Heptarchy 16 Game End and AARs

7-player variant set in the British & Irish Isles during the Dark Ages. GM'd by Wobbly.

Moderator: Morg

Heptarchy 16 Game End and AARs

Postby Counsel0r » 20 Jun 2019, 22:43

Heptarchy 16: Game End and AARs

There is peace in Albion and Ireland! The DIAS has passed and the game is over! Thanks to everyone for playing. The final draw somehow included everybody except Anglia...poor poor Anglia.

Image on Imgur: https://imgur.com/9o8DTMo

Anyway, please post your AARs below. We have a couple of replacements, so any players that played at any time or any observers are welcome to chime in.

Thanks again and congrats!
Wobbly
Counsel0r

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (972)
All-game rating: (1452)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Heptarchy 16 Game End and AARs

Postby Nanook » 21 Jun 2019, 02:00

I was only in the game for the final year, but I like to think it's what stopped Mercia from soloing ;)

Well done all, good job putting together a functioning ALA.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby AKFD » 21 Jun 2019, 11:12

nanooktheeskimo wrote:I was only in the game for the final year, but I like to think it's what stopped Mercia from soloing ;)

Well done all, good job putting together a functioning ALA.

I should have sent the orders earlier...

But the game was very interesting to say the least!
Silver Classicist! (well, I used to be one)

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.

Telleo wrote: I hereby dub AKFD the official PlayDip Mafia Royal Historian.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (834)
All-game rating: (772)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby VGhost » 21 Jun 2019, 15:29

Nice to see a good result from Scotland for a change.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (987)
All-game rating: (901)

Postby joe92 » 21 Jun 2019, 15:34

Good game to watch. Surprised the DIAS was accepted! Going to have to create a new column on the statistics page for a 6-way draw now... :lol:
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1721)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 21 Jun 2019, 17:53

Just about a solid three month game; thanks for running Heptarchy 16 Wobbly!

Heptarchy! My 4th time playing (if you include my unfortunate start in 11), and my second time as Ireland...and I'm not improving it seems. :lol: If we start with how things ended, we easily could have chopped it down to at least a 5-WD, or maybe 4-WD...but then, we were all content with just ending it all, and patting Mercia on the back for the lovely solo run. ;)

Early Negotiations
I was excited to be Ireland again! It was going to be a fun game! But right out of the gate, I felt like there was an Irish prejudice, and a sort of wariness towards me by my 4 nearest neighbors, while Anglia and Mercia were friendly enough. My natural inclinations were to go for the three available island SCs in year one, so I negotiated, and went for them. Before Spring 651 processed, I was worried I'd be getting bounced out of all three of these centers... So this became my most active part of the game (obviously), where I really worked my tail off to get into these centers. Cornubia was fine with me taking Sci, and Wales was convinced to let me in as well, so that was taken care of. The Isle of Man was something else though. I considered it practically Irish to begin with, I just needed to color it in... NU/(patatevolante4 at this stage), had other ideas however. He told me to take it with support or else he'd bounce me out of it...and this was still in the Spring when we had said basically zilch to each other yet. I asked why he'd go out of his way just for a bounce in 01, and if Scotland had put him up to it, and he said Scotland had put him up to it.
Which brings me to the Hebrides, which is what Scotland wanted. And he sounded like he'd bounce me for it.
I struck a deal (finally) with NU, to the effect that we'd be attacking Scotland together. NU wanted me to go straight for Glasgow out the gate...and I wanted to pick up IoM, so I went for IoM, which really really annoyed NU. It could have been a mistake or a misunderstanding (which I said), but he wouldn't hear any of it, and said he'd bounce me from IoM in the Fall and that this was war.
Jump back to the Spring. My perspective was that NU also annoyed Scotland with his....yeah, a lot, so Scotland and I talk, and he said I could take Heb. And, that we should attack NU together. Perfect.
I send in my Fall orders hoping to get Sci, for-sure getting Heb, and fully expecting a bounce in IoM with NU. Instead I end up getting into all three, and then a message from NU saying, "we're all good now, right?". :| :| It was a weird mix of emotion...but I had IoM.

After the first year, messages slow down... I had a plan to get an army on Northumbrian soil, then Wales enters the fray on NU's side, which was a bit confusing to me, but he did, so my plan was thwarted. Now I was stuck with an army (instead of a much more useful fleet) defending myself against NU and Wales.
Which sort of turns into the Mid game
I lost IoM to NU, but with Mercian Intel (maybe support too, I can't remember), I got into a Welsh center (Swa). Then Mercia stabbed Wales in full, and this is when I started watching Mercia more closely. Also because Anglia had been finished off around this time.

My high point, at 7 centers came when NU and Wales were busy defending themselves instead of fighting me...but it was short lived. Cornubia, Mercia's Anglia killing ally, came to fill the "Irish Enemy" vacancy. Scotland and I also got on rougher than usual terms, and maybe even bounced a bit.
To me, it was fairly obvious that Mercia was a major board threat at this point...and unless he was in an especially snugly mood with his carebear, he'd be stabbing Cornubia soon, and running for the solo.
So my main questions for this game/AAR have to do with Aeschines/Mercia! I'm really looking forward to hearing what your plans, thoughts, and schemes were, and the things that you fed people to make them do what they did.

Anyway, the players great and small banded together to stop that "darn good player Aeschines, who sure came close to that solo. You must have played a pretty good game" :P

So that's about it. I didn't have too much to say. It was fun, and again, thank you Wobbly for GMing this 16th run!

Also just the players!
StarkAdder, always fun to talk to, and hear/read his accent. Well deserved spot in the Draw. ;)
Aeschines, for pushing the limits, and just being a great player to play with.
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: (1051)
All-game rating: (1148)

Heptarchy 16 Game End and AAR - Scotland

Postby StarkAdder » 22 Jun 2019, 14:14

Weel, noo, that wis a guid wee tussle we juist hud, wasn't it? Some fowk say thay cuid nae ken mah brogue sae thay didnae blether enough wi' me, bit ah say bugger thaim; this is th' King's Sassenach, or at least th' Northern version o' it.

Sae thare ah wis, minding mah ain business in this wee bit o' history, whin a civil war begins oan th' Isles. Ah talked wi' Ireland, wha insisted oan taking th' Hebrides (always considered pairt o' Scootlund, by th' way) as th' cost fur bein' mah ally. Efter some back 'n' forth banter, ah agrteed, sin ah reckoned that ah hud a few vulnerable points oan mah wast coast 'n' didnae wantae spend a' mah lee defending thaim.

Northumberland, oan th' ither haun, didnae seem willing tae gie 'n' take...he juist wanted tae tak', as in Dumfries. Sae we stairted aff th' gam in a tussle that we ne'er wur able tae end. Wales ne'er said boo tae me, 'n' ah didnae hae muckle reason tae natter wi' Cornwall at th' stairt, bit Anglia wis a guid pal 'n' 'greed tae press Northumbria a bawherr fae th' sooth while ah tried tae squeeze th' lee oot o' th' bloody Umbers fae th' north.

Sae, in th' middle o' th' gam, ah wis making slow advances intae Umberland, bogged doon a wee bit by mah ain blunders (never huv a go tae gie orders oan yer iPhone if yer thumbs ur lik' mines 'n' skelp th' wrong provinces), while Anglia swallowed up a lot o' th' sooth 'n' th' Irish 'n' Cornwallers 'n' Welsh played hares 'n' hounds wi' yin anither. Northumberland began tae fold 'n' th' sooth jumpt in tae th' fray, 'n' juist as ah thought ah hud murdurred th' bloody Umbers, Anglia stairted tae speil a few games, convoying a gang o' Cornhole mercenaries intae th' Wolds 'n' supporting th' remnants o' th' Northumbrian airmie. Th' Irish aye respected oor keys though thair corracks git bloody claise tae Glescae 'n' we hud tae repel a few boarders.

At this point it seems thare wis a coup in Plymouth 'n' a freish Earl o' Cornwall cam in. He quickly rallied us a' tae th' threat fae Angila, as thay hud conquered a' o' whit thay ca' Englain 'n' wur aboot tae harpoon Wales, git thair Irish up 'n' even git aff Scot free. We dropped oor petty quarrels 'n' joined tae measure Angles 'n' efter a few bounces, made enough progress aroond th' Sooth Penines 'n' th' Channel tae persuade th' Anglish King tae sue fur peace.

O' coorse, we hud tae chant some sort o' Magna Carta oath tae him foremaist, bit 'twas a fair cost tae pay fur a free 'n' braveheart Scootlund.

'Twas an' a' a fin wey tae experience mah foremaist Heptarchy gam (well, ah kin hae played yin afore whaur ah wis wiped aff th' map afore th' end o' year yin, bit ah forgot that yin by choice) 'n' doubly fin tae pretend th' entire gam tae be Scots.

Yers truly, Bruce th' Robert
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1352
All-game rating: 1109

Re: Heptarchy 16 Game End and AAR - Scotland

Postby AKFD » 22 Jun 2019, 15:05

StarkAdder wrote:Weel, noo, that wis a guid wee tussle we juist hud, wasn't it? Some fowk say thay cuid nae ken mah brogue sae thay didnae blether enough wi' me, bit ah say bugger thaim; this is th' King's Sassenach, or at least th' Northern version o' it.

Sae thare ah wis, minding mah ain business in this wee bit o' history, whin a civil war begins oan th' Isles. Ah talked wi' Ireland, wha insisted oan taking th' Hebrides (always considered pairt o' Scootlund, by th' way) as th' cost fur bein' mah ally. Efter some back 'n' forth banter, ah agrteed, sin ah reckoned that ah hud a few vulnerable points oan mah wast coast 'n' didnae wantae spend a' mah lee defending thaim.

Northumberland, oan th' ither haun, didnae seem willing tae gie 'n' take...he juist wanted tae tak', as in Dumfries. Sae we stairted aff th' gam in a tussle that we ne'er wur able tae end. Wales ne'er said boo tae me, 'n' ah didnae hae muckle reason tae natter wi' Cornwall at th' stairt, bit Anglia wis a guid pal 'n' 'greed tae press Northumbria a bawherr fae th' sooth while ah tried tae squeeze th' lee oot o' th' bloody Umbers fae th' north.

Sae, in th' middle o' th' gam, ah wis making slow advances intae Umberland, bogged doon a wee bit by mah ain blunders (never huv a go tae gie orders oan yer iPhone if yer thumbs ur lik' mines 'n' skelp th' wrong provinces), while Anglia swallowed up a lot o' th' sooth 'n' th' Irish 'n' Cornwallers 'n' Welsh played hares 'n' hounds wi' yin anither. Northumberland began tae fold 'n' th' sooth jumpt in tae th' fray, 'n' juist as ah thought ah hud murdurred th' bloody Umbers, Anglia stairted tae speil a few games, convoying a gang o' Cornhole mercenaries intae th' Wolds 'n' supporting th' remnants o' th' Northumbrian airmie. Th' Irish aye respected oor keys though thair corracks git bloody claise tae Glescae 'n' we hud tae repel a few boarders.

At this point it seems thare wis a coup in Plymouth 'n' a freish Earl o' Cornwall cam in. He quickly rallied us a' tae th' threat fae Angila, as thay hud conquered a' o' whit thay ca' Englain 'n' wur aboot tae harpoon Wales, git thair Irish up 'n' even git aff Scot free. We dropped oor petty quarrels 'n' joined tae measure Angles 'n' efter a few bounces, made enough progress aroond th' Sooth Penines 'n' th' Channel tae persuade th' Anglish King tae sue fur peace.

O' coorse, we hud tae chant some sort o' Magna Carta oath tae him foremaist, bit 'twas a fair cost tae pay fur a free 'n' braveheart Scootlund.

'Twas an' a' a fin wey tae experience mah foremaist Heptarchy gam (well, ah kin hae played yin afore whaur ah wis wiped aff th' map afore th' end o' year yin, bit ah forgot that yin by choice) 'n' doubly fin tae pretend th' entire gam tae be Scots.

Yers truly, Bruce th' Robert

I am Cornish and I cannot understand Scottish. I need a translation.

AKFD

Postby StarkAdder » 22 Jun 2019, 23:34

StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1352
All-game rating: 1109

Postby AKFD » 23 Jun 2019, 03:03

StarkAdder wrote:http://www.scotranslate.com/translate/scottish/ta/2/584359#.XQ6e4MopBvI

Thank you, my Scottish friend.

AKFD

Next

Return to Heptarchy 16