Why Hundred? To Colonial, or not to Colonial?

Posts applicable to the variant selection process circa 2015 and before. Will also contain subforums where approved & elected variants are "workshopped" for specific tweaks during implementation.

Work on Colonial, now that Hundred is done?

Colonial!
66%
No, not Colonial.
34%

Total votes : 29

Re: Why Hundred? To Colonial, or not to Colonial?

Postby Nanook » 27 Mar 2018, 07:06

GhostEcho wrote:If we're adding another 7-player variant, I'd prefer to see Heptarchy (which is, by far, the most popular forum variant, with 13 games archived and one just wrapped up) rather than Colonial. I'll admit I'm not sure about balance: I believe Scotland, in particular, has done badly.

I'm also with asudevil in thinking that adding centers without adding players doesn't add to the gameplay. That's not to say I'm against Colonial: I'm running the current forum game and I'd do it again, or play myself, whatever the map choices. But my first choice for a new variant would be Heptarchy, and if we're wanting a bigger game, I'm a zealot for War in the Americas. So I voted "No" on this poll.

Pretty much my opinion. Heptarchy is great, and I'm a big fan of WitA.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Nanook » 27 Mar 2018, 08:13

Oh, and regarding WitA: Pedros showed that Spain, in the hands of a competent player, can do well. The question with balance on that map is Argentina, I believe, and whether they can find success. I believe they can, but they've struggled thus far in our PbF games.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby joe92 » 27 Mar 2018, 10:58

I also voted no on this. Not because I don't want new variants, I really do, but because I don't think Colonial is the best one to bring through. If it's an open vote my vote goes firmly towards Heptarchy with probably WitA being a second choice. Zeus is also a strong contender (this was going to be my next project to reskin). If there's to be another small map Baltic could also be brought through.

Perhaps before you get stuck into working on colonial you ask a different question? Instead of asking should you bring Colonial to the site (which no matter the variant it's going to land more on the yes than no as we all want new variants :D ), put a poll out asking the public which of a bunch of different variant's they'd like to see? You may decide to change your mind based on the result.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1721)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Custer » 27 Mar 2018, 11:52

Is there a map for this so called Heptarchy somewhere?

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1004
All-game rating: 1323
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby joe92 » 27 Mar 2018, 12:05

The SHIV wrote:Is there a map for this so called Heptarchy somewhere?

The SHIV

It's been run 14 times through the forum and the latest reskin of the map can be seen at the bottom of the stats post on this thread.

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 27 Mar 2018, 12:57

joe92 wrote:I also voted no on this. Not because I don't want new variants, I really do, but because I don't think Colonial is the best one to bring through. If it's an open vote my vote goes firmly towards Heptarchy with probably WitA being a second choice. Zeus is also a strong contender (this was going to be my next project to reskin). If there's to be another small map Baltic could also be brought through.

Perhaps before you get stuck into working on colonial you ask a different question? Instead of asking should you bring Colonial to the site (which no matter the variant it's going to land more on the yes than no as we all want new variants :D ), put a poll out asking the public which of a bunch of different variant's they'd like to see? You may decide to change your mind based on the result.

Because Colonial was the strong runner-up last time, I thought it might be smart to have a straw poll focusing only on it.

However, I can see a strong case being made for Heptarchy and War in the Americas. Particularly WitA, since it would bring a non-7-player map to the table and would get us out of Europe.

I think the optimal answer would be “make them all!”, though I know Dipsy et. al. have expressed that they don’t want to just make more and more maps without some clear differentiation that makes each one special.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)

Postby joe92 » 27 Mar 2018, 14:04

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
joe92 wrote:I also voted no on this. Not because I don't want new variants, I really do, but because I don't think Colonial is the best one to bring through. If it's an open vote my vote goes firmly towards Heptarchy with probably WitA being a second choice. Zeus is also a strong contender (this was going to be my next project to reskin). If there's to be another small map Baltic could also be brought through.

Because Colonial was the strong runner-up last time, I thought it might be smart to have a straw poll focusing only on it.

However, I can see a strong case being made for Heptarchy and War in the Americas. Particularly WitA, since it would bring a non-7-player map to the table and would get us out of Europe.

I think the optimal answer would be “make them all!”, though I know Dipsy et. al. have expressed that they don’t want to just make more and more maps without some clear differentiation that makes each one special.

If presented with the option of should I add a new variant, or should I not add a new variant, the result is likley always going to be add a new variant. I don't think the people on this site are going to be like, nah, we've had enough. The variant could be pretty poor and I'd be willing to wager that the result is yes add a new variant. Choosing between the variants is going to yield a better result of what to introduce. The poll pedros ran was 5 years ago. You could run a new poll. Colonial vs Heptarchy vs War in the Americas. Possibly vs Zeus as well (I think the V-F version is the most liked). Probably get a lot more votes this time too.

I think they're all good options and it would be amazing if they could all be introduced. There's clear differentiation between them all.

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Postby asudevil » 27 Mar 2018, 14:12

joe92 wrote: You could run a new poll. Colonial vs Heptarchy vs War in the Americas. Possibly vs Zeus as well (I think the V-F version is the most liked). Probably get a lot more votes this time too.

I think they're all good options and it would be amazing if they could all be introduced. There's clear differentiation between them all.

But many are just 7 player variants on a different map. That's why I think WitA is the most "different"
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 27 Mar 2018, 15:26

joe92 wrote:If presented with the option of should I add a new variant, or should I not add a new variant, the result is likley always going to be add a new variant. I don't think the people on this site are going to be like, nah, we've had enough. The variant could be pretty poor and I'd be willing to wager that the result is yes add a new variant. Choosing between the variants is going to yield a better result of what to introduce. The poll pedros ran was 5 years ago. You could run a new poll. Colonial vs Heptarchy vs War in the Americas. Possibly vs Zeus as well (I think the V-F version is the most liked). Probably get a lot more votes this time too.

It's not a bad idea. For Heptarchy, you've made a really good map that I think would be a solid basis for the site map. I'll talk with you off-thread about that.

Let me talk to Dipsy & Co. to see if he's okay with me restarting the official voting and nomination process.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 27 Mar 2018, 15:54

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

PreviousNext

Return to Legacy Process & Workshop Archive