Countdown to the Bracket Round 2pc Update

Moderator: TTBen

Re: Countdown to the Bracket Round 2pc Update

Postby sinnybee » 08 May 2018, 02:42

TTBen wrote:Some notes to add here in case anyone wanted to know as to how the 3 ties were broken.

31st and 32nd — Chaser was placed as #32 instead of 31 to avoid a rematch of pool play with sinnybee. This made Maucat #31.

4th and 5th; 14th and 15th — No rematch possibilities existed for round 1 or round 2 so the ties were broken by the higher ranking coming into the tournament. Machor (1757) got the 4 seed over JacobL582 (1000) and Damon Huntington (1196) got the 14 seed over BlueBorjigin (1154)

If Machor and JacobL582 play against each other in round 3 and if they are 1-1 after their first two games,
I think that whoever won their game in the earlier year (the same tie-breaker we used in pool play) should get to choose which country they will play in game 3
and that if a second tie-breaker is needed, whoever got to more supply centers in their win should get to choose which country they will play in game 3
and that if a third tie-breaker is needed, whoever got to more supply centers in their loss should get to choose which country they will play in game 3

(If you don't like the second and third tie-breakers above, it could instead be:
that if a second tie-breaker is needed, whoever had less losses in their previous bracket games (less times going to game 3) should get to choose which country they will play in game 3
and that if a third tie-breaker is needed, whoever had the better year won/loss on their previous bracket games (the same tie-breaker we used in pool play) should get to choose which country they will play in game 3)

I don't think that rating should be more important than tournament results

...while I'm at it... I think that the final should use the above tie breakers too, without regard to pool seeding...
anyone who gets to the final has already gone undefeated in four rounds of the bracket... the seeding of pool play should certainly be less important by then than results of the first two games of the final (or of the prior 4 rounds of the bracket).
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby mhsmith0 » 08 May 2018, 10:47

Clearly sinny is nervous about having to double dip against smith’s austria game :P
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby TTBen » 08 May 2018, 15:04

I can certainly see the point in the situation between Machor and Jacob, the standard game rating is not really a good measure of skill for this game at all and since they TIED during pool play anyways I get why there might be an alternate tiebreaker between the 2 of them (or between the other 2 pool play ties in the unusual case they actually play). My only issue is that I’m not sure now is the time to be making such changes. If Machor and Jacob agree to such a tiebreak in the event they play though I don’t have issue (this same message will be PM’d)
PbF GM
— African Diplomacy 5 -Finished
-- Warring States2 Ongoing

PbF Player
—Tournament of Swords (ongoing)

Platinum member of Classicists

Organizer for 2PC Tournament in 2018
TTBen

Standard rating: (1151)
All-game rating: (1690)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby JacobL582 » 08 May 2018, 15:16

Of course I like it, since it actually gives me a chance to get to pick my side for a potential game3! We’ll see if Machor agrees, since it could only hurt him...
JacobL582

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1081)
All-game rating: (1057)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby TTBen » 08 May 2018, 15:46

He agreed

So in the event Machor and Jacob play and a game 3 is needed:
TIEBREAK 1: Whoever won their game in the earlier year (the same tie-breaker we used in pool play) should get to choose which country they will play in game 3

TIEBREAK 2: Whoever got to more supply centers in their win should get to choose which country they will play in game 3

TIEBREAK 3: Whoever got to more supply centers in their loss should get to choose which country they will play in game 3

— If tie is still not broken then it reverts back to the standard rating method (Machor wins tiebreak here)
PbF GM
— African Diplomacy 5 -Finished
-- Warring States2 Ongoing

PbF Player
—Tournament of Swords (ongoing)

Platinum member of Classicists

Organizer for 2PC Tournament in 2018
TTBen

Standard rating: (1151)
All-game rating: (1690)
Timezone: GMT-6