ANON. SUPER PASTIS 01-07 Tourney RULES & SignUp Closed

Moderator: dib

Re: Play-Dip Tournament 1901-1907 15/21

Postby dib » 20 Jun 2019, 11:14

StarMonkey wrote:I am in. And my Nickname shall be: The Face of Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

good lad.

welcome aboard starmonkey The Face of Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
dib

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1824
All-game rating: 1942
Timezone: GMT

Re: Play-Dip Tournament 1901-1907 14/21

Postby Custer » 20 Jun 2019, 12:17

I'm not worried about my score. And I don't think anyone else is worried by my score either......LOL

I've never played an "unranked" game. And don't see any reason to start now.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1108
All-game rating: 1071
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Play-Dip Tournament 1901-1907 10/21

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 20 Jun 2019, 18:28

StarMonkey wrote:
Watching you people fret about your precious website score amuses me. Shiv recently posted “ranked or forget about it.” I would offer my alternative assessment: “show up at a tournament and play real people, or forget about it.”

C'mon man. Wouldn't you hate it if you were playing at a normal tournament, but a ton of people there were competing for alternate prizes that were given out based on a scoring system not being used as the official system for the tournament itself?

Like say, for instance, at WDC one year they rank by SOS scores to determine the top board, but all other ranks were given out based on something like Dixiecon scoring? Imagine all the care-bearing that would lead to from players that are convinced they're not going to make it to the top board anyway.

That's the whole deal about games being unrated. Yes, the "prize" here is just one's rating points, but enough people care about them that it can alter the course of a game. If they're handed out on a different basis than the tournament is scored, then you'll have players that choose to play sub-optimally for the actual tournament system in order to make sure their rank points don't suffer.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Custer » 21 Jun 2019, 00:20

LOL........that is so bizarre to me my mind won't even allow me to think about it.......

So, I'm still in, ranked or not. Just this once though......LOL

So do the games end after 07? And some mod is gonna delete them from the system? Or do we play the game out til the end? I guess if its unranked I can just suicide out then, eh?

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1108
All-game rating: 1071
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 21 Jun 2019, 00:54

The SHIV wrote:LOL........that is so bizarre to me my mind won't even allow me to think about it.......

So do the games end after 07? And some mod is gonna delete them from the system? Or do we play the game out til the end? I guess if its unranked I can just suicide out then, eh?

The SHIV

When we played short term games previously (C-Diplo series), it was a requirement that every player promise beforehand that no matter what else happens, they will agree to a DIAS after Fall 1907 retreats resolve.

The C-Diplomacy series wasn’t terribly popular, but the players who did play had no problem with that requirement. Games were unranked so that there was no incentive to break that promise. Hypothetically, were anyone to deliberately drag the game out, they would be kicked out of the series, with all previously received points forfeited.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby WarSmith » 21 Jun 2019, 02:13

Sorry but I’ll only play if this is unranked then (if there will be auto-drawing/pre-agreed drawing).
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1724
All-game rating: 1716
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby SimonMH » 21 Jun 2019, 18:58

I agree the games must be unranked: this format means that five or even six-way draws will be common, especially with a strong lineup. Who wants to play those for ranking points?
SimonMH
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1387
All-game rating: 1682
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Strategus » 21 Jun 2019, 19:25

The SHIV wrote:LOL........that is so bizarre to me my mind won't even allow me to think about it.......

The SHIV

That would be a obvious consequence of unranked games.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1692

Postby asudevil » 21 Jun 2019, 20:45

Strategus wrote:

The SHIV

Nah, you just draw after 7 years... and the 6 man draw doesn’t hurt your score.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1437
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Strategus » 21 Jun 2019, 21:16

asudevil wrote:
Strategus wrote:

The SHIV

Nah, you just draw after 7 years... and the 6 man draw doesn’t hurt your score.

This is the teal problem...everybody thinks their way does not affect behaviours. But this is an implicitly flawed concept.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1692

PreviousNext

Return to Super Pastis 1907 Cutoff 2019