1812 Overture [PbF 4]: AAR's

Fourth session of 1812 Overture hosted on the PlayDiplomacy forums (eighth overall). Variant created & GM'd by NoPunIn10Did.

Moderator: Morg

1812 Overture [PbF 4]: AAR's

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 12 Mar 2019, 02:21

So, here's the After-Action Report thread for this game. I apologize that it's so late-in-coming. This is what happens when a game ends shortly before a vacation to Vegas!

As I posted on Discord, this session of 1812 Overture was a first in several ways, the most significant of which was the first-ever Double Win.
@Aeschines, King of New Spaustria and @Wobbly have simultaneously fulfilled the victory conditions, earning a Double Win.
Aeschines finishes the game with 19 total SCs, 12 of which are located in North America. Likewise, Wobbly finishes with 19 total SCs, 13 of which are located in Europe. Congratulations to them both!

FIRSTS
- This is the first time a Double Win has actually been achieved.
- This is the first time that New Spain has been the larger power of a winning player.
- This is the first time that the Shawnee have been the smaller power of a winning player.
- This is the first time that victory was achieved with three players fully eliminated.

1816.13.scores.PNG
1812 Overture score graph for session 8 (Play-by-Forum session 4)
1816.13.scores.PNG (42.25 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 1812 Overture [PbF 4]: AAR's

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 12 Mar 2019, 02:25

Transcript of the post-game Discord chatter

Wobbly 02/28/2019
Thanks for a great game everyone! Thanks and congratulations to my co-winner @Aeschines, King of New Spaustria. Thanks to @Aurelia: Britain/Canada for a good game to @clemj/Nanook for filling in. I really like this variant and it was, as usual, run beautifully by @NoPunIn10Did [GM].

Aurelia: Britain/Canada 02/28/2019
Congrats @Aeschines, King of New Spaustria @Wobbly!

NoPunIn10Did [GM] 02/28/2019
Your game has been recorded in the annals of Valhalla.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=59102&p=970289#p970289
I had to make up a new category for Double Win

Aurelia: Britain/Canada 02/28/2019
I don't think I've said this, but NoPun, you're an incredible GM. I love how clear the maps are, how organized the server is, and how on top of notifying us you are. I remember getting your "pre-game housekeeping" PMs and admiring how official you made everything

I do what I can
helps that I've done this a lot
I have a massive spreadsheet that does a good deal of the forum post formatting for me

Aeschines, King of New Spaustria 02/28/2019
Thank you all for the wonderful game! I had a great time taking it to the end with you @Wobbly , and @Aurelia: Britain/Canada you were an incredibly good ally and I enjoyed playing with you very much!

And of course, @NoPunIn10Did [GM] thank you for running the game so well. This is a really fun variant and I can't wait for it to be world-famous!

woot
wirld famus
herd it hear furst

clemj/Nanook 02/28/2019
Boo

@clemj/Nanook sorry!
I may have led you astray as to my intentions... But I did it for a good cause?
Well, for a cause at least.

One thing I found interesting
If this had been a scored game, @Aeschines, King of New Spaustria could have quite easily taken the solo and left @Wobbly with nothing
That he chose not to is a testament to his graciousness

Well, also I interpreted the double win as being every bit as good as the solo. But you're right. It required a little bit of "carebeary" behavior to pull off. I have a hard time imagining a double win arising naturally, without some intentional scheming (and someone giving up the solo).
But also, I'll take the testament to my graciousness! :smiley:

I think the important thing is that the opportunity was there, right up until the end
A typical carebear draw usually ends up making the solo less and less likely as the game persists
The double win, however, requires both players to keep getting closer and closer to the SC counts they need
And the stalemate lines aren’t enough to keep one player from dicking over the other at the last minute

clemj/Nanook 02/28/2019
I mean...it seems like pointless lying? You would’ve gotten the same result anyways, you didn’t really need to do the whole “yeah, you can throw thing.”
But I do get that it’s hard for a lot of players to stop lying to someone once they’ve started

Well, it was a lot easier to set up a double win once you'd decided you were going to throw to me. So I didn't have any incentive to convince you not to AND I had the inkling of fear that you'd offer to throw to Wobbly instead and that he'd actually go for it.
If you hadn't offered, I wouldn't have asked. But refusing to let someone help you solo... well, I'm sure it's someone's definition of lunacy.

Wobbly 02/28/2019
Yeah, the way things broke, I was definitely at Aeschines’ mercy. He could’ve solo’d but I think getting the first double win was cool too. It does take a certain graciousness. I mean, Dip Players are programmed to go for the solo if they can and so I think this double win thing is going to prove pretty rare. Just the mechanics were so tough because you have to cross the finish line at the same time.

GhostEcho 02/28/2019
Congrats to Aeschines and Wobbly. I had fun while I lasted, even if it was a disaster.

clemj/Nanook 02/28/2019
I wouldn’t have thrown to wobbly. He went silent on me, I don’t believe in rewarding that.

I actually still would’ve let you do what you wanted for the double win rather than see wobbly solo on his own, lol. Can’t speak for Aurelia there, but that was my view.
And tbf, I’m in the minority of players that think the way I do, so I don’t begrudge you the lies, I just don’t think they were necessary.

Wobbly 02/28/2019
I went quiet because I wasn’t going to tell you that we were going for the double win and I don’t like just bullshitting. I’d rather be quiet so when I’m talking to you it’s for a purpose. Or maybe it’s just my innate social awkwardness. If we had talked, all I would’ve done was lie without any purpose and frustrated you at every turn because I wasn’t going to cooperate with you to stop Spaustria. I had committed to trying for the double win so I didn’t see any value in what would’ve only destroyed credibility.
I think I’m in a minority of Dip players that doesn’t agree with the adage of “talk to everyone.”

I used to play that way too, and sometimes I still end up doing it, particularly in larger games
I find that the “for a purpose” scenario tends to rarely go my way if I ask something difficult from someone I rarely talk to

Wobbly 02/28/2019
Yeah that’s true. I do think there’s value in just maintaining a relationship. I just didn’t see this conversation being anything other than frustrating for Nanook.

Sometimes I just talk about the weather
Or equivalent small talk
Not usually a good strategy in F2F
Unless you’re both bored

clemj/Nanook 02/28/2019
I mean
You could’ve just said that, so I didn’t waste my time
Personally, I prefer to just be told “sorry, no,” than to waste my time
Lying wasn’t your only option. Cause realistically...if you guys openly said “we’re going for the double win,” what could I have done to stop it? Nothing. So ignoring or lying is just...rude, at that point.
It’s also just kinda rude in general to ignore someone. Like, it’s easy to just say “sorry, don’t think we can work together,” and saying nothing gets the same message across, except it also wastes the other persons time and energy
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to 1812 Overture [PbF 4]