Diplomacy of Ice & Fire: Fall 304 AC & AARs

7 player Game of Thrones variant introduced to playdip by Presser84, with updated rules from Aeschines. GMed by Aeschines. Solo win by Groo.

Moderator: Morg

Diplomacy of Ice & Fire: Fall 304 AC & AARs

Postby Aeschines » 17 Aug 2018, 04:11

Congratulations to Groo of House Baratheon, First of His Name & Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms!

A Spider's Notes: 318/S,

King Stannis is the man who killed a kingdom, to save a people. I think I am honored to have served him, though I wish some of our greatest accomplishments never see the inside of a maester's history. Stannis' decision to cut off the north, to leave the lands of the direwolf to the voracious armies of the dead was not the kind of decision a "good" king makes. However, the victory at the Battle of the Neck will be sung by heralds until the sun grows dark and cold and falls from the sky. But, dearest diary, I have a confession to make. When it became clear that the war was won, Stannis did not pass gently into repose with the Lord of Light. His death, though the Priests of R'hllor may say otherwise, was of a more earthly make.

Though he was necessary. King Stannis was sickening. On his hands is the blood of every great house of Westeros, bar one. A man like Stannis was not made for peace. His dragon queen and I knew all to well that after the victory at the Neck, with the prophets proclaiming his holiness, the Seven Kingdoms were finished. Stannis would not stop until every opponent was burnt at his stake yet, if he died, there was no one left to unite the realms. We decided that it was better to see him a dead hero than a living tyrant. I poisoned his food and she his drink. He was dead in a fortnight.

That a civil war that rages around me now... is worth it. Stannis accomplished what he came here to do. That I was a part of it is both my greatest treasure and my greatest shame. His zealots are coming to "take me into custody." I look forward to finding out if those damnable red priests have been right, this whole time.

All who walk the halls of power walk the spider's web.

Iskis the Spider

Game of Thrones Diplomacy Fall AC 304.png
Game of Thrones Diplomacy Fall AC 304.png (59.12 KiB) Viewed 606 times

Pootleflump - House Targaryen
Dearest Iskis

F Narrow Sea move Northern Narrow Sea... succeeded
A Winterfell support A Karhold to Dreadfort... supported unit succeeded
A Karhold move Dreadfort... succeeded (dislodging Dreadfort to Shivering Sea)
F The Bite support Karhold to Dreadfort... succeeded

Also, we are pleased to announce a marriage. Daenarys is to marry Stannis. House Targaryen marries House Baratheon to reside at D.S. Isle... succeeded

Your wedding invite is enclosed.

Your friend

Khaleesi

"Fire and Blood."

StarkAdder - House Martell
eliminated Fall 301 AC

"Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken."

willie23 - House Stark
Orders irrelevant/NMR
Eliminated Fall 304 AC

"Winter Is Coming."

Sour Flour - House Greyjoy
Eliminated Spring 300 AC

"We Do Not Sow."

ccloughley - House Lannister
Eliminated Fall 303 AC

"Hear Me Roar!"

Groo - House Baratheon
Stannis swiftly seized most of the known world. In order to defeat the army of the Dead he needed dragons though. And more Royal blood. Starks were just another mean to get closer to that cause. He needed them to get rid of the Lannisters. Now he doesn't need them any more...besides Sansa was a rather boring wife. There was no spark between them. He longed for the passionate and fiery lover who...well, who was more like Khaleesi. He couldn't sacrifice Sansa too though, the public would protest. That's why she accidentaly slipped and fell down the stairs. Besides, he liked Arya and he wants her as successor one day.

And the "all so necessary" bonfire? well why do you think Doran is still alive? The first enemy is going to burn last. That's how wicked Stannis is!

Orders:
Execute Doran Martell. (Sacrifice to the lord od the Light)... succeeded
Execute Sansa Stark. (Make it look like an accident)... succeeded
Marry Daenerys Targaryen at DS Isle (after defeating the White Walkers, Stannis retired there to spend the rest of his life with his wife and their winged fire breathing children. He left the throne to his brother's bastard Gendry who engaged Arya)... succeeded

A Riverlands - the Twins... succeeded
A Kingsroad support A Riverlands to the Twins... supported unit succeeded
A Great Wyk - Pyke... succeeded
F Ironman's Bay - Great Wyk... succeeded
A the Reach - Lannisport... succeeded
A Searoad support the Reach to Lannisport... supported unit succeeded
A Prince's Pass - Sandstone... succeeded
F Braavosi Coast - Braavos... succeeded
Rest holds... succeeded

"Ours Is the Fury."

AKFD - House Tyrell
Eliminated Fall 303 AC

"Growing Strong."

Winter Unit & SC Count
Groo - House Baratheon... 16 Units, 22 SCs
Pootleflump - House Targaryen... 4 Units, 4 SCs
willie23 - House Stark... 2 Units, 3 SCs, eliminated
ccloughley - House Lannister... 3 Units, 2 SCs, eliminated
AKFD - House Tyrell... 4 Units, 3 SCs, eliminated
StarkAdder - House Martell... 0 Units, 0 SCs, eliminated
Sour Flour - House Greyjoy... 0 Units, 0 SCs, eliminated
Last edited by Aeschines on 17 Aug 2018, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1454
All-game rating: 1640
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Diplomacy of Ice & Fire: Fall 304 AC & AARs

Postby Aeschines » 17 Aug 2018, 04:14

Thank you all so much for playing! Please use the space below to share your thoughts on the game. This was a starkly bloody game with 5/7 players being eliminated and a solo victory. So I'm certain there is a lot to hear about!

I'm also eager to find out what you think should be changed for DoI&F III. Currently, I'm of the opinion that the map & rules played as designed (to my great delight) but I'm always interested in player feedback.

Congratulations Groo!

And a huge thank you to everyone else, your in-character messages and orders were truly an absolute delight!
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Standard rating: 1454
All-game rating: 1640

Postby Groo » 17 Aug 2018, 07:16

Thanks for killing me, I deserved it :p

TY all for the game. I enjoyed being a mad villan.
- ser, I'm afraid you've become mad with power
- of course I have! Have you tried being mad without power? It's boring, nobody ever listens to you.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1604
All-game rating: 1683
Timezone: GMT

Postby AKFD » 17 Aug 2018, 10:24

Good game everyone!

Gonna post an AAR for the first time!
Doing it when I get home!

Also Aeschines,

I'm definitely in for DoIaF III!

But first, power balances will come with my AAR!
Silver Classicist!

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 830
All-game rating: 776
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 17 Aug 2018, 14:37

Looking forward to reading the AARs as well.
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1063
All-game rating: 1179
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby StarkAdder » 17 Aug 2018, 15:28

My AAR is short. We were bowed, bent and broken.

By Groo. Supported by the doomed Tyrells. Flirted with but never embraced by the Dragon Queen. Too far away from the others to help. And then burned alive by Stannis.

Oh well, my brother Oberyn will get an eye for an eye.

Umm, never mind....

the Ghost of Doran Martell
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1208
All-game rating: 1074

Postby AKFD » 17 Aug 2018, 16:08

StarkAdder wrote:My AAR is short. We were bowed, bent and broken.

By Groo. Supported by the doomed Tyrells. Flirted with but never embraced by the Dragon Queen. Too far away from the others to help. And then burned alive by Stannis.

Oh well, my brother Oberyn will get an eye for an eye.

Umm, never mind....

the Ghost of Doran Martell

Ouch. Margaery got burned and sacrificed to R'hllor too.
Probably the Red Woman's work...

I have to explain a lot of my actions...
Silver Classicist!

AKFD
Premium Member

Postby AKFD » 17 Aug 2018, 17:14

Okay guys... Here's my full AAR...

Commentary on the game itself:
1) The game is adequately sized; this has the same number of Supply Centers and number of Players from the standard Diplomacy. This game gets complex with the rules though. All the marriages, executions and remarriages made this game really fun to play.

1.5) Here's a list of all marriages and executions:
Spring 298 AC: House Lannister-House Targaryen
Fall 298 AC: House Baratheon-House Tyrell
Spring 300 AC: Greyjoy Heir executed by House Lannister, and House Greyjoy is out of game.
Spring 301 AC: First Targaryen heir executed by House Lannister
Fall 301 AC: House Lannister-House Stark. By then, House Martell is out of the game due to 0 supply centers and not heir execution.
Fall 303 AC: Tyrell heir executed by House Baratheon. Lannister heir executed by House Stark. Both Houses Tyrell and Lannister are out of the game.
Fall 304 AC: Martell heir is executed by House Baratheon for the heck of it. Stark heir is also executed by House Baratheon, thus eliminating House Stark. House Baratheon-House Targaryen

2) I LOVE this variant because of the importance and emphasis on negotiation. Unlike the other variants, this variant in my opinion is very hard to play with gunboat.

3) I love the credibility of the players here; Stark Adder and ccloughley are players from the first version, Groo, Willie23, Pootleflump and Sour Flour are also excellent players. And most importantly, for a good game in Diplomacy, you need a very excellent GM. And Aeschines was that person.

Good game Groo, and to everyone else! And thanks to Master Aeschines for this game, to Iskis for those commentaries (who’s doing it next game?) and of course, everyone who was involved in crafting this marvelous variant.

Balance Changes:
1) I was shocked to see House Greyjoy out after 3 in-game years! This was due to the Harlaw nerf. In my humble opinion, Harlaw needs to be restored as a Supply Center.
2) Changes to House Baratheon’s unit and SC positions are needed. Same goes for the Lannisters and Tyrells. In my opinion, they have such powerful opening potential.

2.5) Does this mean you heavily nerfed last game’s survivors, Stark, Greyjoy and Martell @Aeschines?

3) I have planned and I am still revising a map expansion. The aim of this is to:
A) Add 2 new players, Houses Arryn and Tully to the game, so we can have a better recreation of the War of The Five Kings, in which the game is set.
B) Increase the need for communication and to make this game more tense.
C) Give all houses an equal number of Neutral Supply Centers up for grabs within their realm.

4) Has anyone asked why 34 Supply Centers? We need Harlaw AND Duskendale as supply centers. (Duskendale took Harlaw's place as the 34th Supply Center) In fact, I think that there's an excess of neutral spaces, especially in the Kingdom f the Vale...

And to everyone’s favorite part:
THE GAME ANALYSIS!

Initial Thoughts:
1) House Baratheon- I set my lowest bid here. This is because of the House positioning. I mean, who would want the Targaryens, Lannisters, Tyrells and Martells choking on you? So I thought the Baratheons were a threat to the Tyrell land, but I had to consider the Martells.
2) House Greyjoy- I set my second highest bid here. This is due to House Greyjoy’s isolation, which I honestly love. We had a fair amount of comms before Spring 298 AC.
3) House Lannister- My second lowest bid was with them. Same reasons as the Baratheons. They were the first player I thought would make a good ally against the Baratheons, thinking that I have to defend Highgarden AND get Dornish Marches (How foolish of me)
4) House Martell- My 4th highest bid. I had thoughts of opening comms with you, but stupid me didn’t. I wanted to ally with you against the Baratheons. Thinking of splitting the Supply Centers between us, namely Sandstone and Dornish Marches.
5) House Stark- Highest bid here. I was honestly disappointed with how House Stark played later on, but more on that later. I wanted to play Stark, and I lost a 50/50 chance :( but whatever, I didn’t need to talk to House Stark except when I mentioned them in comms with Lannister and Greyjoy
6) House Targaryen- Third highest bid.Pootle is awesome. But there were many other reasons why I wanted House Targaryen as an ally: House Baratheon’s imminent threat, the same with house Martell, and A possible alliance with House Lannister.

SPRING 298 AC- FALL 299 AC:
1) House Baratheon- Just before the adjudication of the first ever phase, House Baratheon opened comms with me. I was thrilled to say the least. Up until this point I had no comms with Martell, and they would prove annoying in these phases. This means Highgarden is safe for that time. And then we can do an anti-Martell/ anti-Lannister charge in the early phase. In the Fall of 298, a marriage has been done, solidifying our alliance and successfully charging at the Martells.
2) House Greyjoy- I was shocked with how fast House Lannister obliterated your House. Was it because of unluckiness? Or was it because of the Harlaw nerf? Anyways, you fought well. But you should have negotiated with the Starks or even the Martells. I’m also very sorry for not helping you in that critical moment of your fate.
3) House Lannister- Things seemed fine in this phase. You were quickly growing, and quickly dominating. You crushed House Greyjoy and got all the SCs in the Riverlands. So a marriage with House Targaryen alarmed me. In retaliation, I had to marry House Baratheon. Then I got scared when you took the Greyjoys off the board. This prompted me to keep sending messages to House Targaryen.
4) House Martell- In my opinion, he was a very good player. But an unfortunate Tyrell-Baratheon alliance crushed the Martell solo potential. You fought bravely and valiantly, things I expect from the Dornish. (But most of my moves failed because 1. Lack of support and 2. “Invalid Order”) But anyways, you fought well, and I hope we can see that in other games. One other thing I would like to point out is your potential Greyjoy relationship. The game would have been more tense if I saw a Greyjoy-Martell alliance. That would scare me further. Or a Lannister-Martell alliance, that would even scare me further.
5) House Stark- Nice opening there, but I really would have appreciated it if you took the Supply Center “Beyond the Wall”. That was in all honesty an easy grab for the Starks. Then, a Lannister-Stark alliance/Greyjoy-Stark alliance were viable options for alliances.
6) House Targaryen- I know, you keep ignoring my messages, and our relationship started sour. But nice choice on allying with House Lannister for the extra Supply Centers. I know you were scared of House Baratheon, my ally. I was also scared of you crushing him, and what would that mean to my fate in Storm’s End. But I loved your type of play: You were my favorite user in the game because of the sole fact that you like to open negotiations in a funny way.

House Tyrell’s plans: My original plan was to get into Baratheon lands and make an alliance with Lannister, and I wanted to ally with Targaryen so badly if you ask me. But after 2 yearsof gameplay, my plans would drastically change.

My order of comms goes like this (for this part of the game):
A) Tyrell-Lannister
B) Greyjoy- Tyrell
C) Baratheon- Tyrell
D) Tyrell- Targaryen

Most comms went to Baratheon, with quite a number from Lannister. I was unable to contact House Martell because of the Baratheon preference.

ADVICE TO FUTURE TYRELL PLAYERS: Between House Baratheon and Hose Martell, you can only befriend one. And it's usually the first one you set up comms with.

I was not able to make comms with House Stark because unlike the other houses, they have no influence over my moves whatsoever.

Initial Plans were to take Arbor only, until I studied the Mander, in which I had Shield Isles. But a Lannister bounce in Searoad will make me unable to get Shield Isles. Fortunately, Lannister was busy fighting the Greyjoys as he stated that in the comms. So I was able to take the Shield Isles unchallenged. I nabbed Sandstone from House Martell with the aid of House Baratheon. And this wouldn't have happened if I befriended House Martell instead of House Baratheon.

SPRING 300 AC- FALL 301 AC:
1) House Baratheon- We have formalized our union together by this stage and we have wrecked through the deserts of Dorne. However, my turning point comes when you formally introduce me to Khaleesi. I will never forget the moment me and my family first saw someone of Valyrian blood. It was truly a memorable experience. When it comes to war, Ser Groo is the best warrior I can ever imagine, and this was proven in the siege of Casterly Rock. Your units have positions that are absolutely well-placed, and that no one can stand in your way of domination.
2) House Lannister- Lord Tywin did what I expected him to do: fight my forces, and making sure that House Lannister IS House Lannister. He fought bravely in battle, slaying many of my forces himself. I recount the times in battle when he would single-handedly defeat an entire legion of mine... But fighting against 3 houses (Baratheon, Targaryen and Tyrell) is easier said than done, especially when all are allies with each other (Which was the case!) and you have no other allies. But House Lannister is no fool, and they are able to hold our forces in Casterly Rock. And when things go wrong, he always has a back-up plan, and he put his into good use, saving the house from doom (The plan was to make Cersei Lannister mary Robb Stark, if my memory's correct). To summarize, no one should just charge against ccloughley; one must do it with skill and determination, as that's what he showed us. Congrats House Lannister.
3) House Martell- In all honesty, I feel pity for Prince Doran. The Martell's weakness has been uncovered: A Tyrell-Baratheon alliance with Targaryens and Lannisters unable to help. Future Martells will know of this and will use it to their advantage. But StarkAdder is such an awesome player that it took longer than expected to take him down. And that's what I admire him for. StarkAdder commended me for my skill. It's about time I commend him for his skill.
4) House Stark- I was beginning to wonder how House Stark will influence my moves until I had the Lannister conflict and the sudden marriage. I still failed to make comms with him, and this is probably one of the worst mistakes I did. If I was able to make comms with him, I could have stabbed Lord Stannis ****** ** *** *** **** ***** ** ** (SPOILERS, continue reading to find out). House Stark was probably the reason why House Lannister both failed and succeeded, although I'm still questioning why has House Stark not touched Beyond The Wall.
5) House Targaryen- I finally got to know Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, of the blood of Old Valyria. Because of this, we established a healthy communication system along with House Baratheon. This way, we were able to take the Lannister Supply Centers. I believe this was one of the best stabs I have ever seen, a slow stab at Harrenhal, then a full-blown hit at Riverrun and Lannisport. House Targaryen was also the reason why I got Lannisport. SO thanks a lot!

House Tyrell's Plan: By this time, I have established a healthy relationship with Baratheon, and I was ready to expand by then. And House Targaryen came along! A "Trio Fantastico" (That's what Groo calls it) was formed, and my hopes were high.

I was planning to get into Greyjoy Supply Centers. And by then, Groo sent the original 3-way draw proposal between Tyrell, Targaryen and Baratheon:

AKFD wrote:Baratheon proposed me getting Shield Isles, Great Wyk, Pyke and Flint's Finger. Baratheon would get Casterly Rock, The Twins, Sunspear and Godsgrace.

You, Khaleesi, will get Braavos and all of the Stark SCs. Baratheon will help you against him. Then, that's when we can do the 3 way draw.

The split was finalized later, that's why I was heading west, Khaleesi took Braavos and Karhold, and Groo was heading North to The Twins

SPRING 302 AC- FALL 303 AC:
1) House Baratheon- Ok, it seemed fine for a while, but then it had to happen. YOU STABBED ME.
You did what a PlayDip player would do. Well played, Lord Stannis. Surely something I can learn from.
I was executed in the Fall as a sacrifice to the Lord of the Light, and It was this time that Groo pointed out my mistake: I was too much of a carebear. I learned my lesson. And I will cherish this moment. On the other hand, Groo did such an excellent stab that he got a record 6 builds, and the dead Lannister-Tyrell combo thanks to his sudden allegiance to House Stark set him for a guaranteed victory. This is the best play I have ever seen in PlayDip.
2) House Lannister- I did not expect the sudden death of your House, you were fighting valiantly against me. And then it all went downhill from there. I should take more consideration into my plans, and I must not reject any proposal as it is still a proposal and that it can be built on.
3) House Stark- Your play style has stepped up when you married Lord Stannis. A quick murder on the Lannisters opened the gates for Groo's victory, but you had to nonetheless. With the dragons approaching Winterfell.
4) House Targaryen- The only other house to survive aside from the winner, you had witnessed me, your former ally, die at the hands of the Lord of the Light. You also lost HALF of your supply centers in one year. That's such a sad loss.

But you held on.

You are not a woman. You are a dragon.

And you proved being resilient in face of difficult times.

You even tried to negotiate with everyone else even though you know that it will fail. Even though it did fail, you wanted to help us recover. You have such a kind heart, Khaleesi. It was a pleasure meeting you.

House Tyrell's plan: My plan was to take Shield Isles back and also the Arbor. Nothing else, since I thought we were nearing the draw. But it happened. And all my plans shattered. But I held on, even though I can't do anything about it. I wanted to fight, as my men are "Growing Strong".

SPRING 304 AC- FALL 304 AC:
1) House Baratheon- We knew it that you would win by this time, but the last-minute execution of Sansa Stark and the marriage of Lord Stannis and Khaleesi was unexpected. You also killed Doran! Why? (But I knew this day would come, where Daenerys will be crowned Queen through a marriage with one of my allies, Baratheon)
2) House Stark- Sansa's dead. In a last-minute moment. But you fought well. I just hope that Arya and Bran are still alive.
3) House Targaryen- You made it! You survived! You used all skills to live a happy ending.

Final Commentaries: I cannot use enough words to express how much I love this run of this variant. It was tense, exciting, and most of all, IT WAS THRILLING FOR PLAYERS AND AUDIENCE ALIKE.

This is the spirit of Margaery Tyrell, signing off.
Silver Classicist!

AKFD
Premium Member

Postby willie23 » 19 Aug 2018, 06:49

First, I’d like to apologize to all players and Aeschines for my late responses, NMRs, and general lack of playing. It wouldn’t take a genius to figure out I have no clue who or what the game of thrones is and therefore have no role play abilities. At the time of the start of this game I wanted to play because the varient looked great and I wasn’t tied up. As the game progressed, and I realized how little I knew, and I became increasingly busy, I started to pay less and less attention to the game. For a little while that worked, as I was safe and sound up north, but later I became a little of an influence on the game. I sent most everyone a message at one point or another, but I didn’t try particularly hard to forge a solid alliance. I meant to grab Beyond the wall but I tried once and didn’t get it and then turned back south.

I enjoyed the varient and as far as I can tell it is extremely well balanced and I really like the heir gameplay. Thanks for a great game and I hope ya’ll enjoyed it as much as I did or more(hopefully a lot more).

Regards,
Willie
“Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible;”— General T. J. Jackson

Bronze Member of the Classicists
Member of the Whippersnappers.
United Republic of New Texas In CYOC
Check out the PlayDip Historical Society!
willie23
Premium Member

Location: Lordsburg, New Mexico, USA (Right on Interstate-10)
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1002
All-game rating: 999

Postby AKFD » 19 Aug 2018, 07:02

willie23 wrote:First, I’d like to apologize to all players and Aeschines for my late responses, NMRs, and general lack of playing. It wouldn’t take a genius to figure out I have no clue who or what the game of thrones is and therefore have no role play abilities. At the time of the start of this game I wanted to play because the varient looked great and I wasn’t tied up. As the game progressed, and I realized how little I knew, and I became increasingly busy, I started to pay less and less attention to the game. For a little while that worked, as I was safe and sound up north, but later I became a little of an influence on the game. I sent most everyone a message at one point or another, but I didn’t try particularly hard to forge a solid alliance. I meant to grab Beyond the wall but I tried once and didn’t get it and then turned back south.

I enjoyed the varient and as far as I can tell it is extremely well balanced and I really like the heir gameplay. Thanks for a great game and I hope ya’ll enjoyed it as much as I did or more(hopefully a lot more).

Regards,
Willie

It's okay! I only got my role-play skills by Fall 299.

Surely Pootle, ccloughley and later Groo are really good role-players.

But why did you not get Beyond the Wall? I was hoping you would.
Silver Classicist!

AKFD
Premium Member

Next

Return to Diplomacy of Ice and Fire II [Game 5]