Who will win the 2 PC Tournament? (& Bracket Predictions)

Moderator: TTBen

Who do you think will win the (France vs Austria) 2 Player Challenge Tournament?

Poll ended at 10 May 2018, 20:11

Seed 1 Undefeated Mhsmith0 6-0 41 Pool I (has played 34 playdip 2PC games outside of this tournament)
24%
Seed 2 Undefeated Sinnybee 6-0 37 Pool H
9%
Seed 3 Undefeated Cliff Dancer 6-0 36 Pool J (has 1 other archived 2PC game)
9%
Tied for Seed 4 Undefeated JacobL582 6-0 35 Pool K
3%
Tied for Seed 4 Undefeated Machor 6-0 35 Pool A (has 1 other archived 2PC game)
9%
Seed 6 Undefeated Lb1785 6-0 28 Pool C (has 1 other archived 2PC game)
No votes
Jensen, Bravo Papa Alpha, Fatmo, badivan1, condude1, or Don Juan of Austria----the players who have or who likely will end up with 5 wins & 1 loss in Pool Play
18%
One of the other players who has or who is about to qualify for the Bracket Round (32 player single elimination)
9%
I really have absolutely no idea
18%

Total votes : 33

Re: Who will win the 2 PC Tournament? (& Bracket Predictions

Postby mhsmith0 » 10 May 2018, 22:51

sinnybee wrote:
mhsmith0 wrote:Something something Smith is bad at fog of war.

Fwiw I’d say that Jensen is probably underrated as a dark horse, and I’m quite happy to see him on the south side of the bracket. Jensen/sinny may be a fun quarterfinals matchup to watch.

Why, because he's beaten you? :P
I think that Jensen is overrated--he had two easy opponents in his pool and as I've mentioned before, I think that his loss against Damon could have easily been avoided.
I think that Bravo Papa Alpha would be a harder quarterfinals match-up for me than Jensen would be.

I've played a few 1v1 games against jensen outside the tournament (not just FvA, some other stuff) and generally found him to be pretty competent and a good challenge. I vaguely recall soemthing about his loss where it seemed like he tried to yolo a gambit and it blew up, which obviously is submoptimal, but 5-0 in round 1 is right aroudn when if you're going to try something like that, that's the time to do it :P
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby sinnybee » 10 May 2018, 23:49

mhsmith0 wrote:
sinnybee wrote:Why, because he's beaten you? :P

I've played a few 1v1 games against jensen outside the tournament (not just FvA, some other stuff) and generally found him to be pretty competent and a good challenge.

I know lol, that's what I was just talking about.

I have mostly just looked into results and who played who, so I could be very wrong in my predictions, but from what I've seen, I think that Bravo Papa Alpha might be the better player, even if Jensen had gone 6-0.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby mhsmith0 » 11 May 2018, 00:04

Tough to say since I haven't really looked at BPA. Then again, maybe we'll meet in the finals and I'll need to do some research then :twisted:
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Postby Jensen » 11 May 2018, 06:51

I'm worried about BPA because the only player they lost to (sour flour) is not in the bracket round. That's as good as being 6-0.

Anyway, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Have to beat arp first and they are 2-1 as Austria in pool play.
Jensen

Standard rating: 1444
All-game rating: 1448
Timezone: GMT

Postby Cliff Dancer » 16 May 2018, 04:52

sinnybee wrote:My opinion is that by the time we get to the semifinals, Cliff Dancer and I will be the two best players at FvA in the tournament (and probably with mhsmith0 as the third best).
Kind of surprising to me to see that I was the only one who predicted that I would take the top spot and also surprising to me that there was only one prediction of Cliff Dancer taking the top spot.

Why do I think Cliff Dancer is better than mhsmith0?

Well, I don't think that Miller1254 is better than mhsmith0 at FvA, but I think that he has done a very respectable job beating him at several 2PC matches:
Miller won as Germany against mhsmith0 as Russia
Miller won as Germany against mhsmith0 as France
Miller won as Russia against mhsmith0 as France

Now, let's look at the fantastic Pool J:
Miller (2-4) < mkrzyszt (4-2) < Cliff Dancer (6-0)

Miller is a very good FvA player
mkrzyszt is a great FvA player
Cliff Dancer is an amazing FvA player

I have Miller losing to Fatmo in Round 1, but wish he had a lesser opponent so I could have put Miller down for an upset (or two).
I have mkrzyszt down as doing very well.
I wish Cliff Dancer were in the top half of the bracket so I could have him take out mhsmith0 for me lol so that I won't have to study smith's moves for the final.

I think that I make it to the semis while still undefeated (never going to a game 3), but that I will have a very hard challenge against Cliff Dancer and mhsmith0.

Damn, Sinnybee! Thanks for the kind words - I did have a lot of fun playing in our pool, and had some really tough challenges (particularly game 1 vs mkrzyszt was extremely close/tough), but I'm more surprised you've studied up on ALL of the other talent already! I figure I'd just look at your game history right before we play ;)

And also, you had 1 bracket taking CD all the way?? I'm almost 100% sure that was my bracket :P

Anyway - I'm looking forward to the continued challenge and mental stimulation, and hope we make it to the semis. If either of us do not, then I'd like to play a round of FvA with you anyways.

~CD
CliffDancer, Russia in Colonial 7, Northumbria in Heptarchy XV, The Greys in Invasion Earth
Cliff Dancer

Standard rating: (1390)
All-game rating: (1418)

Postby Jensen » 16 Aug 2018, 17:17

3 matches to go and there are still 4 people left in the running to take out the tipping comp.

If mhsmith0 wins the tourney, Jensen wins the tipping.
Else, if Jensen wins the SF, JacobL582 wins the tipping.
Else, if mhsmith0 wins the SF, Sinnybee wins the tipping.
Else, if Condude1 wins the SF, Nanook wins the tipping.
Jensen

Standard rating: 1444
All-game rating: 1448

Postby mhsmith0 » 16 Aug 2018, 17:43

Somewhat ironically, I'm crushing it in my picks in the webdip tourneys despite falling outside the top 16 in F/A (top 16 in winners bracket but lost 2 straight) and sitting in the losers bracket in G/I, whereas here I'm doing fairly well in the games but less so on my picks :P

Than again:

mhsmith0 wrote:Something something Smith is bad at fog of war.

Fwiw I’d say that Jensen is probably underrated as a dark horse, and I’m quite happy to see him on the south side of the bracket. Jensen/sinny may be a fun quarterfinals matchup to watch.

8-)
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Postby condude1 » 17 Aug 2018, 08:17

Wow, I just checked those predictions. Apparently PlayDip had very little faith in me... I feel very satisfied in screwing up everyone's predictions (except Nanook, the only person who voted for me to make the semis)!

Cliff Dancer and I were very evenly matched. Two of our games came to within a center.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 17 Aug 2018, 19:23

condude1 wrote:Wow, I just checked those predictions. Apparently PlayDip had very little faith in me... I feel very satisfied in screwing up everyone's predictions (except Nanook, the only person who voted for me to make the semis)!

Cliff Dancer and I were very evenly matched. Two of our games came to within a center.

They haven't seen you play PbF.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mhsmith0 » 21 Aug 2018, 20:56

8-)
mhsmith0
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to 2-Player Challenge Tournament 2018