Why Hundred? To Colonial, or not to Colonial?

Posts applicable to the variant selection process circa 2015 and before. Will also contain subforums where approved & elected variants are "workshopped" for specific tweaks during implementation.

Work on Colonial, now that Hundred is done?

Colonial!
66%
No, not Colonial.
34%

Total votes : 29

Why Hundred? To Colonial, or not to Colonial?

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 26 Mar 2018, 17:15

Why Hundred?

Hello everyone! I hope folks are enjoying Hundred. It was the first time I've built a map specifically for PD, and I hope it won't be the last time.

In the past, PlayDiplomacy has used a voting and vetting procedure via which the next variant maps are selected. The rules for the procedure involve a phase of discussion whereby ambiguous rules and other issues are sorted out. Once a specific version of the rules and/or map are agreed upon, there's a final vote between the vetted candidates (as seen in the vote for Versailles back in 2013).

So why did Hundred bypass this? The short answer, from Dipsy, was "with NoPun offering all the hard work it seemed too good an opportunity to miss."

So why did I work on Hundred?
  1. I chose Hundred because it would be relatively easy to put together.
  2. I chose Hundred because the two-player challenge seemed to be a big hit, and the site might enjoy another option with a low player count (particularly a map specifically designed for fewer players).
  3. I wanted to prove that I could handle the hard work and content creation for a new map so that eventually bringing my own creation, 1812 Overture, to the site might be a more likely reality.

As for reason #3, 1812 Overture's latest rules and map could use some further playtesting, so I'm in no rush to push for it yet.

Colonial?

As I'm not even a mod on the site, I think it's probably best if I don't unilaterally make the call on what the next variant map should be, even though I may be the one to do the artwork and several chunks of the implementation. I certainly have no direct say on when the next variant would be released; after all, Hundred just came out.

What I have noticed, however, is that there still seems to be some interest in bringing Colonial to the site. It was the runner-up during the last voting session, and there seem to be a fair number of Colonial evangelists here on the forum. It was previously vetted and approved as a possible variant, though I imagine there would need to be some further discussion on the particulars of Sakhalin. We'd need to have a conversation about how to handle the ratings for Colonial games, since it's considerably less balanced than any other map currently supported.

We probably need to bring back the variant voting & vetting procedures, though possibly in another format (given what appears to have been low participation last time). But for Colonial or any other variant to even be a viable candidate, there's a lot of content that has to be produced for it.

So here's the thing: I am building a map for Colonial.
I started last night, carving out its borders (based on the printed copy) and generating the SVG that will eventually be transformed into usable artwork. I will produce custom country-specific hex/sail units for it, as I did with Hundred.

But is Colonial what the site wants? There's a good deal more to the implementation beyond the artwork, so if you all don't actually want this map, I can hold off on some of the more tedious bits.

So what say you, forumgoers? To Colonial, or not to Colonial?

(Note that this is not an official vote but rather a gauge of interest.)
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Why Hundred? To Colonial, or not to Colonial?

Postby TheCraw » 26 Mar 2018, 17:31

a full documentation of Coloinal Diplomacy map development can be found here:
https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=39440
(sadly, most of the images in that thread died when the image-hosting site used when "paid accounts only")

As I stated in that thread, in the Official board game (released by Avalon Hill) Sakhalin does not have a land-bridge to Vladivostok, but there is one between Otaru and Sakhalin. This is not enough though, so the proposal was to extend the boundaries of the Sea of Japan so it ALSO touches Sakhalin. This gives players 3 access points to attack Sakhalin: Otaru, Sea of Japan and Okhotsk Sea

...that sounded like a good fix, and was in the "official map" submitted for the variant vote
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw
Premium Member

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000

Postby Custer » 26 Mar 2018, 17:37

That sounds good too.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1004
All-game rating: 1323
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby joe92 » 26 Mar 2018, 17:43

I think Colonial is a great looking map but I'll say the same thing I said last time I was asked to weigh in on this.

Colonial has been run 6 times on this site. It has resulted in five 4-way draws and one 3-way draw. Is it the best map to bring through if those are the stats for it?

If those games do not represent a trend for the map and other stats elsewhere show it can get better results then I'll say one other thing I said. Please don't do the insets as currently used for Hong Kong and Singapore in Colonial. They are very ugly and do not allow the players to quickly assess unit density in that region of the map. Hong Kong and Singapore are on the map but then the units are way off to the left in an inset? It just confuses things. The units need to be placed at the location they are. That's just an aesthetic thing though and doesn't affect whether it's brought through.

Stoked to hear there's going to be more contribution to bringing variants to this site! :)
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1721)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 26 Mar 2018, 17:51

TheCraw wrote:a full documentation of Coloinal Diplomacy map development can be found here:
https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=39440
(sadly, most of the images in that thread died when the image-hosting site used when "paid accounts only")

As I stated in that thread, in the Official board game (released by Avalon Hill) Sakhalin does not have a land-bridge to Vladivostok, but there is one between Otaru and Sakhalin. This is not enough though, so the proposal was to extend the boundaries of the Sea of Japan so it ALSO touches Sakhalin. This gives players 3 access points to attack Sakhalin: Otaru, Sea of Japan and Okhotsk Sea

...that sounded like a good fix, and was in the "official map" submitted for the variant vote

I'm familiar with that thread. Now that some PBF games have been run with the land bridge to Vladivostok, I'd be interested to see whether that's still the version desired.

My personal preference would be to connect it to all three (Vladivostok, Otaru, and the Sea of Japan), but I don't have much of a dog in that fight.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 26 Mar 2018, 17:55

joe92 wrote:I think Colonial is a great looking map but I'll say the same thing I said last time I was asked to weigh in on this.

Colonial has been run 6 times on this site. It has resulted in five 4-way draws and one 3-way draw. Is it the best map to bring through if those are the stats for it?

I'm also looking at the Colonial stats from over on vDiplomacy. They've had quite a few games there, but they don't speak well for Colonial's balance.

joe92 wrote:If those games do not represent a trend for the map and other stats elsewhere show it can get better results then I'll say one other thing I said. Please don't do the insets as currently used for Hong Kong and Singapore in Colonial. They are very ugly and do not allow the players to quickly assess unit density in that region of the map. Hong Kong and Singapore are on the map but then the units are way off to the left in an inset? It just confuses things. The units need to be placed at the location they are. That's just an aesthetic thing though and doesn't affect whether it's brought through.

Stoked to hear there's going to be more contribution to bringing variants to this site! :)

Good feedback. I'll do what I can to make sure Hong Kong and Singapore have a visible space on the map proper. It might require some fudging of the borders.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby asudevil » 26 Mar 2018, 18:54

If we are doing a "mega map" I prefer to add the number of players...not just the number of SC
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby VGhost » 26 Mar 2018, 19:18

If we're adding another 7-player variant, I'd prefer to see Heptarchy (which is, by far, the most popular forum variant, with 13 games archived and one just wrapped up) rather than Colonial. I'll admit I'm not sure about balance: I believe Scotland, in particular, has done badly.

I'm also with asudevil in thinking that adding centers without adding players doesn't add to the gameplay. That's not to say I'm against Colonial: I'm running the current forum game and I'd do it again, or play myself, whatever the map choices. But my first choice for a new variant would be Heptarchy, and if we're wanting a bigger game, I'm a zealot for War in the Americas. So I voted "No" on this poll.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Standard rating: (987)
All-game rating: (901)

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 26 Mar 2018, 19:58

GhostEcho wrote:I'm also with asudevil in thinking that adding centers without adding players doesn't add to the gameplay. That's not to say I'm against Colonial: I'm running the current forum game and I'd do it again, or play myself, whatever the map choices. But my first choice for a new variant would be Heptarchy, and if we're wanting a bigger game, I'm a zealot for War in the Americas. So I voted "No" on this poll.

Maybe I should draw up both maps and let them battle head-to-head.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 26 Mar 2018, 20:07

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
GhostEcho wrote:I'm also with asudevil in thinking that adding centers without adding players doesn't add to the gameplay. That's not to say I'm against Colonial: I'm running the current forum game and I'd do it again, or play myself, whatever the map choices. But my first choice for a new variant would be Heptarchy, and if we're wanting a bigger game, I'm a zealot for War in the Americas. So I voted "No" on this poll.

Maybe I should draw up both maps and let them battle head-to-head.

I had voted yes for Colonial... But had not recollected Heptarchy! :shock: :)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148

Next

Return to Legacy Process & Workshop Archive