War in the Americas VIII (with special comms!) (In Bidding)

10 player variant set in North and South America circa 1840, created by Macario Reyes. GMed by NanookTheEskimo.

WitA 8: The Last War

Moderator: Morg

Re: War in the Americas VIII (with special comms!) (In signu

Postby Nanook » 17 Aug 2018, 17:44

Game 7 has now officially started. Game 8 will be starting in a couple weeks, the first or second week of September.

Fair warning for game 8--you may be subject to some (light) experimentation. Nothing to get overly concerned about ;)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Nanook » 22 Aug 2018, 08:41

Roster for Game 8 will be selected in the next week or so, with bidding hopefully kicking off around the 28th and finished a couple days later. If you want in but haven't put your name down, now's the time to do so!

A sampling of the ways you'll be experimented on:

There will be NO adjudications on Mondays or Tuesdays, and few on Wednesdays. It's not quite a weekly schedule, but it does mean that there will be some turns that are longer than others. No turn will be shorter than 3 days. Most orders phases will likely have a Wednesday or Saturday deadline, but that is not to be considered set in stone! Especially early in the game, I may go for a bit longer than 72 hour deadlines.

Your own discord server! You'll be getting your own discord server to play in. You'll enjoy it. I promise. Probably. ;) (Observers are still welcome, and will be able to watch and comment in their own private section!)

Lowered VC--instead of the normal 31 SC victory condition for WitA, we'll be trying out 21 SCs for a solo.

No provisional builds or retreats. The GM will try to accommodate you if you need the turn to be held for some reason, however, because he is not a (complete) dick. The GM may also decide to hold until the deadline if it lines up the next turn's deadline better.

Country assignments will be handled via a "live-ish" auction rather than a blind auction, done over the course of a few days. The tl;dr version is that the country assignment will be done sort of similar to a fantasy auction draft, if you're familiar with that. Everyone will have points to bid, and you bid on the countries until you get one. In a twist, any points that you bid are gone forever, regardless of whether you win the bid or not. More information on this will be available as soon as I'm done writing it up!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

WitA 8 Bidding Rules

Postby Nanook » 22 Aug 2018, 09:18

How Country Bidding Will Work

Everybody will start with 200 points.

Countries will be put up for bid in a randomized order, with the order announced prior the first round of bidding.

There will be roughly 24 hours for players to bid per round.*

Players may make as many bids on a country as they desire.

The highest bid for a country will win that country, and no longer be eligible to bid on other countries. If there is a tie for highest bid, the winner will be determined by the GM.

You MUST have at least one remaining point to bid per country (meaning that the max bid for each country is remaining bid points minus N, where N is the remaining countries left to bid on).

At the end of each round, each players highest bid in that round will be subtracted from their point total, regardless of whether they won the bid. Example: in round one John bids 40 points on Argentina. Joan bids 41. John passes, and Joan wins the bid. John still loses 40 points, and goes into round two with 160 points to spend (and thus a max bid of 152).

You do not have to bid on each country.

At any time during the bidding (including before you've made a bid), you may tag the GM and elect to pass. This means you can no longer spend any points on the country currently being bid on (you will still lose any points you have already committed). Players may alert the GM in advance if they know they wish to pass with a zero bid on a specific country.

*I would guess that at least the last 5 or so rounds won't take the full 24 hours. I would be very surprised if this took a full 9 days to complete.

This will, I hope, be a fun and exciting way to spice up the country selection process and introduce an increased element of gamesmanship to it. Questions and feedback are welcome!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby AKFD » 22 Aug 2018, 10:39

That seems interesting!

Do you have to be there when it starts? I might try to fit in since school is already here.
Silver Classicist! (well, I used to be one)

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 834
All-game rating: 772
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Nanook » 22 Aug 2018, 11:54

AKFD wrote:That seems interesting!

Do you have to be there when it starts? I might try to fit in since school is already here.

Anyone chosen wouldn’t necessarily have to be there...but it works a lot better if people can check in at least a couple times per round, even briefly. Considering that the rounds last 24 hours, this isn’t too onerous an ask, I think, given the intense nature and frequency of comms in many PbF games!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Nanook » 22 Aug 2018, 12:25

Per request, bidding will start the 29th, assuming enough confirmations by then.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby kimpossible » 22 Aug 2018, 17:45

I want in on some future run of a PbF with your new and improved comms system.

I helped test, y'all. You're in for a treat.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Nanook » 22 Aug 2018, 19:57

kimbyrle wrote:I want in on some future run of a PbF with your new and improved comms system.

I helped test, y'all. You're in for a treat.

If it goes well, I may run it for my next PbF game after one of the WitA game ends, probably sometime early next year. And probably Blitzkrieg...although possibly another run of Vikings, I loved that game...or something else entirely that catches my fancy between now and then ;)

I'm pretty hyped for game 8! Should be a lot of fun.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Counsel0r » 22 Aug 2018, 21:31

If it's not too late, I'd like to add my name to the list of interested players. Not sure if there's room in an upcoming game but I'd love to give this one a shot.
Counsel0r

Standard rating: (972)
All-game rating: (1452)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Nanook » 22 Aug 2018, 23:19

Wobbly wrote:If it's not too late, I'd like to add my name to the list of interested players. Not sure if there's room in an upcoming game but I'd love to give this one a shot.

We’re *probably* already at quota, but I’ll give you a shout if someone backs out!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

PreviousNext

Return to War in the Americas 8