Why Hundred? To Colonial, or not to Colonial?

Posts applicable to the variant selection process circa 2015 and before. Will also contain subforums where approved & elected variants are "workshopped" for specific tweaks during implementation.

Work on Colonial, now that Hundred is done?

Colonial!
66%
No, not Colonial.
34%

Total votes : 29

Re: Why Hundred? To Colonial, or not to Colonial?

Postby joe92 » 27 Mar 2018, 16:56

asudevil wrote:
joe92 wrote: You could run a new poll. Colonial vs Heptarchy vs War in the Americas. Possibly vs Zeus as well (I think the V-F version is the most liked). Probably get a lot more votes this time too.

I think they're all good options and it would be amazing if they could all be introduced. There's clear differentiation between them all.

But many are just 7 player variants on a different map. That's why I think WitA is the most "different"

Yeah, that's true. Likewise I would love to see some bigger maps in terms of no. of players on this site. Eventually even a world dip variant.

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
joe92 wrote:If presented with the option of should I add a new variant, or should I not add a new variant, the result is likley always going to be add a new variant. I don't think the people on this site are going to be like, nah, we've had enough. The variant could be pretty poor and I'd be willing to wager that the result is yes add a new variant. Choosing between the variants is going to yield a better result of what to introduce. The poll pedros ran was 5 years ago. You could run a new poll. Colonial vs Heptarchy vs War in the Americas. Possibly vs Zeus as well (I think the V-F version is the most liked). Probably get a lot more votes this time too.

I think they're all good options and it would be amazing if they could all be introduced. There's clear differentiation between them all.

It's not a bad idea. For Heptarchy, you've made a really good map that I think would be a solid basis for the site map. I'll talk with you off-thread about that.

Let me talk to Dipsy & Co. to see if he's okay with me restarting the official voting and nomination process.

Sure, send me a message.

If you are willing to create all three maps I sincerely hope that Dipsy & Co. are willing to let them be introduced. It would bring so much to this site.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1721)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 27 Mar 2018, 17:06

joe92 wrote:Yeah, that's true. Likewise I would love to see some bigger maps in terms of no. of players on this site. Eventually even a world dip variant.

I need someone to make a world Dip variant that's actually readable first. Too many use world maps that might be semi-accurate in scale, but become wholly unplayable without zooming in a lot.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby TheCraw » 27 Mar 2018, 22:42

NoPunIn10Did wrote:I need someone to make a world Dip variant that's actually readable first. Too many use world maps that might be semi-accurate in scale, but become wholly unplayable without zooming in a lot.

...get a bigger monitor? :P
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw
Premium Member

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 27 Mar 2018, 22:44

TheCraw wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:I need someone to make a world Dip variant that's actually readable first. Too many use world maps that might be semi-accurate in scale, but become wholly unplayable without zooming in a lot.

...get a bigger monitor? :P

:evil:

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 29 Mar 2018, 19:44

asudevil wrote:
joe92 wrote: You could run a new poll. Colonial vs Heptarchy vs War in the Americas. Possibly vs Zeus as well (I think the V-F version is the most liked). Probably get a lot more votes this time too.

But many are just 7 player variants on a different map. That's why I think WitA is the most "different"

Some initial fiddling with the power colors for Guerra en las Américas:

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 30 Mar 2018, 15:28

Good news everyone!

On the subject of Colonial, I've finally tracked down a PDF of the rules from one of the printed copies of the game.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby TheCraw » 30 Mar 2018, 19:01

NoPunIn10Did wrote:Good news everyone!

On the subject of Colonial, I've finally tracked down a PDF of the rules from one of the printed copies of the game.

That is good news, but remember, the rules back then will need "improving", as far as Sakhalin is concerned.
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw
Premium Member

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 30 Mar 2018, 19:03

TheCraw wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:Good news everyone!

That is good news, but remember, the rules back then will need "improving", as far as Sakhalin is concerned.

Oh, absolutely. I just mean that we have a source to double-check certain details that we didn't have before.

For instance, it's hard to find online currently a source that specifically states that the Trans-Siberian Railway is limited to one unit per turn; that caused some issues for the most recent Play-by-Forum game. I had to dig to find anything that specifically mentioned a limit.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 03 Apr 2018, 05:02

Further progress on the Colonial map:

The colors you see at the moment are arbitrary and will be replaced; the point is to show the progress in carving up the map's geometry. All of the mainland has been handled, and I'm working through the islands.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby sinnybee » 03 Apr 2018, 05:58

Thank you! :)
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

PreviousNext

Return to Legacy Process & Workshop Archive