
Timezone: GMT

Postby another » 17 Dec 2020, 12:34

Woolgie wrote:From what I understand, it’s about not having an impact on the player’s thought processes. A comment like ‘wow, nice move by England there, very daring’ would be ok wouldn’t it? But a comment like ‘I think England will move to Gascony and not take Portugal’ is off limits.

Thinking about it now, perhaps this is NOT a good idea in the end. In f2f games and virtual games, the clock is ticking fast, and whilst the commentary MIGHT affect some thought process, most probably it will not. But in our games with lots of time to deliberate, someone might bring up a move (or implications of a move) that one of the players might not have thought about.

And i'm not sure how etnertaining is a 2-year delay commentary?
another

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1501
All-game rating: 1602
Timezone: GMT

Postby Audacia » 17 Dec 2020, 12:42

From a psychology perspective, if you tell a player he did a good (or a bad job) two game years ago, that effects his psychology going forward in the game. Part of this game is the psychology involved. F2F is different. It moves too quickly for this to ruminate in a player's mind and affect his decision-making going forward.

That will affect the game. It is certainly crossing the line in a ranked game.

I really think a Mod should chime in here. It seems a violation of site rules we all signed onto when we started an account on PDO.
Gold Classicist
Audacia
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 988
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby jay65536 » 17 Dec 2020, 13:56

Part of the reason you can’t re-create FtF commentary is because in FtF, the turns are so fast-paced that if you actually stop to listen to the commentary there is a real trade-off in terms of not being able to negotiate. (I mean I am just speculating to some extent, but I’ve played in my fair share of FtF tournaments and I know I would never take time out of a game to listen to commentary on it—only after.)
jay65536

Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Custer » 23 Feb 2021, 15:42

Well let me insert my commentary here.

:ugeek:

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1005
All-game rating: 1200
Timezone: GMT-6

Previous

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League