War in the Americas VII (game 7 started!)

10 player variant set in North and South America circa 1840, created by Macario Reyes. GMed by NanookTheEskimo.

WitA 7: The War Awakens.

Moderator: Morg

War in the Americas VII (game 7 started!)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 29 Jun 2018, 14:01

What time is it? It's time for War in the Americas! And this game comes with a special twist--comms will be handled through the Playdip Discord server (here: https://discord.gg/rNFDaun).

This is a 10 player game set in the Americas starting in 1840. It'll be played with 4/1/1 deadlines (with slight alterations to adjust for my schedule). Maps will be posted here on the forum, and all comms will be handled through Discord. Rivers allow fleets to move to spaces adjacent to them. The Great Lakes spaces act the same as regular sea spaces. Full GM rules will be posted at a later date.

For those of you familiar with previous runs of WitA, the colors are a bit different. I'm aware that Britain needs to be tweaked, and will be fixed before game start. Speaking of which, game start will be in mid to late August, assuming we have ten by then. Signups are not necessarily first come first served and reserves are always welcome, so don't hesitate to put your name down if you want to play!

Countries will be assigned by Blind Auction, which means no discussing preferences beforehand.

WitA Blank Map.png
WitA Blank Map.png (51.03 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

Interested:
Alman (confirmed for game 7)
AKFD
NoPunIn10Did (confirmed for game 8)
Boldblade (confirmed for game 7)
Asudevil (interested in both games, confirmed for game 7)
Joe92
Aardvarkarmy (interested in both games, confirmed for game 7)
TTben (confirmed for game 7)
StarkAdder
Antigonos
GhostEcho
Aeschines (confirmed for game 7)
Groo (confirmed for game 7)
Kimbyrle (confirmed for game 7)
Sinnybee
Don Juan of Austria (confirmed for game 7)
WakaKafkaFlame
Morg (confirmed for game 7)
UpQuark (sadly leaving us bereft of his presence)
UFO Fever
Bigj0e03
Bagle
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

War in the Americas VII GM Rules

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 29 Jun 2018, 14:02

War in the Americas 7 House Rules

Orders
Title all orders clearly. Orders should be labeled as such: "WitA 7--Country--Orders/Retreats/Builds Spring 01." If it's not exact that's ok, as long as the game name and correct phase are included. All orders should be sent in an individual PM--do not hit reply and think I will know what it is. Any orders that are mislabeled and I don't see are your responsibility, and any NMR resulting from it will stand. I will make every effort to find orders before adjudicating, but it is up to you to make sure they are properly labeled.

I will not be reading orders to check for accuracy, it is entirely up to you to make sure they're accurate. I'll accept any orders that are clear in meaning (i.e., not specifying a coast when only one is possible), but if it's at all unambiguous it will be counted as invalid and processed as a hold (i.e., entering a convoy order for a fleet but not ordering the army to move, or entering Nor as an abbreviation, will result in an invalid order). Any reasonable abbreviation is fine as long as it's clear and unambiguous.

If you find a mistake in my adjudication, please report is as soon as you see it. If it isn't reported before the next movement phase, it is final and will not be corrected.

If two or more orders for the same unit are entered, then I'll use the last one and ignore the others, except when too many build orders are entered, in which case the correct number from the beginning of the list will be accepted.

Other Messages
Please title any messages not containing orders something different, so I know which is which--otherwise I'll probably assume they're orders and not read them before the deadline! If you ask a rules question then if it's clear I'll answer it; if it's something not clearly covered by the game rules I'll do my best, but in the light of argument from other players I might change my mind after the adjudication. If you think I'm wrong, I expect you to say so loudly and with clear reasons; if you do, I'll listen and consider the arguments (and allow an extension whilst it's sorted out). If a question is asked privately then it will be answered privately.

Deadlines
Deadlines will be 4/1/1 from the time the new map is posted. I will send a PM at the same time I post the new phase, so there's no excuse for not noticing the phase has changed! If you subscribe to the sub-forum of the game, then you'll also receive emails whenever a new topic is posted. I also highly recommend sending in provisional orders as well, just in case.

For any phases longer than 24 hours, I'll give an approximately 24 hour warning to every player without orders entered. If at any time I fail to send an individual reminder without realizing it and post the phase with an NMR, it will stand. It is your responsibility to get orders in before the deadline.

Speed deadlines: unless orders are marked as provisional, I will process orders as soon as I've received orders from everyone. I encourage players to send in provisional orders, and you're welcome to update and change your orders as often as you like before the deadline. You may update provisional orders to finalized if you wish. There is no pressure at any time to finalize orders however, it's an option not a requirement.

Requests for delays: Reasonable requests for delays will be accepted. Last minute requests on a 4 day deadline because you don't have access will not be accepted, considering you've had the whole deadline to send in provisionals at the very least. Please give as much notice as possible if you need a delay--sometimes life happens, but if you know 6 months ahead that you're going on a 10 day vacation with no internet access and it falls during the game, don't wait until the day before you leave to ask for a pause!

If you need a substitute, it is your responsibility to find one.

Win Condition
31 SCs is a solo victory.

All draws must be voted through unanimously by all remaining players on the board, but they do not have to include all survivors. A draw can be proposed at any time, and will be canceled as soon as one veto is recorded or after two turns are processed (including builds, not including retreats), whichever is sooner. Draw votes can be submitted via PM or as a comment on the draw proposal post. Please note that votes left on the map post will not be counted. Players are limited to one draw proposal per turn.

NMRs
I usually aim to process the orders as close to the deadline as possible, though occasionally I'll make exceptions. If you get orders in a few minutes after the deadline I'll let it pass, but as soon as I start opening and adjudicating orders, it's too late. I may very rarely give a grace period, but do not count on it.

Two NMRs and you're out. Consecutive NMRs and you're out. NMR the first phase, and you're out. NMRs will be counted for order phases, and half to a full NMR for missed retreats and builds at my discretion. If an NMR leads to expulsion then there will be a pause while I try to replace them, and the new player gets a day minimum to talk and post orders. I reserve the right to place a country in Civil Disorder instead of finding a replacement. I reserve the right to eject a player before meeting all the NMR criteria, should their responsivity (or lack thereof) to my messages warrant it.

Errors in adjudication
I'm only human, so there's the possibility of mistakes. Please check the map after orders to be sure I have it right, especially if there's a particularly thorny situation in play. Any error not reported by the next movement or build phase is final*, so say something as soon as you see it.

*If there is an error in number of builds awarded, this will be corrected in the nearest builds phase from when it is noticed. This is the only exception to the error not caught by the next phase is final rule.

And of course, the GM's decision is final.

Additional discord rules:
For this run of War in the Americas, Discord will be used as the messaging platform. If you have issues setting up or running discord, please message me immediately, and we’ll attempt to work them out. Maps will be posted both on the forum and in the “maps” channel on discord, and there will be a post in the “announcements” channel of discord for every new phase. The “public chat” channel is intended to be used the same as public press. Orders must still be submitted using PlayDip’s messaging system. Retreats posted on the forum will be counted, retreats posted in discord will not be counted. The discord channel can be found here: https://discord.gg/rNFDaun

Please do not share screenshots of comms. Forwarding messages is of course fine, but please refrain from sharing screengrabs of communications between other players.

If you attempt to impersonate another players nickname on discord, you are subject to removal from the game at the mods discretion.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: War in the Americas VII (with special comms!) (In signup

Postby Alman » 29 Jun 2018, 14:23

OOOH OOOH, yes, x1000. I got back to the site just in time!!

One of my favorite variants and run by one of my favorite GM's!

I'm IN.

And I have until August to figure out this new-fangled messaging thing. :)

"You can teach an old dog new tricks, but you don't want to watch the old dog doing the new tricks."
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)

Re: War in the Americas VII GM Rules

Postby AKFD » 29 Jun 2018, 14:52

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Reserved for GM rules.

Nook, what does this mean?

And if possible, I'm in!
Silver Classicist!

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 830
All-game rating: 764
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 29 Jun 2018, 14:56

Alman wrote:OOOH OOOH, yes, x1000. I got back to the site just in time!!

One of my favorite variants and run by one of my favorite GM's!

I'm IN.

And I have until August to figure out this new-fangled messaging thing. :)

"You can teach an old dog new tricks, but you don't want to watch the old dog doing the new tricks."

Aww, too nice!

It's pretty simple, really. Just takes 15 to 30 minutes or so of fiddling to see how it works, it's pretty straightforward though, especially if you've used any other messaging app/interface :)

AKFD wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:Reserved for GM rules.

Nook, what does this mean?

And if possible, I'm in!

It means that I'll post my GM house rules there at a later date, when I get around to customizing them for this particular game. I'm also still deciding how I want to handle draws, I've been testing a few different methods in my last couple PbF games, think I've settled on one that I like but I'm not 100% on it yet.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 29 Jun 2018, 14:57

I’m in.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451

Postby boldblade » 29 Jun 2018, 15:22

Yes please!
boldblade

Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)
Timezone: GMT

Postby asudevil » 29 Jun 2018, 15:23

In
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby joe92 » 29 Jun 2018, 15:32

Hat off and thrown in ring.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1721
Timezone: GMT

Postby StarkAdder » 29 Jun 2018, 16:14

I may be too late but I am interested too. If sign-up list is full, happy to serve as an alternate.
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1193
All-game rating: 1023

Next

Return to War in the Americas 7