New Variant: Dawn of the Enlightenment

Recruitment for and discussion of online Dip games/tournaments that aren't run on the PlayDiplomacy website or as part of the PbF community.

Re: New Variant: Dawn of the Enlightenment

Postby David E. Cohen » 14 Feb 2018, 03:19

Nine players. Six slots remaining.
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
David E. Cohen

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 14 Feb 2018, 19:48

David E. Cohen wrote:Thank you for the comments, NoPunIn10did. In response:

1. Yes, I should probably lighten up the gray.

2. Yeah, Europe is squished, but the map is huge (6,000x3,300) enough already, and making Europe less squished would mean a significantly bigger map. My working map, foe example, was about a third bigger overall. This projection minimizes water areas. Having a bunch of space in the south is just the reality of how the continent's are put together.

3. Not a bad idea.

4. I am not sure what you mean by your last comment. I do give a list of the starting dots for each Power.

For #2, I’m not suggesting making the map bigger. What I mean is that the base global projection you’ve used, while certainly realistic, devotes more space to areas of the world where you have fewer nodes. If your next draft uses something like a Mercator projection instead (with all/most of Antarctica and part of the Arctic clipped out), proportionally you’ll have larger European spaces without having to increase the overall map dimensions.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 14 Feb 2018, 23:20

It'll also be interesting to see how the dynamic of full-powered versus half-powered units works out. Being able to dislodge an opponent's unit without any support is a huge advantage.

It would effectively require five half-powered units to dislodge a single full-powered unit without putting any individual unit at risk:
  1. Unit A attacks full-strength Unit X
  2. Unit B supports A's attack
  3. Unit C supports A's attack
  4. Unit D supports B to hold
  5. Unit E supports B to hold

This is a dramatic departure from the comparable 2-to-1 mechanic usually in play.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471

Postby David E. Cohen » 15 Feb 2018, 01:06

Yes, the interaction between units of differing strengths is one of several things I am very curious to observe in the playtest. Both because of natural attrition and the refit rule, I expect that the percentage of half strength units will decrease as time goes on. How rapidly that occurs will be very interesting to see.
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
David E. Cohen

Postby David E. Cohen » 18 Feb 2018, 17:32

Come on people! I think this variant could be one of the best big variants out there, and there are some very good opponents to challenge your skills.
David E. Cohen

Postby David E. Cohen » 19 Feb 2018, 16:54

Got 11. Need 4.
David E. Cohen

Postby David E. Cohen » 23 Feb 2018, 00:34

We now have 13 confirmed playtesters with 1 more tentative, so we need 1 or 2 more players for a complete roster.
David E. Cohen

Postby David E. Cohen » 06 Mar 2018, 04:35

We have a full roster! For those wanting to observe, I will be posting results in the ACD-Games yahoogroup and on the Redscape website. Additionally, if you want to be an Official Observer (and get first crack at any replacement positions that might become available), email me at zendip18AToptonlineDOTnet and I will add you to the email list.
David E. Cohen

Postby David E. Cohen » 29 May 2018, 04:06

We have an opening for a replacement player. Spain, to be precise. Not the best position, but not a mercy position either. Email me at zendip18AToptonlineDOTnet if you are interested. I can send you the last adjudications and fill you in on any other information you may need.
David E. Cohen

Postby AardvarkArmy » 05 Jun 2018, 18:24

Please put me on the list! I would love to play this!
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy

Standard rating: (1034)
All-game rating: (1259)
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to Offsite Games & Tournaments